Wiki Posts
Search

Does Hertz honor "mistake" quotes?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Does Hertz honor "mistake" quotes?

I have recently been monitoring prices (like Autoslash does for you automatically) for a multi-week rental (three weeks and a few days) next month. Prices were a rather on the high side (I watched $1400 go down to $1300 over a few weeks). Then suddenly this morning I saw $400, and immediately grabbed it. Later I was scratching my head - too good to be true? Went to the web site again, and it said "no cars available". Hmm... Now it's showing a rate that is double what I got quoted, but still way down from what I'd reserved not that many days ago. Well, update, I decided to at least get a screen grab of the $800 quote so I could argue that I deserved that in case I went to check out and they claimed $400 was a "mistake", but when I did, the price had changed yet again, now to $1100!

So the question.... I got a "price is guaranteed" quote with email confirmation for a damned good price. Anyone have any experience with whether Hertz will honor it when I show up at the lot?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Hertz is notorious for their price changes based on demand ect. Their really isnt a reason why they would not honor this price if you present them with the confirmation email.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

That would be good for me So far today I've seen:
$400
cars unavailable
$1100
$810
$940

At least I got a screen grab of the 940 in case I need to argue... Something is pretty screwed up over in Hertz IT land!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
You have an email confirmation with the $400 price and the original Reservation number as is online? That should be fine to take to the rental location and get the price adjusted.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:06 pm

Hertz in my experience makes a lot of billing errors. Watch your contract and receipt very closely. If there are any discrepancies, the magic words are "This rate is guaranteed." Not "Why so high?" High is a relative term. Also, there are times where you might agree to a "high" rate when you booked.
MojaveFlyer and Joonydell like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Hertz in my experience makes a lot of billing errors. Watch your contract and receipt very closely. If there are any discrepancies, the magic words are "This rate is guaranteed." Not "Why so high?" High is a relative term. Also, there are times where you might agree to a "high" rate when you booked.
I've been renting from Hertz about 10-20x per year for over a decade...have NEVER seen them make a billing error. Ever. Just lucky, I guess.

cheers!
Joonydell likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Hmmmm...Likewise, I have been renting with them a lot, and I have yet to experience billing errors. I guess, I too, am lucky, or others have been "unlucky."
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

At least in cases where I have made multiple reservations and then killed some to track cheaper rates, I've been given a contract for one of the higher rate ones. This has happened several times at franchise locations. Now I've learned (thank you Autoslash how to keep the same reservation and get the new rate (modify it to a different size car, then mod it again back to the desired size) I try to end up with few actual reservations. Anyway, at least out of habit, I always check the rate.
Joonydell and AutoSlash like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: too many
reminds me of the French Avis bug, where all Prestige cars were massively discounted for rentals of 5 days or more...missed out on the 6-series convertible at €166 for 5 days, ended up with 3 bookings: Audi A7, Peugeot RCZ, Posche 911 convertible, for a total of less than 900€ for 5 days.
In the end, when I arrived at the counter, all bookings were valid but cars had not been readied yet...I ended up cancelling 2 of them and hopping on a brand new S350 for my wedding! I put 1250km on it for a grand total of €300 for 5 rental days
Old May 16, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

So to return to my original rental, I got the rate quoted no questions asked - even though it was only in the $400 range for 3 1/2 weeks.

Today's conundrum is a reservation for August which is low but says "subject to change". I made a backup res, but anyone have experience with that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.