FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   PC with U STAR (Convertible) reservation - chances of upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1954799-pc-u-star-convertible-reservation-chances-upgrade.html)

Alclayno Feb 5, 2019 3:26 pm

PC with U STAR (Convertible) reservation - chances of upgrade?

Renting at MIA next month and have a reservation for a standard convertible, but would love to either end up in a V8 convertible or Corvette (hardtop or convertible).

What are the chances, as a PC member, of such an upgrade?

Ideally, my first choice would be an upgrade to the Vette, but I'd also be open to a convertible Camaro SS or convertible Mustang GT.

Not the biggest fan of Mustangs, personally (too conservative for my taste), but I like the 2018 and 2019's more than previous generations.

Any likely chance of an upgrade to U4 RTAR (Standard Elite Convertible - Adrenaline Collection)? Or, if I have to settle for a hardtop, is there any hope of getting something from V4 RSAR (American Muscle - Adrenaline Collection)?

Appreciate any help or insight you all are able to provide. Thanks!

AutoSlash Feb 5, 2019 4:18 pm

Your chances are very slim honestly. If you want one of those vehicles, it’s best to reserve one ahead of time. What we typically suggest is to make an intermediate car reservation and then make another one for the higher-end vehicle. On the off-chance that you can find (or upgrade to at $25/day) what you want, then you can cancel the higher-priced res. If not, you can fall back to the specialty car res.

Just be careful at the exit booth to make sure they’ve got the right reservation pulled up. Even better, cancel the one you won’t be using before heading to the exit booth. Just note that you can’t cancel once the pickup time has passed so best to set both reservations to a pickup 1-2 hours beyond when you expect to arrive (picking up a bit early is never a problem at a big airport).

Alclayno Feb 5, 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 30743638)
Your chances are very slim honestly. If you want one of those vehicles, it’s best to reserve one ahead of time. What we typically suggest is to make an intermediate car reservation and then make another one for the higher-end vehicle. On the off-chance that you can find (or upgrade to at $25/day) what you want, then you can cancel the higher-priced res. If not, you can fall back to the specialty car res.

Just be careful at the exit booth to make sure they’ve got the right reservation pulled up. Even better, cancel the one you won’t be using before heading to the exit booth. Just note that you can’t cancel once the pickup time has passed so best to set both reservations to a pickup 1-2 hours beyond when you expect to arrive (picking up a bit early is never a problem at a big airport).

Only reserved the standard convertible because I'm using points to reserve a car for basically a week, and when you try to book either class from the Adrenaline Collection, you get hit with "There are no rewards currently available for your date/time/location."

Would like a convertible regardless since it's Miami (hence the booking)... but is it really that difficult to upgrade when the only difference between the upgrade and your reservation is the engine (V6/V8 Camaro/Mustang)?

Joonydell Feb 5, 2019 7:29 pm

IME, by making 2 reservations, you can run into a problem at the gate, as they will pull up one of your reservations at random. Even if you cancel, they are still in the system for up to 24 hours. i learnt this the hard way at the gate, and was forced to do the "backup of shame". i was eventually able to hash it out at the counter, but it was a headache which really want necessary.

glostix Feb 5, 2019 8:55 pm

You might be able to negotiate a v8 hardtop in lieu of your reserved Mustang convertible, seeing as, to their overall customer base, an Ecoboost convertible may be "more desirable".

USTAR "Mustang Convertible or similar" = Mustang Convertible (turbo 4cyl), Camaro 1LT Convertible (turbo 4cyl, no more v6's), Mercedes C300 Convertible (turbo 4cyl), rare Buick Cascada Convertible.
RTAR "Camaro SS convertible or similar" = Mustang GT convertible. No more Camaro SS's... hardtop or convertibles. Last were MY2017.

Who knows though, maybe they'll get in some 2019 Camaros by the time your reservation comes around.

Alclayno Feb 6, 2019 4:05 am

Originally Posted by glostix (Post 30744389)
You might be able to negotiate a v8 hardtop in lieu of your reserved Mustang convertible, seeing as, to their overall customer base, an Ecoboost convertible may be "more desirable".

