FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Renting at MAN UK. What to expect? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1952266-renting-man-uk-what-expect.html)

joejs90 Jan 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Renting at MAN UK. What to expect?

I'm a PC member and renting from Manchester and dropping off at LHR for around two weeks. We would like a 4x4 as we have a child and my dad lives a bit off track.

I booked a Midsize SUV IFAR and wanted to know what the options would be like for an upgrade and what kind of cars we might be able to land.

One thing to note is the confirmation says "Standard Counter" at the moment for the Service type.is this relevant?

Thanks in advance.

rcspeirs Jan 22, 2019 12:45 am

The hertz uk site doesn't use the four letter codes, so it's hard to know where IFAR sits in the scheme of things.
https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/veh...ple%20Carrier#
That link shows the UK version of the vehicle guide.
Manchester has a rental village (all operators) so you need to look for the shuttle bus from terminal to the village.
If it's your first time renting in the UK, usual reminder that damage control procedures (all operators) in Europe are far stricter than the average north American customer is used to.

Dave Noble Jan 22, 2019 12:47 am

if it says Standard Counter, then you have not got gold service at the airport. Is your membership set up for UK?

If you book an I class, then you can probably expect to get an I class - I would not be expecting upgrades out of sync with the published upgrades in UK

If you want a higher category vehicle, I would suggest just booking a higher category vehicle

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 30684699)
[left]The hertz uk site doesn't use the four letter codes, so it's hard to know where IFAR sits in the scheme of things.

When making a booking the hertz site shows the codes, but IFAR seems to be missing when I try. I can see the manual version which is
Midsize, SUV, Manual, Air (Group K) IFMR

Redwood839 Jan 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Mokka possibly?

joejs90 Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm

its listed as "(V)Nissan Qashqai or Similar" on my booking. Which im perfectly fine with but id love an upgrade and want to know what would be possible.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30684704)
if it says Standard Counter, then you have not got gold service at the airport. Is your membership set up for UK?

How would i set up my account for the UK? I'm from the UK but live in Australia where i acquired PC.

Originally Posted by Redwood839 (Post 30686895)
Mokka possibly?

Surely thats a downgrade from a "Qashqai or Similar"

Bjam99 Jan 22, 2019 9:39 pm

I would place good money on you getting a Vauxhall Grandland X. You might be able to upgrade to something German.

joejs90 Jan 22, 2019 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bjam99 (Post 30688869)
I would place good money on you getting a Vauxhall Grandland X. You might be able to upgrade to something German.

Thank you, i dont see it listed on the Hertz site. My finger isnt on the pulse with cars in the UK but it looks decent. Keeping my fingers crossed for a decent upgrade, something European would be great, we are taking our little one and would prefer any SUV.

rcspeirs Jan 23, 2019 12:58 am

The cars listed on the UK hertz vehicle guide are very much a guide. There is a huge variety on the fleet - no way of predicting exactly which car you'll get unless you've picked from 'collection series'.
Concerning your account. In the preferences section, you need to make sure you've completed that for all international markets, so that the system knows which insurance options to set before you can get gold service.
The guaranteed update is only guaranteed on 'standard' car groups. If you're hoping for upgrade to something like a range rover... you're not likely to get that.

Dave Noble Jan 23, 2019 2:43 am

Originally Posted by joejs90 (Post 30688700)
its listed as "(V)Nissan Qashqai or Similar" on my booking. Which im perfectly fine with but id love an upgrade and want to know what would be possible.

Upgrades for President's Circle members only covers normal cars with a max of , iirc for UK, a full size car

You may be lucky and get an upgrade, but don't rely on it ; If you want a higher group, I would really suggest reserving it up front

If you want to guarantee getting an upgrade, book a standard car and , assuming that your reservation doesn't state Standard Counter, you will be entitled to an upgrade

trueblu Jan 23, 2019 10:43 pm

Whilst I agree that "guaranteeing an upgrade" isn't possible, staff tend to be accommodating. Most of my hertz rentals are at LHR. I'm usually not fussy about my car, and take whatever I'm given (I'm 5* via Amex). However, if on a family trip, with a huge amount of stuff, then sometimes e.g. our luggage + stroller doesn't all fit in the boot of the assigned car. Everytime I've gone to the gold desk to ask if I could get a car with a bigger boot, they have been accommodating. Sometimes, that means a Skoda octavia, which I'm perfectly OK with!

I should say that if the OP hasn't been back to Blighty for a while, bigger most definitely isn't better...parking can be a real pain in some spots with a bigger car.

tb

joejs90 Feb 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu (Post 30693374)
Whilst I agree that "guaranteeing an upgrade" isn't possible, staff tend to be accommodating. Most of my hertz rentals are at LHR. I'm usually not fussy about my car, and take whatever I'm given (I'm 5* via Amex). However, if on a family trip, with a huge amount of stuff, then sometimes e.g. our luggage + stroller doesn't all fit in the boot of the assigned car. Everytime I've gone to the gold desk to ask if I could get a car with a bigger boot, they have been accommodating. Sometimes, that means a Skoda octavia, which I'm perfectly OK with!

I should say that if the OP hasn't been back to Blighty for a while, bigger most definitely isn't better...parking can be a real pain in some spots with a bigger car.

tb

Thanks for the update all. I went back a couple of years ago and didnt have many problems parking. Just because its the first time taking the little one over so i would like room for all the stuff as we ar doing quite a bit of driving. an XC60 would be perfect as its what we have here in Aus.

trueblu Feb 16, 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by joejs90 (Post 30771903)
Thanks for the update all. I went back a couple of years ago and didnt have many problems parking. Just because its the first time taking the little one over so i would like room for all the stuff as we ar doing quite a bit of driving. an XC60 would be perfect as its what we have here in Aus.

Report back with how it goes! [I'm guessing from your post, that you haven't arrived yet].

tb