Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using points doesn't give free day options, just paltry $-off options

Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:53 pm

Even a 1 day charge can be very expensive for a one-way.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Even a 1 day charge can be very expensive for a one-way.
One can also purchase dedicated rental car insurance for $10-ish per calendar day from travel insurance agencies. Another option is Amex premium rental car insurance.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA MM
Some very good ideas here, many thanks for the responses!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
In NYC there are no taxes and fees at all when using points. But relying on credit card insurance coverage is not an issue for me because I have my own. (And I'd recommend everyone does too, even a non-drivers policy.) Just an FYI that no credit card insurance coverage or LDW will cover damage to another vehicle. It only covers damage to the rental vehicle itself...

Hertz denies that this new redemption option is intended to replace the free days option, yet nobody will get back to me about why I don't see a free days option anymore at the HLEs in Manhattan. Frustrating that I am a Presidents' Circle member and a member of the Hertz Hub too. Tells you a lot about how how they treat their most loyal customers...
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pinky
In NYC there are no taxes and fees at all when using points. But relying on credit card insurance coverage is not an issue for me because I have my own. (And I'd recommend everyone does too, even a non-drivers policy.) Just an FYI that no credit card insurance coverage or LDW will cover damage to another vehicle. It only covers damage to the rental vehicle itself...
I wouldn't say "no card insurane" since there are lots of different policies around the world and they have very different terms

My car insurance wouldn't provide any coverage for a hire car and not even aware of such a thing as non driverspolicy here
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pinky
Sure, but the car comes with third party liability coverage included, albeit at state minimum limits?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by jim32190

Sure, but the car comes with third party liability coverage included, albeit at state minimum limits?
Depends on your risk tolerance, I guess. Vehicle damage can easily go over$10k, and injury can go way over $25k.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Is this something new??

Trying to do a two day rental on points at DEN in late January, and when I get to the page to choose how many points to apply, instead of the usual choice of free days for so many points, the only options are some small dollar-off options.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 20, 2018 at 3:59 am Reason: merged with existing thread
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
do you have enough points to cover a 2 day rental? it cud be based on your point accumulation....
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Way more than enough.

Checking at other locations, I do get the usual choice of free days.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
hmmm, thats interesting. i would call up hertz and ask them to book it for you over the phone. good luck man!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hertz
I'm noticing that a lot on any car rentals reservation that I was trying to make online last 2-3 months. Mainly points for $ off or very limited choice of 1-4 days awards. I don't see weekly awards listed anymore.
It looks like I'll have to call to reserve instead of trying to do online reservation... A bit backward in my mind.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:15 pm

Any wisdom, @AutoSlash ?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:04 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Hertz added a points+cash option in late November which you can read about here. That said, we still seem to be able to book with points only just fine. Keep in mind that weekday rentals are more expensive that weekend rentals, one-ways are more expensive than round-trips, etc. You might want to try a 1-day rental and see what happens and/or consult the award chart to re-confirm.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 20, 2018 at 11:39 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:19 pm

I'm seeing this behavior pretty consistently now across multiple locations. In my latest attempt on a 3 day rental (at $90+ per day!) at KOA, the only options are 300 points for a $7.50 discount or 500 points for a $20.00 discount.

Maybe calling in will work to "fix" this, but overall this is a huge pain and seems like a severe devaluation in the program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.