Platepass - Multiple states?

Old Feb 17, 19, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Platepass - Multiple states?

Hi, a quick question on Platepass please.

I'm picking up a car in Orlando and travelling (one way) through a number of states - Florida, SC, NC, VA, DC. The Platepass option looks simple (dont want to mess around with buying a seperate transponder), however doesnt look like it is accepted everywhere i.e. on the website it says "transponder use may be required". I think the main road i'll be on in VA is I66-East

What happens if they dont support Platepass, do i get issued an infringement via Hertz? any other options here?

Thanks !
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:53 am

Beware: The toll systems are not inter-operable. If you pay an extra daily fee for the Platepass option starting in FL, it will only work with Sunpass. It won't work at all with the EZ Pass system in VA and DC. Likewise, if you started your rental going the opposite direction, and opted into Platepass, it would only work with the EZ Pass system, and would be totally useless once you hit toll roads in FL.
Old Feb 17, 19, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Suggest you read this Why the NC Toll Pass is a Great Buy for Car Renters
Old Feb 17, 19, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Beware: The toll systems are not inter-operable. If you pay an extra daily fee for the Platepass option starting in FL, it will only work with Sunpass. It won't work at all with the EZ Pass system in VA and DC. Likewise, if you started your rental going the opposite direction, and opted into Platepass, it would only work with the EZ Pass system, and would be totally useless once you hit toll roads in FL.
Hmmm the PlatePass site says - “How much does PlatePass cost?

You will be charged for each toll at the highest, undiscounted toll rate plus a $5.95 convenience fee for each calendar day when tolls are incurred. There is no maximum PlatePass convenience fee.”

it doesnt mention that it will only work with one Toll system once activated? I would have thought if I drive through multiple states in one day that only one 5.95 fee would apply plus the toll itself - I have sent an email to PlatePass for clarification

PS in Florida it looks like this is a ‘video’ region for PlatePass so I wasn’t going to organise a seperate transponder. Understand this will cost slightly more but one less thing to organise. Worst comes to worst then outside of Florida can just avoid the toll roads! (Not in a major hurry)

Thanks!

Last edited by bergsey; Feb 17, 19 at 4:30 pm
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:36 pm

Indeed, when renting in FL there normally isn't a transponder in the car, and PlatePass is activated if you drive through a toll by plate/SunPass lane.
Old Feb 18, 19, 1:17 am

I would think that PlatePass has multiple transponders in it. They're usually permanently attached to the cars so with all the one ways it wouldn't make sense to only give it a transponder for the state it's plated in.
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
I would think that PlatePass has multiple transponders in it. They're usually permanently attached to the cars so with all the one ways it wouldn't make sense to only give it a transponder for the state it's plated in.
From what i understand there is no transponder in the vehicle, video is used to capture the plate then processed via Platepass. Looks like that is fine up until VA where it shows on the Platepass website "Transponder use may be required". I'm assuming it is highly unlikely that a car rented in FL will have the right transponder?

m907 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
Except there's no way every car in a nationwide floating fleet can possibly have a unique transponder for each independent toll region in the entire country. FL Sunpass, TxTag, Northeast + Chicago EZ Pass, CA Fastrak, etc. It would be very expensive, and there would as a practical matter not be enough space to mount them all. I've seen some privately owned cars from NY/FL snowbirds have 2 transponders, one for EZ Pass and the other for SunPass. Even that takes up the entire space on the windshield on top of the rearview mirror.
Old Feb 18, 19, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by bergsey View Post
From what i understand there is no transponder in the vehicle, video is used to capture the plate then processed via Platepass. Looks like that is fine up until VA where it shows on the Platepass website "Transponder use may be required". I'm assuming it is highly unlikely that a car rented in FL will have the right transponder?

That would make sense - the non-EZPass states would be processed via video and the EZPass states require a transponder.

The North Carolina QuickPass that AutoSlash wrote about works in Florida and all the EZPass states so that would be the easiest way to go. But I can't imagine that Hertz would try to hold you accountable if their toll pass does not work on a long drive.
Old Feb 18, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Except there's no way every car in a nationwide floating fleet can possibly have a unique transponder for each independent toll region in the entire country. FL Sunpass, TxTag, Northeast + Chicago EZ Pass, CA Fastrak, etc. It would be very expensive, and there would as a practical matter not be enough space to mount them all. I've seen some privately owned cars from NY/FL snowbirds have 2 transponders, one for EZ Pass and the other for SunPass. Even that takes up the entire space on the windshield on top of the rearview mirror.
Agreed. The car will have the transponder for the system that is used in that state/region unless the car you pick is from out of state then it will have the system from that region. Note - on a few occasions in NJ I've gotten cars without EZPass but the person at the gate can add one.
Old Feb 18, 19, 5:02 pm

I've seen rental cars in TX from EZ Pass states that still have a locally useless EZ Pass transponder. I've also had such a car (IL plates) that had empty EZ Pass velcro strips but an off-center installed TxTag transponder box.
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Transponders exist in rental car for 2 reasons. The first is legacy - it's not that long ago that they were required.

The second is that the makes Platepass (and likely Hertz) more money by having them.

In most (all?) states the tolls are cheaper if you use a transponder, but Platepass on-charge the non-transponder rate, which can be several dollars more per trip. By using transponders, Platepass is pocketing the difference between those rates.
jackal likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

For anyone interested, Platepass came back to me with the following response. Looks like i'm going to have to check carefully which roads aren't covered and pay cash at those or avoid them altogether. I can understand how people could get easily caught out !!
-----------------------------------------------------------

"The PlatePass® service is currently offered at $4.95 per day of toll usage plus the actual toll amount. This means that the convenience fee is charged only on the days that tolls are accessed.

PlatePass is accepted in most states with the exception of Kansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Louisiana. So the only state you will be required to pay tolls at is in South Carolina. If a toll is reported as unpaid in South Carolina to the rental agency, it will be processed as a violation, so please take care in that state to ensure your tolls are paid.

In the North East, PlatePass is accepted in all states, however, there are a few Toll Authorities that do require a Transponder. In those cases, they are gated tolls, so if you do not have a transponder in the vehicle, you will be asked to pay cash before they allow you to pass. Since you are picking the vehicle up in Florida, it will not have a Transponder as Florida is a toll by plate state. "
Old Feb 24, 19, 11:00 am

South Carolina only has 2 toll roads. A bridge on Hilton Head Island (can avoid by going the long way around the island) and a bypass of Greenville (Interstate 185)

Pretty unlikely you would be on either.
Old Feb 25, 19, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by devyanks View Post
South Carolina only has 2 toll roads. A bridge on Hilton Head Island (can avoid by going the long way around the island) and a bypass of Greenville (Interstate 185)

Pretty unlikely you would be on either.
we are staying on Hilton head island @ The Holiday inn on S Forest beach drive so will need to go the toll road !
Joonydell likes this.

Search this Thread