One-way rental on points

Old Mar 31, 19, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
One-way rental on points

I need to relocate myself for a flight and I have a bunch of Hertz points I can use. However using 1100 pts for one weekend-day one-way rental only discounts the base rental rate ($50ish) and leaves the ancillary fees, including the drop fee (which makes the entire rental more expensive than flying). Is this normal? I rented on points only once before (return-trip) and while the confirmation screen showed a bunch of taxes and fees, when I returned the car I was pleasantly surprised to see the charge to be only a few dollars (licensing fees or something small).

Any experience with these sorts of one-way rentals and billing? thanks in advance
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Taxes and fees also depend on weather it is a airport or local location. With airport locations, they can tack on facility charges, premier rental location etc.
Old Mar 31, 19, 11:25 am

Hertz billing is crap for points rentals. Their system just can't do taxes right.
You'll pay $0 for any % taxes/fees for the rental. Any fixed costs will be passed on to you.
I'm afraid the one-way drop off fee would still stick as well. It's really strange there is one, as I've literally never seen a Hertz one-way rental with a drop fee. Maybe try calling in to see what they say?
Old Mar 31, 19, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klanfa View Post
Hertz billing is crap for points rentals. Their system just can't do taxes right.
You'll pay $0 for any % taxes/fees for the rental. Any fixed costs will be passed on to you.
I'm afraid the one-way drop off fee would still stick as well. It's really strange there is one, as I've literally never seen a Hertz one-way rental with a drop fee. Maybe try calling in to see what they say?
SFO to LAX, for one day, shows the following quote. Notice the "promotion code" applied takes off the daily rate

https://i.imgur.com/B4Uejru.png
Old Apr 1, 19, 4:05 am

That doesn't sound right. I'd try contacting Hertz to see if that's supposed to be the rate. But Gold points are not very valuable anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if it's correct.

​​
Old Apr 1, 19, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Just realized Southwest flies SFO to LAX for cheap and includes luggage. Might just do this for $50 and skip the car; gas alone would cost probably close to $40 and 5 hours driving - not worth.
Auto Enthusiast and Joonydell like this.

Search this Thread