Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "(V4) RSAR Class American Muscle Car and (D2) SSAR Class" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "(V4) RSAR Class American Muscle Car and (D2) SSAR Class" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:30 am
Original Poster

^Be careful I think you need to cancel a points reservation >24hr in advance in order to get the points refunded.

But it is true, they should not try to give you a V6 Challenger if they don't have the V8 Muscle Car you reserved--in that case they should give a Corvette! They should be giving equal or better, not worse.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:50 am

@glostix Thank you, I did not know that reserations on points needed a longer advance cancelation to be refunded. I will keep that in mind ^
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:47 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Please let's keep the discussion about Hertz and its cars.
I also merged a few muscle car experience threads

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod

Last edited by jason8612; Feb 13, 2019 at 2:58 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Maurizio92
What cars have you managed to see? I am after a Camaro SS either convertible or hardtop, I have an upcoming booking at LAX in two weeks, I booked a Standard Elite Convertible Group U4 RTAR (Chevy Camaro SS Convertible or similar) but as everyone is saying it looks like they do not have Camaro SS's anymore, I'm so confused. Also thinking to change my booking and get the V4 RSAR group if I know I could get a Camaro SS in there. I'm sorry for my english, Thank you.
They ended up assingning me an old Challanger with a HEMI (Carfirmation said R/T, but I didnt see that on the car) with 22k miles on it and a lovely smell of weed. Refused to take it and they said "SOL, only V4 car we have." So I changed to a Mustang GT Convertible (I think these are U4), also 20k miles on it but in much better condition. No Camaro SS available at pickup or return, they just seem to have the standart Camaros. I'd advice against booking / changing to V4.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:36 am

Currently have a V4 RSAR reservation this weekend at RDU from sat to Monday for 112, but also booked a backup of a C for 55. Is the general consensus that this class is pretty much exclusively Challenger R/Ts now? Would love to get either the mustang gt or Camaro SS, but if they’re not available, cancel and just use the cheaper reservation.

What it happens if I show up with 2 of the exact non- prepaid reservstions?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Sefeing
Currently have a V4 RSAR reservation this weekend at RDU from sat to Monday for 112, but also booked a backup of a C for 55. Is the general consensus that this class is pretty much exclusively Challenger R/Ts now? Would love to get either the mustang gt or Camaro SS, but if they’re not available, cancel and just use the cheaper reservation.

What it happens if I show up with 2 of the exact non- prepaid reservstions?
Challenger R/T would be my bet since Hertz is very FCA-heavy.

If you have two reservations you can ask a desk agent or gate agent to cancel the one you don't use, but be very sure he/she cancels the correct one.

It's not unheard-of to see a Challenger R/T in Ultimate Choice so I'd check there first to see if you can get one with the $55 reservation.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

From perusing Hertz Car Sales listings like an OCD freak, it seems Hertz carries a ~10:1 ratio of Challenger RT's to Mustang GT's (including both hardtop & convertible). Very rare Camaro SS's and only at select locations (Hawaii, San Diego, LAX, dunno bout the East Coast).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by glostix
From perusing Hertz Car Sales listings like an OCD freak, it seems Hertz carries a ~10:1 ratio of Challenger RT's to Mustang GT's (including both hardtop & convertible). Very rare Camaro SS's and only at select locations (Hawaii, San Diego, LAX, dunno bout the East Coast).
So more than likely, they're only running Challenger R/T's then - surprising since they list the Mustang & Camaro first in the category :/
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Had a 2019 Challenger R/T out of SNA for a day this week. Was a blast to drive - managed to get up to 45mph on the 405! 22k miles on it, however - so it has spent some time with Hertz. Was the only one in the garage when I was pulling out.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
Got a nice 2019 Mustang GT out of LAS for a 10 day rental with just 5500 miles, feels like a brand new car. After 600 miles HW, city and some nice curvy mountain routes display shows 29.2 MPG.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I have a V4/RSAR booking at PHX this Thursday - will update with what I actually get but hoping for a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. Nothing against the Challenger RT - in fact it will probably be the better car for my trip to TUS - but I would love to have something athletic for a little run up to Mt Lemmon. I have 5* status (from Amex Plat) which will let me choose something from Ultimate Choice if something interesting pops up, maybe? Has anyone gotten a look at the PHX location recently?

