Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed: Unwanted UpSell and Fuel charge on bill

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver

Advice needed on what to expect as far as being resolved. I rented a vehicle at Oranjestad - Queen Beatrix International Airport, Aruba on Feb 1-4th. The rental was fine, and I refueled the vehicle about 30 mins prior to returning it, so it was full. The Hertz employee looks at the fuel gauge and tells me it's still short a few gallons once I return! I point to the gauge and it's full! I ask him what he means as it's obviously full and he basically just walks away back into the office. Like an idiot, I didn't get a receipt from the gas station (they are full service, and I forgot to ask the attendant). So I was over charged $21.15 for fuel.
Bigger issue, once checked out, I notice a $40 per day ($140 total) charge on my receipt for "upsell". I didn't agree to any upsell, and I had the same class rental as my reservation. I inquire with the Hertz employee and she says it was because they gave me a different rental class than my reservation. Again, completely not agreed upon when picking up. I protest, she continues on that there's nothing she can do and that I have to contact corporate. I go and catch my flight.
I call Hertz customer support and they explain that there's not much they can do as this location "is privately owned). I do a Google search and there are other examples of this from this location. I send a copy of rental receipt to [email protected] and now I'm just waiting.
Has this happened to anyone else? What can expect from hertz customer relations? Is this a normal rip off in Aruba rental cars?
Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Weren't you given a contract when you picked up the vehicle? If the upcharge was noted there, then that was the time to complain -- before you drove the vehicle away.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:44 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I wouldn't say it's "normal" but it does happen with franchises from time-to-time. If you push hard enough you'll likely get results eventually but it comes down to how much effort you want to expend. There's always the option of filing a credit card chargeback for the disputed amount. Then it's on the rental company to prove their case, but then again, if you signed off on the rental agreement in the first place agreeing to the upcharge, it may be an uphill battle, and the fuel level is your word against theirs, so YMMV.

Oh and before folks start pointing out that you are likely to be put on the DNR list for a credit card chargeback, it's not Hertz corporate that put the charge but rather the franchise, so there isn't much risk there. Good luck!
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976

Weren't you given a contract when you picked up the vehicle? If the upcharge was noted there, then that was the time to complain -- before you drove the vehicle away.
Yes I was. And there was no "Upsell" on that document. It only appeared after I returned it.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If going to complain to Hertz customer relations, I would suggest complaining to rhe country where issue occurred.

Does the rental agreement mention extra charges? if not , then dispute that component with card company.

Does the rental agreement or the terms for Aruba state that a receipt for fuel be provided?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If going to complain to Hertz customer relations, I would suggest complaining to rhe country where issue occurred.

Does the rental agreement mention extra charges? if not , then dispute that component with card company.

Does the rental agreement or the terms for Aruba state that a receipt for fuel be provided?
I'll have to review the receipt and contract and check. I'm more concerned with the $140 upsell than the fuel, but the whole thing has left a bad taste.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
in terms of the fuel charge, you can always call up the gas station and ask them to send you the receipt.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If you don't have a gas receipt, you're probably liable for fuel charge.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: NW GE
I take a picture of the dash with ignition on showing mileage and gas gauge level as the last thing I do for every return. Usually also take a quick video walk around to make sure that if they back the car in to something while cleaning it they can't claim it was my damage that they found after return but before the next rental.

Pretty sad that this sort of thing is the standard with rental car companies.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lrbenko
Yes I was. And there was no "Upsell" on that document. It only appeared after I returned it.
Is the specific vehicle you drove (correctly) identified on the contract you received at pick-up, and on the receipt you received at return? If so, and assuming that the same vehicle is identified on both documents, then I would think that you'd have a pretty good case to challenge the up-sell charge -- either with Hertz or with your credit-card issuer.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lyaec350
I take a picture of the dash with ignition on showing mileage and gas gauge level as the last thing I do for every return. Usually also take a quick video walk around to make sure that if they back the car in to something while cleaning it they can't claim it was my damage that they found after return but before the next rental.

Pretty sad that this sort of thing is the standard with rental car companies.
Not as sad as the many people that seem to think that if they drive a level where the tank is not full, but the needle shows full, that this is somehow ok
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Is the specific vehicle you drove (correctly) identified on the contract you received at pick-up, and on the receipt you received at return? If so, and assuming that the same vehicle is identified on both documents, then I would think that you'd have a pretty good case to challenge the up-sell charge -- either with Hertz or with your credit-card issuer.
I think that's where Ill have trouble. I booked: Your VehicleCompact 4-5 Door Group C CDAR(C) Chevrolet Aveo or similar

I ended up with a Kia Sportage, which at the time of rental seemed like the same class. There again was no mention of an upsell at the counter. And if there had been, I would have protested as I don't see a difference in a Chevy Aveo and Kie Sportage. I thought that model just landed in the "or similar" category.
Does this sound reasonable, or am i being naive?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that's where Ill have trouble. I booked: Your VehicleCompact 4-5 Door Group C CDAR(C) Chevrolet Aveo or similar

I ended up with a Kia Sportage, which at the time of rental seemed like the same class. There again was no mention of an upsell at the counter. And if there had been, I would have protested as I don't see a difference in a Chevy Aveo and Kie Sportage. I thought that model just landed in the "or similar" category.
Does this sound reasonable, or am i being naive?
I don't think it matters what you reserved, or what they gave you. If they correctly identified the car they gave you (by license plate? car number? make of car?) as the Kia Sportage on the contract and on the return receipt, then presumably you can only be charged the rate that appears on the contract. Even if they gave you a car in a higher category than what you reserved, if you did not request a different car and did not agree -- in writing -- to pay a higher rate, then I don't see how you can be charged more than what appears on your contract.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

I don't think it matters what you reserved, or what they gave you. If they correctly identified the car they gave you (by license plate? car number? make of car?) as the Kia Sportage on the contract and on the return receipt, then presumably you can only be charged the rate that appears on the contract. Even if they gave you a car in a higher category than what you reserved, if you did not request a different car and did not agree -- in writing -- to pay a higher rate, then I don't see how you can be charged more than what appears on your contract.
I would think this correct, right? I have not heard back from Hertz yet.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think this correct, right? I have not heard back from Hertz yet.
Have you provided Hertz with copies of the contract and the return receipt (by fax, email, postal mail)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.