USTAR "Mustang Convertible or similar" = Mustang Convertible (turbo 4cyl), Camaro 1LT Convertible (turbo 4cyl, no more v6's), Mercedes C300 Convertible (turbo 4cyl), rare Buick Cascada Convertible.
RTAR "Camaro SS convertible or similar" = Mustang GT convertible. No more Camaro SS's... hardtop or convertibles. Last were MY2017.

Who knows though, maybe they'll get in some 2019 Camaros by the time your reservation comes around.

That'd be nice... I could cope with a Mustang (I guess), but don't think I'd want to go the C300 or Buick route.

Also, additional question - apart from a direct Adrenaline Collection reservation, is there any likelihood of there being a 'Vette in the Premium upgrade section?

AutoSlash Feb 6, 2019 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Alclayno (Post 30745186)
Also, additional question - apart from a direct Adrenaline Collection reservation, is there any likelihood of there being a 'Vette in the Premium upgrade section?

Never seen one and never heard of one ever being in the PC section, or even the Premium Upgrade section (which have a $25/day surcharge for PCs).

Lyaec350 Feb 8, 2019 10:51 am

For what it's worth, I've gotten Mustang GT (U4) upgrades on a Standard convertible (U) two times in the last 6 months, for weeklong reservations @ OGG. They had a bunch of new Camaro SS cars on the lot, which I assume I could have swapped to if I wanted since they're same class, but I actually prefer the Mustang GT (smaller, easier to park, just as fast and way more usable trunk space).

Your chance of getting a corvette is approximately 0.0%, as an upgrade. You can probably pay to upgrade, but it's likely to be steep, on the order of ~$100+/day.

glostix Feb 8, 2019 12:06 pm

Good to hear that Hertz is getting Camaro SS's again

Alclayno Feb 9, 2019 2:14 am

Also good to hear that U4 upgrades are possible with a U reservation.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new Camaro SS front end, but I definitely prefer it's bolder styling to the more subdued styling of the Mustang. That being said - I'd be more than fine with either car in V8 form.

One more question - since the Corvette Stingray (not the Z06, which is obviously it's own category altogether) is also part of the Adrenaline Collection, why is it possible to get an upgrade to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, but seemingly almost impossible to get an upgrade to a Corvette?

Is it just a matter of high demand and low inventory?

Flying Yazata Feb 9, 2019 3:26 am

That's actually what I'm going to do on my next LAX reservation.

I have one ICAR booking for "just in case" (i.e. the convertables offered are tatty for some reason). Then I have one JTAR reservation and I'm pondering on having a STAR or RTAR reservation as a secondary option. Just have a stroll first and see what's available for me, then log onto my laptop, cancel what I don't want and then take the car I actually choose, drive to the gate and show them the printed reservation for that one. That means they see the right rate and which reservation to activate, if there's any lag in those cancellations.

Not sure if the JTAR category is actually good or if RTAR/STAR would offer more bang for the buck? I'm going to drive for 5 days with the car, so not really happy to drive with something subpar.

m907 Feb 9, 2019 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Alclayno (Post 30756693)
Also good to hear that U4 upgrades are possible with a U reservation.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new Camaro SS front end, but I definitely prefer it's bolder styling to the more subdued styling of the Mustang. That being said - I'd be more than fine with either car in V8 form.

One more question - since the Corvette Stingray (not the Z06, which is obviously it's own category altogether) is also part of the Adrenaline Collection, why is it possible to get an upgrade to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, but seemingly almost impossible to get an upgrade to a Corvette?

Is it just a matter of high demand and low inventory?

The Corvette is 2-3x more expensive and GM probably limits the number they sell to rental fleets.

glostix Feb 9, 2019 3:28 pm

I haven't seen any Corvette Stingrays at SFO, and I think they only do the Corvette Z06 100th Anniversary Special now.

Also I confirmed with Hertz that they don't carry Camaro SS convertibles at SFO (and prly not at other west coast airports i.e. LAX either), and don't plan to do so. I guess Hawaii gets them because the vacationer market demands them? Oh well