Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Price difference between airport location and local

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Hi all

I Am currently looking at a 15 day rental in April picking up at LAX and returning at San Diego airport . I'm president circle, so just looking at intermediate size vehicle. The cost of this is coming out around GBP £550. However if I pick the car up in Dana Point CA, the price reduces to GBP £320.

Anyone have any ideas why there is such a price increase to hire from LAX?

Thoughts would be appreciated
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
My guess is airport taxes.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:30 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Airport taxes are part of it, but the reality is that prices can vary from one airport to another and one off-airport location to another. A lof of it has to do with supply and demand and how competitive a specific neighborhood is. If you can be specific about dates and what sort of vehicle you are looking for, we can tell you if there is an even lower cost option than Dana Point.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:37 am
Original Poster

OK thanks

13th April until 28th April

Standard /intermediate car is fine
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:10 am

AutoSlash has a rate of $489 (GBP £384) for a pickup at LAX, or $461 (GBP £361) for a pickup in Culver City (a lot closer to LAX than Dana Point). You can use the links below to get a quote for your specific needs if you like.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

ok thanks will do
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by stevietommo
ok thanks will do
@AutoSlash correct me if I'm wrong, but the rates you quote won't include any insurances since they are quoted for US-based travelers? I'm guessing OP is from the UK, and booking at hertz.co.uk gives you a rate with all the insurances included.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rates are different because pricing is set by demand. While airport concession fees and the like may pump up the airport location cost, it won't be by that much. OP is simply looking at different markets and if he is willing to get himself from LAX to Dana Point, he can save GBP 230.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by klanfa
@AutoSlash correct me if I'm wrong, but the rates you quote won't include any insurances since they are quoted for US-based travelers? I'm guessing OP is from the UK, and booking at hertz.co.uk gives you a rate with all the insurances included.
That is correct. If the OP needs an insurance-inclusive rental they should book directly with Hertz or another site that offers inclusive rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.