Also, what do you think is the chance that a mythical Corvette appears? That is the one car that I have not gotten to drive before and would really love to have it. Don't care about luggage capacity or passenger comfort on this trip, since it's just me on a flying trip to catch the Canucks/Coyotes game and then Pima Air and Space Museum.

The reservation was "Pay Now" for $197USD for 4 days, which was actually fairly cheap compared to the Pay Later options for a full size.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:31 pm

Flying into MIA Tuesday of next week (3/12) and have two reservations booked with points through 3/18 - one for V4/RSAR at $396 and one for U/STAR (convertible) at $88.

Obviously have to cancel one ahead of time in order not to lose my points - and clearly the U/STAR reservation makes more monetary sense - but the goal is to try to end up in a convertible with a V8 instead of a V6.

So I have two questions.

I'm PC, so I'll also be able to choose from the PC/Gold/5* aisles (hoping for the unlikely case that one will have a convertible V8 Mustang/Camaro or Corvette), but as is, which reservation would give me a better chance of being assigned a V8 convertible from the start?

And it's Miami, so while a convertible is probably the most ideal choice - I did rent a red V6 Camaro convertible last year from another company (and loved it) - part of me would rather have a V8 this year in either convertible or hardtop form (although not a Challenger R/T).

The price difference between the two reservations is pretty hefty ($308), and I'm really not sure which I'd choose between a V6 convertible and a V8 hardtop, but for any of you who have driven a V8 muscle car - is it worth the extra $308 over a V6, or should I just go with the U/STAR reservation and hope for the best?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roastpuff
I have a V4/RSAR booking at PHX this Thursday - will update with what I actually get but hoping for a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. Nothing against the Challenger RT - in fact it will probably be the better car for my trip to TUS - but I would love to have something athletic for a little run up to Mt Lemmon.
What'd you get?

Originally Posted by Alclayno
Flying into MIA Tuesday of next week (3/12) and have two reservations booked with points through 3/18 - one for V4/RSAR at $396 and one for U/STAR (convertible) at $88.
There are no V6 convertibles (i.e. Camaro v6 +RS trim), only turbo 4-cyls. V4 class gets you a v8, most likely Chally RT, unlikely convertible. USTAR gets you Mustang Ecoboost or C300 Convertible, unlikely v8. There is a V8 Convertible class (RSTAR or RTAR?) that is called "Camaro SS convertible or similar" but it's most likely a Mustang GT convertible. Miami though has all the cool cars, so Camaro SS vert may actually be possible. Whether or not $308 for the v8 sound is worth it is different for every person. The Mustang Ecoboost is faster or same 0-60 vs the Chally RT. Not that you'll be able to legally use the speed anyway with these cars, so yes the sound is a big part of the pleasurable experience but $300 is steep just for that alone, esp if that means you almost certainly won't get a vert.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:01 am

There are no V6 convertibles (i.e. Camaro v6 +RS trim), only turbo 4-cyls. V4 class gets you a v8, most likely Chally RT, unlikely convertible. USTAR gets you Mustang Ecoboost or C300 Convertible, unlikely v8. There is a V8 Convertible class (RSTAR or RTAR?) that is called "Camaro SS convertible or similar" but it's most likely a Mustang GT convertible. Miami though has all the cool cars, so Camaro SS vert may actually be possible. Whether or not $308 for the v8 sound is worth it is different for every person. The Mustang Ecoboost is faster or same 0-60 vs the Chally RT. Not that you'll be able to legally use the speed anyway with these cars, so yes the sound is a big part of the pleasurable experience but $300 is steep just for that alone, esp if that means you almost certainly won't get a vert.
Yeah, that "Camaro SS convertible or similar" reservation wouldn't allow me to book with points (except for when it was super overpriced and the most I could do was get a $30 discount on a > $600 reservation), so the only option that made sense was to just book the standard convertible since I could get a weekly rate for free plus the $88 in taxes.

Probably going to keep the convertible reservation and hope for the best. Just gotta hope that there's something V8-oriented in one of the aforementioned sections or even in the premium upgrade or ultimate series sections. Don't have a problem paying extra on top of the daily rate when the daily rate is free.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
What'd you get?
Ended up with the Challenger R/T. 2019 with 4500mi on the clock.
Joonydell and WTPThom like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.