Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Snow chains on rental cars are not forbidden in the terms and conditions of Hertz ?

Snow chains on rental cars are not forbidden in the terms and conditions of Hertz ?

Old Feb 8, 19, 10:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Snow chains on rental cars are not forbidden in the terms and conditions of Hertz ?

I have read many times online that snow chains are prohibited on rental cars. However, I am not able to find it in the terms and conditions of Hertz. I would really appreciate if someone can help clarify this.

Here is an excerpt of Hertz's TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO RENTALS IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA:

USE OF THE CAR IN A MANNER PROHIBITED IN PARAGRAPH 5 OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS WILL, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, VOID LDW AND CAUSE YOU TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO THE CAR RESULTING FROM THAT PROHIBITED USE.

FOR RENTALS COMMENCING IN CALIFORNIA, IF YOU HAVE ACCEPTED LDW, THEN YOUR LDW WILL BE VOID AND YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO THE CAR ONLY IN THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES: (i) DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTS FROM (A) INTENTIONAL, WILFUL, WANTON OR RECKLESS MISCONDUCT OF YOU OR AN AUTHORISED OPERATOR; (B) OPERATION OF THE CAR BY YOU OR AN AUTHORISED OPERATOR WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL IN VIOLATION OF THE LAWS OF THE STATE IN WHICH THE LOSS OR DAMAGE OCCURS (IN CALIFORNIA, THE APPLICABLE LAW IS SECTION 23152 OF THE CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE); (C) YOU OR AN AUTHORISED OPERATOR USING THE CAR TO TOW OR PUSH ANYTHING; OR (D) OPERATION OF THE CAR ON AN UNPAVED ROAD BY YOU OR AN AUTHORISED OPERATOR IF THE DAMAGE OR LOSS IS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE ROAD OR DRIVING CONDITIONS? (ii) DAMAGE OR LOSS OCCURS WHILE THE CAR IS (A) USED FOR COMMERCIAL HIRE; (B) USED IN CONNECTION WITH CONDUCT THAT COULD BE PROPERLY CHARGED AS A FELONY; (C) INVOLVED IN A SPEED TEST OR CONTEST OR IN DRIVER TRAINING ACTIVITY; (D) OPERATED BY A PERSON OTHER THAN YOU OR AN AUTHORISED OPERATOR; OR (E) OPERATED OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES OR CANADA, UNLESS YOU HAVE FIRST OBTAINED SPECIFIC WRITTEN PERMISSION TO DO SO FROM HERTZ, WHICH PERMISSION MAY BE WITHHELD AT HERTZí SOLE DISCRETION? OR (iii) IF YOU OR ANY AUTHORISED OPERATOR HAS (A) PROVIDED FRAUDULENT INFORMATION TO HERTZ OR (B) PROVIDED FALSE INFORMATION AND HERTZ WOULD NOT HAVE RENTED THE CAR IF IT HAD INSTEAD RECEIVED TRUE INFORMATION.

As we can see, nothing about the use of snow chains is mentioned. I would really appreciate if someone can help clarify this.
Penguin001 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 19, 4:17 am
  #2  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ka ʻĀpala Nui
Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Posts: 15,957
Originally Posted by Penguin001 View Post
I have read many times online that snow chains are prohibited on rental cars. However, I am not able to find it in the terms and conditions of Hertz. I would really appreciate if someone can help clarify this.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Assuming you are renting from a location in the United States, if you go to Hertz' website and search for the word "chains" the following result is as follows:

Q. Can I use snow chains on the rental vehicle?
A. No. Hertz neither provides snow chains nor allows chains to be put on the tires of any vehicle in the United States and Canada.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/customersupport/index.jsp?targetPage=faq.jsp&search=chains

If renting outside the US, then go to the appropriate Hertz website for that location and try the same search.
FlyinHawaiian is offline  
Old Feb 9, 19, 9:06 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Assuming you are renting from a location in the United States, if you go to Hertz' website and search for the word "chains" the following result is as follows:

Q. Can I use snow chains on the rental vehicle?
A. No. Hertz neither provides snow chains nor allows chains to be put on the tires of any vehicle in the United States and Canada.

If renting outside the US, then go to the appropriate Hertz website for that location and try the same search.

Thank you very much for your answer! But shouldn't everything be specified in the terms and conditions I received for the rental? This seems confusing.
Penguin001 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 19, 1:21 pm
  #4  
Company Representative - Autoslash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,644
Originally Posted by Penguin001 View Post
Thank you very much for your answer! But shouldn't everything be specified in the terms and conditions I received for the rental? This seems confusing.
That's one view, but another is that the terms and conditions also don't say that you should not put diesel in a gasoline car or drive with the emergency brake on. Just because the T&Cs don't explicitly prohibit something doesn't mean that it's necessarily allowed. We wrote a blog post discussing snow chains and other related topics which you can read here.
AutoSlash is offline  
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:04 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
That's one view, but another is that the terms and conditions also don't say that you should not put diesel in a gasoline car or drive with the emergency brake on. Just because the T&Cs don't explicitly prohibit something doesn't mean that it's necessarily allowed. We wrote a blog post discussing snow chains and other related topics which you can read here.
I see, thank you for the informative blog post!
Penguin001 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread