Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at MSY; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*

This is an Ultimate Choice location (corporate) at New Orleans airport.

---

Dec 24, 2018.
Exchanged my existing rental (Nissan Altima with leather) for a Chevy Malibu with almost 40k miles and a cannabis smell which I would later swap again.

Other cars on lot:

5 Star
Kia Optima
Chevy Malibu x2
Chrysler 300
Chevy Impala
Kia Soul
Jeep Cherokee x2
Kia Sportage
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Friday morning at MSY in March:

President Circle
Reserved: Premium (G, PCAR/PDAR)
Assigned: None
Selected: Chrysler 300S (2019, 2000miles)

PC selection was disappointing:

- 300's (1 low mileage, the one I selected. The other reeked of smoke)
- Dodge Charger R/T (high mileage, and reeked of some cover-up scent. Probably had been smoked in)
- RAM 1500 Classic
- Dodge Journey (I think)
- Some other cars I don't remember

I was hoping for at least an Infiniti. Asked for one, but response was that they were all reserved. The offered a "base" Jaguar, but it would take some time to get it up, so I declined and got in the 300S. The 300S was certainly adequate but by no means exciting. They could at least carry the 300C with the standard HEMI and more driving assistance included. When dropping off the car they had a base Camaro and a 4Runner in the PC lot.
SoroSuub1 likes this.

Last edited by OSLexpat; Mar 24, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by OSLexpat
I was hoping for at least an Infiniti. Asked for one, but response was that they were all reserved. The offered a "base" Jaguar, but it would take some time to get it up, so I declined and got in the 300S. The 300S was certainly adequate but by no means exciting. They could at least carry the 300C with the standard HEMI and more driving assistance included. When dropping off the car they had a base Camaro in the PC lot.
300C does not have a standard Hemi.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Originally Posted by m907
300C does not have a standard Hemi.
2018 models and earlier does not have it standard, but 2019 do. It's a new change for the 2019 model year. Now the only available engine on the 300 C trim is the 5.7. HEMI.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:38 am

Got Chrysler Pacifica 7-seat Mini Van at MSY New Orleans airport with car play
Pretty nice car.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 15, 2019 at 6:36 pm Reason: moved into location-specific thread
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:18 pm

Picked up Friday, 12/13 around 1:30pm. Was looking for something to seat 6, and the only option in either PC or 5* was a Sorrento and an Acadia (which was quickly snapped up). Ended up changing my reservation to a minivan, and was assigned a Grand Caravan with 25K but leather.

Rest of PC was standard Dodge sedans, etc. There was a 4 Runner with cloth and I believe a Dodge Ram.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Empty lot. 3 people waiting. It took the agent 15 mins to find a B4 for an F reservation.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Went Yesterday for a last minute business trip.

No cars in President's Circle, Five Star, Or Gold.

Plenty of cars parked in "reserved" numbered spots for non-members who were directed to their car via the space number on the board. Seems backwards to make it easier for them vs your regular customers.

Lot booth was a cluster of members looking for cars. They just kept saying go wait we'll pull one up for you but it was absolutely disorganized. I know there are car and employee shortages but overall there was zero management of either situation going on.

Got a Buick Encore, so less than my full size reservation. Took it and ran so I wasn't late for my meeting.

Good reminder of why I've leaned towards National over Hertz since their BK.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Went Yesterday for a last minute business trip.

No cars in President's Circle, Five Star, Or Gold.

Plenty of cars parked in "reserved" numbered spots for non-members who were directed to their car via the space number on the board. Seems backwards to make it easier for them vs your regular customers.

Lot booth was a cluster of members looking for cars. They just kept saying go wait we'll pull one up for you but it was absolutely disorganized. I know there are car and employee shortages but overall there was zero management of either situation going on.

Got a Buick Encore, so less than my full size reservation. Took it and ran so I wasn't late for my meeting.

Good reminder of why I've leaned towards National over Hertz since their BK.
A B4/B5 is an upgrade from F, according to Hertz. So yes, even a kicks is an upgrade from a Camry let alone an encore
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Language from my rental last week:

Welcome to Hertz New Orleans, where you will experience Hertz Ultimate Choice.Thank you for choosing us! As a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member, you can skip the counter and head straight to your car.
How was PC and FS selection at MSY?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
How was PC and FS selection at MSY?
Zero cars in either section, or gold. The only cars on the lot were in assigned class spaces for those who are not members. It was completely backwards from how it should be run.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Zero cars in either section, or gold. The only cars on the lot were in assigned class spaces for those who are not members. It was completely backwards from how it should be run.
Brutal!! Have a reservation for early August. Hoping it gets better but have a backup with Nat just in case.

Were the cars in the assigned spaces bland I/FCARs?
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
Brutal!! Have a reservation for early August. Hoping it gets better but have a backup with Nat just in case.

Were the cars in the assigned spaces bland I/FCARs?
I would go with National unless the Hertz price is significantly better.

They had some decent cars in spaces, I tried to grab a Chrysler 300 before I realized it wasn't in a choice section.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
How do you know that a Gold Member didn't reserve a specific vehicle?
I regularly reserve an SUV, pick-up, Jeep, or even a convertible. My name will appear on the board with a space number, and usually the type of vehicle I've reserved in that spot.
When I reserve vehicles, I'll look through the list of choices. Sometimes there are, "different," types of vehicles available, for a good price, so I'll reserve one.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
How do you know that a Gold Member didn't reserve a specific vehicle?
I regularly reserve an SUV, pick-up, Jeep, or even a convertible. My name will appear on the board with a space number, and usually the type of vehicle I've reserved in that spot.
When I reserve vehicles, I'll look through the list of choices. Sometimes there are, "different," types of vehicles available, for a good price, so I'll reserve one.
Frankly I don't, but a majority of them were "ordinary" vehicles. I wasn't presented the option to do so with the full size I booked during the booking process. If there's a way to do so even in the normal classes I'd love to hear it so I can avoid this in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.