FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Free rental day on points + paid days (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1952774-free-rental-day-points-paid-days.html)

AbyssalLoris Jan 24, 2019 12:51 pm

Free rental day on points + paid days

A simple question as I have no experience redeeming Hertz points. If I have enough for a free day or two, can I redeem them towards a longer rental with the remaining days being paid? Or do they force you to only redeem towards a stand-alone rental and have a separate paid rental for the other days? TIA.

AutoSlash Jan 24, 2019 1:24 pm

Yes, you can redeem points for only a portion of your rental. It will show you options on the checkout page when logged into your Gold Plus Rewards account at Hertz.com.

MojaveFlyer Feb 1, 2019 8:56 pm

I just tried to make a rental, logged in with my Gold account number. I don't see an option to pay part of the rental with points. What am I missing? I went in through the normal "reserve a car" menu, put in the info, "submit" a few times, never see any mention of points.

jim32190 Feb 2, 2019 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer (Post 30729965)
I just tried to make a rental, logged in with my Gold account number. I don't see an option to pay part of the rental with points. What am I missing? I went in through the normal "reserve a car" menu, put in the info, "submit" a few times, never see any mention of points.

Choose the option on the main page to “Use my Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points”

troyintn Feb 2, 2019 9:27 am

I just tried to use points and then called seems the website is having a lot of issues and even calling the PC desk they had issues. Unsure what is going on, but it is becoming harder and harder to use points. Not counting the current IT/website issues today.

MojaveFlyer Feb 2, 2019 7:17 pm

I have tried in several browsers. I go to my account, use my points. Basically I see a rate chart there. If I click on stuff I jump to part of the page but I see no way to actually place a rental. I would like to use points for part of a rental but I see no way to use points on any rental in any form at all. All I get is charts telling me how many points I need for various types of rentals. Not very encouraging.

AutoSlash Feb 3, 2019 8:31 am

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer (Post 30732969)
I have tried in several browsers. I go to my account, use my points. Basically I see a rate chart there. If I click on stuff I jump to part of the page but I see no way to actually place a rental. I would like to use points for part of a rental but I see no way to use points on any rental in any form at all. All I get is charts telling me how many points I need for various types of rentals. Not very encouraging.

You need to start a standard reservation from the Hertz homepage when logged into your account. There is a checkbox there that says, "Use my Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points". Check that box and proceed to the final checkout page. At that point, there will either be a dropdown menu of awards to choose from or a message explaining why awards are not available for that particular rental.

MojaveFlyer Feb 4, 2019 7:48 pm

Thank you thank you Autoslash! At last, you helped me figure it out. Wow. Really helps make the points valuable.

SO do the points get deducted immediately, or do they only get deducted when the rental starts? I ask because paying partly with points I don't seem to be able to use the PC # discount (CDP does work) and it may end up being cheaper without using the points. And of course the rates keep changing...

AutoSlash Feb 4, 2019 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer (Post 30740137)
Thank you thank you Autoslash! At last, you helped me figure it out. Wow. Really helps make the points valuable.

SO do the points get deducted immediately, or do they only get deducted when the rental starts? I ask because paying partly with points I don't seem to be able to use the PC # discount (CDP does work) and it may end up being cheaper without using the points. And of course the rates keep changing...

The points get deducted immediately. You can cancel an award reservation up to 24 hours before pickup with no penalty and have the points redeposited into your account.

You can't use a PC code with a points reservation since the award day(s) require a special PC code to be applied and you can only have one PC code per rental.

What we suggest is to book the best discounted rate you can find and then track it with us for price drops. Then you can book an award reservation as well and decide 24-48 hours prior to pickup what ends up being the the better deal and keep that.

ConciergeBrandon Feb 10, 2019 8:36 pm

I folowed your directions, tried a few times, but all came up was something like, 500 points for $20 off. What did I do wrong?

jim32190 Feb 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon (Post 30762969)
I folowed your directions, tried a few times, but all came up was something like, 500 points for $20 off. What did I do wrong?

You did nothing wrong, the online system is broken sometimes. Call the reservations desk and have the reservation made over the phone.

m907 Feb 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 30740149)
The points get deducted immediately. You can cancel an award reservation up to 24 hours before pickup with no penalty and have the points redeposited into your account.

What is the penalty for canceling less than 24 hours in advance?

cestmoi123 Feb 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by m907 (Post 30765860)
What is the penalty for canceling less than 24 hours in advance?

You lose the points.