FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Email receipt that car was returned -- but I still have the car! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1961961-email-receipt-car-returned-but-i-still-have-car.html)

LangeDan Mar 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Email receipt that car was returned -- but I still have the car!

I'm a Presidents Circle member, getting married in two days. I rented a car through Hertz at LaGuardia (my home location) yesterday to have through the wedding and a few days after -- to be returned on March 27. I received an email this evening at 5pm or so with a receipt, showing the car was returned at the Philadelphia airport, and due to the difference in location and time of return, my credit card was charged nearly $100 more than the contracted rate for a return next Wednesday.

Problem is, I still have the car and am not returning it until next Wednesday, as contracted!

I've been on the phone with more four different agents from four different departments for more than 45 minutes. No one has any information, and they keep referring me to others. Any advice on how to handle? I keep telling them that as far as they are concerned, my car was returned and as a result, in essence, I just got a free car forever. Obviously I'm not going to keep the car, but this is absurd.

The last thing I need to be dealing with two days before my wedding.

HELP!?

davie355 Mar 21, 2019 6:18 pm

1. Give this absolutely no thought until after your wedding. Congratulations, by the way.
2. Return the car as you normally would. Play dumb; if asked about anything awry, say you are not aware of anything. If there is any issue in the car return line, go to the desk and speak with a manager.
3. Ensure that the correct charge eventually lands on your credit card statement. Dispute any overages.
4. Fornicate copiously with your new spouse.

LangeDan Mar 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Thank you! Helpful perspective, and I'm going to take that advice -- all of it! :)

rtch92 Mar 21, 2019 7:07 pm

Make sure you get the printed copy upon return!

Going back and forth with Hertz with a car that they overcharged me by 41 days.

Disputed it with my CC company, and they are terrible in the first place.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by LangeDan (Post 30914999)
Thank you! Helpful perspective, and I'm going to take that advice -- all of it! :)

m907 Mar 22, 2019 2:55 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30914992)
1. Give this absolutely no thought until after your wedding. Congratulations, by the way.
2. Return the car as you normally would. Play dumb; if asked about anything awry, say you are not aware of anything. If there is any issue in the car return line, go to the desk and speak with a manager.
3. Ensure that the correct charge eventually lands on your credit card statement. Dispute any overages.
4. Fornicate copiously with your new spouse.

If it's his wife he's not fornicating.

KevinMD Mar 22, 2019 6:47 am

Had this happen a few weeks ago. A few hours before I was due to return the car, received email it had been returned. When i returned it a few hours later they couldn't pull it up on tablet and had to go to the booth. Charges would have been the same so they just reprinted receipt.