Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Chicago Cragin / Oak Park - anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by dukefleed
If I get a free week it will only be for a vehicle up to F class, upper classes means too many points and would not be convenient to buy (like 1500 points more!).
But, a fullsize could reach for the four of us ... don't know what you get for fullsize now, but I think something like a Chevy Malibu?
You can book a premium for the same number of points as a fullsize (or intermediate or compact), 2750/week.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...points-program
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by arollins
AUTOSLASH can monitor price for the cars and will notify you if they have found something cheaper. No credit card or membership involved. Just submit the info of the current reservation you have and it checks for you.
Autoslash does US rates, which do not include insurance.

The OP has stated they are from Europe, and thus will be better booking non-US rates that include CDW/LIS/etc.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
You can book a premium for the same number of points as a fullsize (or intermediate or compact), 2750/week.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...points-program
Well, thanks, I didn't know it! I thought that you could reach a fullsize with 2750 pts. Is a premium a bigger car, or is it just a matter of luxury? Never rented a premium ...
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:17 am

Well, thanks, I didn't know it! I thought that you could reach a fullsize with 2750 pts. Is a premium a bigger car, or is it just a matter of luxury? Never rented a premium ...
Generally, it's bigger (and usually nicer). Typically an Impala (which is a bigger, slightly nicer Malibu), and they often provide a Chrysler 300 (which is technically a Luxury (I) class).
dukefleed likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:45 am

I've also seen quite a few Buick Regals on premium reservations. US Travel Association will be most likely be selling Hertz points at favorable rates (under $300 for 2 weeks worth of points), but I'm not sure if you'd be able to take advantage of that since you're European based. FWIW those sales normally happen in April.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klanfa
I've also seen quite a few Buick Regals on premium reservations. US Travel Association will be most likely be selling Hertz points at favorable rates (under $300 for 2 weeks worth of points), but I'm not sure if you'd be able to take advantage of that since you're European based. FWIW those sales normally happen in April.
Thank you. I can try to buy points just the same way American residents do, they told me it is possible.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Thank you. I can try to buy points just the same way American residents do, they told me it is possible.
You can buy them straight from the site or just call CS.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joonydell
You can buy them straight from the site or just call CS.
Done! I called the Customer Service and it was sooo easy! Bought the points I needed and they were on my account in real-time. Other way was to fax the purchase request, too complicate from overseas (and unsecure).
Already booked a fullsize car from ORD. I tried with the Premium (G) but the cost was nearly double!!! Hope I'll find a good choice ...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Done! I called the Customer Service and it was sooo easy! Bought the points I needed and they were on my account in real-time. Other way was to fax the purchase request, too complicate from overseas (and unsecure).
Already booked a fullsize car from ORD. I tried with the Premium (G) but the cost was nearly double!!! Hope I'll find a good choice ...
fullsize and premium should both be 2750 for a week. How much are you seeing for premium?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:03 pm

fullsize and premium should both be 2750 for a week. How much are you seeing for premium?
His reservation is for a lot more than a week (16 days, I think), so I presume he's talking about the cash cost of the additional days. There's no difference in points cost if you're paying entirely with points, but if your reservation is part points part cash, there certainly can be a difference between fullsize and premium.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

cestmoi123 has it right: the additional cash was a whopping amount. Without using points, a fullsize went for around $730 and a premium around $1300, go figure!
Interestingly enough, when renting from an HLE like Oak Park, the difference between fullsize and premium was like $50 ...
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:20 pm

cestmoi123 always has it right... but why so expensive?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interestingly enough, when renting from an HLE like Oak Park, the difference between fullsize and premium was like $50 ...
That's so that when you get there and they tell you that they don't have a Premium, but do have a nice no-options Kia with 41,000 miles on it to offer you, they only need to refund you $50...

(Actually, from talking to my local HLE staff, one of the things they like about Ultimate Choice is that they get a lot more Premium cars from PC's doing one-ways from the airport, so they generally have more of them than they used to before Ultimate Choice)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.