Hertz DNR list?

Old Jan 19, 19, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Hertz DNR list?

I always rent with National. This was my first Hertz rental in five years -I am presidents circle or something through Delta Diamond.

I am probably worried for nothing but rented an SUV from a neighborhood location today (due to snow storm) - drove a few blocks parked it for a few hours. Later, I went to put my bag in the trunk and noticed the tire jack was out (wish I had noticed when I picked it up) - after hitting 40 mph I could immediately tell the alignment was (wayyyyy) off, and there was a transmission issue. Roadside told me to head to airport for swap.

Immediately headed for the airport to do a swap as neighborhood location was closed. Gave the Hertz guy a hard time as he wanted me to fill out an incident report while freezing in the cold, and after politely asking him if I could go into the very very large booth. He then told me he could not give me an SUV, and so I gave him a much harder time - no insults or anything, but kept asking him for his business card (which he claimed not to have) - and questioning whether he was really the manager, and asking for the manager's business card and the manager's name. I told him I would write a complaint to Hertz about him and r I filled out the incident report by simply writing "transmission issue" and signing my name. Probably should have handled it all a bit better, but very frustrated as Hertz app was letting me book SUVs for that location, so why would he claim he didn't have any vehicles to swap.

This ended 20 minutes later, when I told him Hertz sucked and booked a reservation on the National app in front of him.

Any chance I am on the DNR list? Only reason I am worried is that the guy spent the last ten minutes of the conversation typing... which I only noticed later.

Again, I know I should have handled it differently, should I be worried? I'm on a big corporate contract too if it makes a difference.
Old Jan 20, 19, 1:26 am

No, it's not likely you'd be put on a DNR list for that. As far as I know the DNR list is for stuff like failing to pay for damages, keeping a car past the return date without extending, allowing unauthorized drivers to drive, etc.

But berating an employee never helps the situation. Sounds like you spent more time scolding the guy than it would've taken to fill out the report.
Often1, mediator and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
No, it's not likely you'd be put on a DNR list for that. As far as I know the DNR list is for stuff like failing to pay for damages, keeping a car past the return date without extending, allowing unauthorized drivers to drive, etc.

But berating an employee never helps the situation. Sounds like you spent more time scolding the guy than it would've taken to fill out the report.
Hertz employees should treat their most loyal customers with better attitudes and respect. A lot of their employees are there because they just need a job. Few actually care about customer service. I would fill out the review and score them 0. Ridiculous.
Old Jan 20, 19, 9:39 am

I'm surprised the agent didn't try to charge you extra for essentially one-waying the broken down SUV to the airport when you didn't take another car back in return.
Old Jan 20, 19, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
The worst part is that I am paying $130 for three days with National vs. $35 for two days with hertz!

but so I take it I won’t be banned? The $35 is such a deal that I will probably become a Hertz regular if they can give me mechanically sound cars!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Look for the guy to go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and find a scratch which is somewhere you didn't photograph. Or maybe what OP said was sufficiently offensive that the guy went back and keyed the vehicle and wrote it up as damaged.

Requiring an incident report is far from unusual at any car rental agency, Hertz included. Complaining to Hertz or to the local "manager" that the guy did his job as his employer required will likely result in not much coming your way.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 20, 19 at 12:43 pm
Old Jan 20, 19, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Look for the guy to go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and find a scratch which is somewhere you didn't photograph. Or maybe what OP said was sufficiently offensive that the guy went back and keyed the vehicle and wrote it up as damaged.

Requiring an incident report is far from unusual at any car rental agency, Hertz included. Complaining to Hertz or to the local "manager" that the guy did his job as his employer required will likely result in not much coming your way.
nono, my issue was not with the incident report - it was more so with the fact he claimed not to have SUVs available (which is the car I had been given at the HLE location) - when the app was allowing bookings for SUVs - and there were tons on the lot. The incident report is secondary.
Old Jan 20, 19, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nonetheless.
Old Jan 21, 19, 2:46 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Just because they are taking reservations for a particular vehicle type (or vehicles at all) doesn't mean anything. Their inventory system isn't realtime. You could go and book 100 cars at a sold out location if you wanted. In fact, the entire LA area was sold out this past weekend, and LAX was showing as sold out, but that didn't stop Hertz from taking reservations in Santa Monica, Venice, etc. When customers got there though, they were turned away. It's annoying. It's just poor inventory management.
Old Jan 21, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I have always found that yelling at line employees makes things betters. The guy making minimum wage working outside in the winter knows how important customer loyalty is and his main concern is maintaining the corporate image. He always cares more about stockholder value than any concern about procedures.
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
i totally agree, couldn't of said it better
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: MR,UR,SPG,AA
I always make a point of writing down the employee's name on my rental printout and I take the time to fill out the survey on my rental receipt and send them a positive shout-out on the survey. Sometimes I take a good picture and send a shout-out on twitter to @hertz mentioning the location and employee that was helpful.

Their managers all read the survey and they reward employees for excellent customer service and yes, they do remember me the next time I show up.
I am their #1 favorite customer.
Joonydell likes this.

Search this Thread