Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using points doesn't give free day options, just paltry $-off options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC

Anyone else noticing new points redemption options? Instead of the usual fixed points per day rental, Im seeing a variety of points for dollar amount off discount options such as these;
200 points = $5 off
300 points = $7.50 off
400 points = $12 off
500 points = $20 off
600 points = $30 off

Obviously a poor value when you can get a free day for 650 points.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:28 am

In my area these are the only options lately.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'm seeing those options as well. They're in addition to the XXX points/day options, but I also see the $/point (and just the $/point) options for rental requests that don't qualify for the points/$ options (such as large SUVs).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Scary. I hope this doesn’t replace the previous model, otherwise my stockpile of points will be worthless...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by jim32190
Scary. I hope this doesn’t replace the previous model, otherwise my stockpile of points will be worthless...
Agreed. I never get less than 10c/point, and often close to 20c/point in value, so these would be a 50-90% devaluation, plus you can only use a small amount of points on each rental.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:02 pm

+1
I don't think that's the plan though - the description for the $ value awards states " Don’t have enough points for a free rental? Now use what points you have and pay the difference. " I think it's a genuine attempt to give more options, so that they can say "use as little as 200 points to get a discount on your rental, or just 550 for a free weekend day'.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Agreed. Hopefully this is intended for the occasional (like 1x per year) type of renter who only has a few points and would rather use them to offset the rental a bit instead of waiting several years for points to accumulate to a free day. I would be really upset if they changed the current model for their heavy renters.
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:23 pm

In NYC we almost always have to use double points on weekend rentals. Now I don't even get that option anymore. Only option I get is redeem for dollar value.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by vandals04
In NYC we almost always have to use double points on weekend rentals. Now I don't even get that option anymore. Only option I get is redeem for dollar value.
Hopefully that's just a glitch. Have you tried calling in to check points rates?
Knowing the value points carry on weekends in NYC, it would be a killer blow if they removed the daily awards completely.

Edit and follow up to my own comment:
I tried pricing out a 3-day rental in San Diego over Thanksgiving, and the website only showed the dollar amount discount. Upon calling, I was quoted 4050 points, which is indeed the required rate for 3 weekday anyday reward.
So that's somewhat reassuring - seems like free day awards should be bookable over the phone. As long as there is a way to get the free day award at all locations, I am a happy camper.

Last edited by klanfa; Oct 18, 2018 at 1:10 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I just did a dummy booking using the mobile app for a one-way points rental from LGA and I see both the old and new points redemption methods.

I also did a dummy booking for Manhattan and only the $ off options are shown so that is a major bummer.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 18, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:31 pm

Tried a dummy booking for a Manhattan HLE next weekend, and only saw the $ off options. Called in, and they booked it with points (1100/day, as usual), no problem at all. So, looks like another Hertz website problem.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Why would you rent a car in Manhattan? Are you leaving the island? Uber works great.

Again- curious as to use cases...
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:20 am

People don't rent cars in Manhattan for local trips. They use the car to visit friends, family, shopping malls, and tourist sites, in suburban and rural areas, in transit deserts, where Uber would be too far and too expensive.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
People don't rent cars in Manhattan for local trips. They use the car to visit friends, family, shopping malls, and tourist sites, in suburban and rural areas, in transit deserts, where Uber would be too far and too expensive.
Yup. Only market in the country where weekend rentals are notably more expensive than during the week.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Yup. Only market in the country where weekend rentals are notably more expensive than during the week.
So true as a New Yorker needed a weekend rental, it was cheaper to get the car for the week. I usually use Zipcar but even their weekend rates are sky high only their M-Thur overnight rates make any sense these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.