Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Customer Satisfaction Car Rental Certificate Question

Old Jan 16, 19, 10:25 am
Original Poster

I received a $$$ car rental certificate from Hertz. Can it be used with an online booking? I'm frustrated because it appears it can only be used with a pay later rental. The difference of the fare between pay now and pay later is more than my certificate so it makes no sense to use it at all. Seems this was a useless "sorry for your trouble" certificate.

Can anyone tell me if my CC can be credited later with the $100 if I use pay now when booking online? Or is there a way to enter a code online to deduct the $$$ certificate amount?

Thanks

Last edited by JTPandme2; Jan 16, 19 at 8:06 pm
Old Jan 16, 19, 10:55 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

It all depends on the terms and conditions of the certificate. You'd need to give us more info on what exactly it says on it as there are multiple types that have different uses and restrictions. A photo of it with any serial number of unique code blacked out would be most useful in order to assist you further, but typing out the terms an conditions would also help.
Old Jan 16, 19, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by JTPandme2 View Post
I received a $$$ car rental certificate from Hertz. Can it be used with an online booking? I'm frustrated because it appears it can only be used with a pay later rental. The difference of the fare between pay now and pay later is more than my certificate so it makes no sense to use it at all. Seems this was a useless "sorry for your trouble" certificate.

Can anyone tell me if my CC can be credited later with the $100 if I use pay now when booking online? Or is there a way to enter a code online to deduct the $$$ certificate amount?

Thanks
lmk how to receive one!
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:02 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SinglePapa2 View Post
lmk how to receive one!
Complain to the manager about a legit horrid problem you had. Not something frivolous.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:03 pm

Thanks
Enter the code in the PC section and see if it works. If not you have to “Pay Later” and see the desk when you return your car to deduct the amount from your rental. Code is valid for a year, you won’t be renting again sometime thereafter?
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat Prem, National EE, Hertz 5*
I complained about something and was promised one. I never heard back from the location manager (SNA) after he said he'd send it to me following up for 6 months before I escalated it to the Hertz social media team. The social media couldn't reach him either so the social media team sent me something instead.

When I tried to redeem it, they said I couldn't do it if I already had a PC on my rental, so I still have mine.
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1 View Post
I complained about something and was promised one. I never heard back from the location manager (SNA) after he said he'd send it to me following up for 6 months before I escalated it to the Hertz social media team. The social media couldn't reach him either so the social media team sent me something instead.

When I tried to redeem it, they said I couldn't do it if I already had a PC on my rental, so I still have mine.
The manager should have printed it on the spot upon your return. I had successfully used it with a PC code on return as well. So your experience is interesting.
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat Prem, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jim32190 View Post

The manager should have printed it on the spot upon your return. I had successfully used it with a PC code on return as well. So your experience is interesting.
I complained via the survey afterwards and they emailed me.

I also complained at BTR airport by survey and got nothing. BTR was incidentally also the place that wouldn't let me apply it and more issues from this airport corporate location....
Old Jan 18, 19, 12:14 pm

Just returned from RSW. I had a weekly rental and halfway through the check engine light came on and I returned the car to the airport and exchanged it for another. I asked at he the Gold booth what they could do for having me go out of my way to return the car. They gave me a $50 certificate for use on my next rental. On the certificate it says "must be presented before the end of the next rental"
Old Jan 18, 19, 6:57 pm

Funny you should mention that...

Thanks
I got one a few months ago in lovely Des Moines, Iowa (actually, the agents there were incredibly down to earth, normal and nice)... it's my understanding that you can (read: you have to) show up at the COUNTER (remember those things, before Hertz and National, etc. made it possible to go straight to your car), present the certificate, and then get the amount deducted from your current rental. With regard to your statement that "On the certificate it says must be presented before the end of the next rental", mine doesn't say that.
Old Jan 20, 19, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by randix View Post
it's my understanding that you can (read: you have to) show up at the COUNTER (remember those things, before Hertz and National, etc. made it possible to go straight to your car), present the certificate, and then get the amount deducted from your current rental.
You should also be able to do it on return. Ask the people in the garage NOT to check the vehicle in, and they will write the mileage/fuel/etc on the contract. You can then head into the gold booth/main desk and they will handle the certificate and close out the rental.
Old Jan 20, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: SWA RR ALP-CP, Delta PM, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jim32190 View Post

Complain to the manager about a legit horrid problem you had. Not something frivolous.
Would it be frivolous to complain about showing up to multiple, major Hertz airport locations and finding that they have zero vehicles in any section to rent even though I had a reservation (i.e. the lot was empty)?
Old Jan 20, 19, 12:26 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by FlyingJayhawk12 View Post

Would it be frivolous to complain about showing up to multiple, major Hertz airport locations and finding that they have zero vehicles in any section to rent even though I had a reservation (i.e. the lot was empty)?
Frivolous? No. That said, it depends on when you made the reservation. Hertz often won't do anything for you if you booked the reservation less than 48 hours prior to pickup. Theoretically, they shouldn't let you book a reservation if the location is sold out, but the reality is that their inventory management system and/or personnel are often not very good at this (especially at off-airport locations), so this often results in renters who booked close-in showing up at a location only to be told there are no vehicles available.

We know of multiple people in the LA area that experienced this very problem this weekend (MLK weekend). LAX is completely sold out and is not showing any availability online. Locations in Venice and Santa Monica, are still showing as bookable, however, if you book at any of those locations and show up, you are told that they are completely sold out and there's nothing they can do for you. Very frustrating.
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Marriott PP, UA *G, SK Dia
I recently got a $100 certificate in the mail after complaining to Hertz that although I had returned my car at LAX with a full gas tank, I was charged for refuel + satellite radio (which somehow said "agreed" on the bill although I never did).
Customer service was pretty nice via email and worked fast. So I guess I'll stay with Hertz.
Joonydell and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Search this Thread