Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using points doesn't give free day options, just paltry $-off options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using points doesn't give free day options, just paltry $-off options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Just noticed this too and it’s ridiculous. As a PC member and also a member of the Hertz Hub, I guess I’m not important enough to get notifications of these changes. I only get asked for input on whether I would be more or less likely to earn more Gold Plus Rewards if it means we can redeem them for department store or Restaurant.com gift cards LOL

Paging mmcdowellwho can perhaps shed some insight

Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Tried a dummy booking for a Manhattan HLE next weekend, and only saw the $ off options. Called in, and they booked it with points (1100/day, as usual), no problem at all. So, looks like another Hertz website problem.
Maybe... Or maybe it's just their way of soft-rolling the change in order to reduce complaints. Remove the option from most people by removing it from the website/app, but (for a while, at least) allow it over the phone.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:27 pm

Hertz is becoming more and more like Enterprise and the discount brands every day, in terms of service, not prices.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:42 pm

Do we know for sure that Hertz is replacing free days with $ off?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by m907
Do we know for sure that Hertz is replacing free days with $ off?
How did you come to that conclusion?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:51 am

Someone in Manhattan didn't get the normal free day options. It's also a logical step, at least for some point in the future.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781

How did you come to that conclusion?
I didn't, I was asking if someone else had.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:12 pm

So imagine if you bought the Discover America deal - all those Hertz points under the impression that they would be used toward rentals. Now all these points can be used for $20 off coupons. This is such blatant fraud.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Gold, Marriot Silver, HH
Only seeing the points for $ off coupons now. Shot a message to Hertz on Twitter; their response: use this (completely undocumented) PC and you can book it at the AnyDay Rewards rate!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:25 pm

What is the PC rate?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:02 pm

Just got an email regarding the new redemption options.
" For a limited time, you can use Gold Plus Rewards points to pay for part of your rental. If you have at least 200 points, you will be given the option to pay with points at checkout. "

Looks like good news to me
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Unfortunately I avoid the totally free days because I have never been comfortable with whether or not my credit card would cover damage, and of course I don't want to buy the LDW. So this could be an opportunity to use my points, but it doesn't seem to let you use a lot of points on a single rental? Or to do that should I try to make a for-points rental and get an option then to pay part of the rental? (I believe that would solve the ambiguity). I didn't see anything on the Hertz web site short of making a dummy res, which I have not yet tried.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Unfortunately I avoid the totally free days because I have never been comfortable with whether or not my credit card would cover damage, and of course I don't want to buy the LDW. So this could be an opportunity to use my points, but it doesn't seem to let you use a lot of points on a single rental? Or to do that should I try to make a for-points rental and get an option then to pay part of the rental? (I believe that would solve the ambiguity). I didn't see anything on the Hertz web site short of making a dummy res, which I have not yet tried.
There are always taxes and fees not covered with the rental so you’ll end up paying some of it anyway. I don’t think it makes a difference if a portion of your rental is paid by points or the entire thing exclusive of taxes and fees.

One of my cc has a clause that says the rental is covered if the rental is a result of a “free days” promotion earned by previous rentals for which each was charged on that same card. Check if yours has a similar clause and if you’ve been using only one to rent from Hertz.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:01 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by jim32190

There are always taxes and fees not covered with the rental so you’ll end up paying some of it anyway. I don’t think it makes a difference if a portion of your rental is paid by points or the entire thing exclusive of taxes and fees.

One of my cc has a clause that says the rental is covered if the rental is a result of a “free days” promotion earned by previous rentals for which each was charged on that same card. Check if yours has a similar clause and if you’ve been using only one to rent from Hertz.
You could also just return a day (or a few hours) late if you run in an issue which would trigger a 1-day charge.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:33 pm

If you rent for 4 days and use points for 3 days you'll have a full day charge left, which should be sufficient for coverage with most if not all credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.