FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   under what condition can i change my car? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1955296-under-what-condition-can-i-change-my-car.html)

doubter13 Feb 8, 2019 2:36 pm

under what condition can i change my car?

Hi, i used the search but i could not find a thread about this...
i am planning a 3 week road trip from Detroit Airport towards Texas and i am Hertz 5 Star.
i had a great experience last month with the ultimate choice at Nashville Airport and i was wondering if i can change my car if i don't find a nice one when i arrive.
can i check back a day later and see if something better is available or do i have to "find" a problem with the car?
i had to change a car before because it had a chipped windscreen and hertz did even change it in scracmento after i rented in san Francisco, but can i also just change i because they didn't have something nice?
i read in the DTW thread that sometimes there isn't much int eh 5 star/gold choice section and i don't want to drive around for 3 weeks with a car i hate...

jim32190 Feb 8, 2019 10:37 pm

Yes I’ve done this before and said “I don’t like the way this one drives” or “something is weird about the way it drives, different than any other of the same model I’ve had”. No need to make a fault. Preference switches are free. Just be aware of the fact there may not be any better cars available when you return the first one 😂

m907 Feb 9, 2019 4:57 am

You can always ask but if the location is tight on inventory they're likely to say no.

SoroSuub1 Feb 9, 2019 7:12 am

Book a pay at counter reservation at National and others as well, and see what they have available when you arrive.

aSiAnRiCk Feb 16, 2019 9:18 am

I just tell them I don't like the car and that the selection was scarce at the time. Never an issue getting a replacement.

klanfa Feb 16, 2019 9:40 am

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk (Post 30785925)
I just tell them I don't like the car and that the selection was scarce at the time. Never an issue getting a replacement.

Did they then assign you a specific model or let you choose from a few options/UC?

Rental_Guy Feb 16, 2019 9:33 pm

At most locations you can switch vehicles just because you didn't like how it started. It really just depends on fleet availability.

aSiAnRiCk Feb 18, 2019 10:15 am

Originally Posted by klanfa (Post 30785992)
Did they then assign you a specific model or let you choose from a few options/UC?

In most cases, I get better choices.

For example, I picked up an Audi A4 from National SNA and exchanged it for a Range Rover Sport in LAX.