Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Gold Rewards, twice the rental charge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium

I have been regularly flying into VLC (Valencia, Spain) and renting there a car for a week, always using my 10 year seasoned Hertz Gold Rewards. Charges for a small car have always been around EUR 140 - 150 a week.
Yesterday, I attempted to make another reservation for a week and I am being offered rates at EUR 265 - 300 for the same type vehicle. Thought this was maybe an error and made a reservation at a competitor.

This morning, I though to get back to Hertz and make a dummy reservation without logging into Gold Reward, as a guest. Lo and behold: my former rental prices returned to the screen!
I went and toggled a few times between logging in and not, always getting the same result, Gold Rewards twice the charge. Finally, I made that reservation as a guest, giving the same renter's information as is stored under Gold Rewards and the booking
confirmed.

I figured saving EUR 150 is worth standing in line a little and walking an aisle further. Anyone in this forum have an explanation what happened?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What are the inclusions on the rental booked and what are the profile preferences of the account?

Is it , or example, that the account is set to decline CDW , but the cheap rate includes CDW , whilst rates excluding it are more expensive? - alternatively is there a CDP that you are using which is now not giving good rates for Velencia?

I just did a dummy 1 week random booking and getting rates of around EUR205 inclusive of CDW and TP

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 29, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
My Hertz Gold preferences are set to decline all coverage options and no add-ons for other items, just pure rental plus taxes.
Guest bookings are also not quoting any options, until you choose the car and move over to the options menu. So this cannot be the culprit.

Your dummy booking looks good, just about what it should be. I never add CDW nor TP.

The only thing that may have pulled the change is, in May I had a rental out of Germany and drove through Austria, where I had to buy a time limited toll sticker before entering. I did that, but by mistake did not attach the peel-off sticker correctly and must have been photographed as a toll violator (see attached). It wasn't until mid December that I received the notice (mail went to the US while I was abroad) and a EUR 300 fine (off topic, but this is draconic!)
Nevertheless, I had a rental a couple of weeks ago in Malaga, Spain and it was totally normal, so it may or may not have been the reason for the increased charge.
I am planning to pick up the Guest Rental from Hertz next week and, at the counter, have them add my membership number. The rental, this time, is all prepaid.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:07 pm

Not including CDW/TP can lead to higher rates. Also which country were you booking as when not logged in. different sites lead to different prices. For example for 16-23 Jan

using the USA

USA
Compact C EUR148.35 excl TP and CDW
Economy B EUR130.08 excl TP and CDW

however UK , ES and AU all have different rates (that include CDW and TP)

UK
Compact C EUR134.96
Economy B EUR112.97
AU
Compact C EUR241.04
Economy B EUR195.52

ES
Economy B EUR109.96 inc TP and CDW

For a Group C, out of these options, booking from the UK works out best and also includes the unwanted CDW/TP . For a group B , booking from Spain comes out the best ( also with TP/CDW)

When logged in, iirc, it will always use the country associated with the account. Are you currently in your home country?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I had a similar experience with Hertz in Poland. When I log in, the rate doubles (doe not matter what country I select). I would book the car without my Hertz number, call up and have them add it. Usually the better rate sticks.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
I had a similar experience with Hertz in Poland. When I log in, the rate doubles (doe not matter what country I select). I would book the car without my Hertz number, call up and have them add it. Usually the better rate sticks.
When you log in, it will, I believe always use pricing of the country of residence associated with your account regardless of what country you select
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:33 pm

Fwiw I have had the same experience trying to book both at FRA and in the US, basically shows a much higher price when logged in. Generally found the website to be a disaster with lots of glitches, endlessly spinning wheels, dead ends etc. Also did not get a response from Hertz when I inquired about these problems. The way I fixed it on my side was by using their iPhone app to book. That seems to work a lot better than the website and gave me the correct prices.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When you log in, it will, I believe always use pricing of the country of residence associated with your account regardless of what country you select
I too thought this was the problem but test booking was made from same country as residence and the price difference prevailed. Then thought it was extras, insurance etc but that wasnt it either. I just think the Hertz website is deeply flawed. App seems to work better though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.