Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using points doesn't give free day options, just paltry $-off options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using points doesn't give free day options, just paltry $-off options

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hertz, Delta, Bonvoy
Just ran into this trying to book at my favorite location in NYC. Frustrating.
The 24 Hour Avis on my street is looking better and better.

FYI- People rent cars in NYC to go places. I've yet to try Uber to Boston.

And does anyone know which Insurers offer "Non-owner" policies. I'd like to get one, but they're hard to find.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by PatPatriot
Just ran into this trying to book at my favorite location in NYC. Frustrating.
The 24 Hour Avis on my street is looking better and better.

FYI- People rent cars in NYC to go places. I've yet to try Uber to Boston.

And does anyone know which Insurers offer "Non-owner" policies. I'd like to get one, but they're hard to find.
I have a Travelers non-owner's policy, costs me around $120/year for $500k of coverage. Got it through Campbell-Solberg.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:01 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Where can I buy daily 3rd party liability insurance for occasional car rental?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:15 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

There's no place we know of that sells daily liability policies. As mentioned in a previous post, Campbell Solberg in NYC is good for a non-owner policy that will cover you for an entire year. We've got a link to them in this post with some other useful info.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like this is still a problem, at least for NYC rentals.
I'm wondering if it's related to the AnyDay awards, which aren't programmed into the new interface with the "pay with points" option. Might explain why AutoSlash can see the option in an off-peak/regular points rental at MCO. As far as I know, Manhattan only does AnyDay awards, at least for weekend rentals.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm wondering if it's related to the AnyDay awards, which aren't programmed into the new interface with the "pay with points" option. Might explain why AutoSlash can see the option in an off-peak/regular points rental at MCO. As far as I know, Manhattan only does AnyDay awards, at least for weekend rentals.
Not sure if AnyDay is the issue. I checked ORD for 5/17-5-19 (which is during an Anyday period on the calendar) and 5/10-5/12 (which is a standard period), and the points/day option didn't show up for either...

Interesting, the AnyDay Rewards calendar doesn't list the Manhattan locations at all...

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...ay_Rewards.jsp

Last edited by cestmoi123; Feb 27, 2019 at 7:16 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:43 am

Hoping someone can help out with this question. Idk if this was a new 2019 change but I noticed now when I go to book a car via points sometimes it only lets me use points 'as a discount' to lower the cost of the rental (I.e. use 600 pts to lower rental $30 which is the highest option). For a rental that's $150 a day this serves no purpose. I don't see any other way to use the 1100 pts for a daily rental. What gives? Is there any way around this?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 27, 2019 at 4:49 pm Reason: moved into existing thread on this topic
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Hoping someone can help out with this question. Idk if this was a new 2019 change but I noticed now when I go to book a car via points sometimes it only lets me use points 'as a discount' to lower the cost of the rental (I.e. use 600 pts to lower rental $30 which is the highest option). For a rental that's $150 a day this serves no purpose. I don't see any other way to use the 1100 pts for a daily rental. What gives? Is there any way around this?
Just noticed this too. My attempt was at DTW.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Call in, they'll book it the usual way.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bumping this - I am seeing the original free day(s)/week options back, but only at some locations in NYC. Haven't done a comprehensive search of dates or locations, but at least for an upcoming potential rental, it's letting me choose a regular weekend day award (at the standard level no less!) at the W 83rd St. location, but NOT at the W 55th St. one.

Still kind of annoying though.
I had tried emailing the Hertz webmaster, but of course that got bounced back...
Old May 6, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Anyone have any recent points bookings where they were able to use points to cover the price of a full day? Was just trying to book a trip at DEN using points and the only point options were up to $30 dollars off the total.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:05 pm

Yes, I have recently used points for two different rentals at JFK (two days and one day), on dates that seemed ridiculously expensive. The latter I booked only last week.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was able to use points for a weekend rental in LGA with no issues. However, it's been extremely difficult to find one at DCA.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:56 am

For Palm Springs I could use a free day last week. For Salt Lake City only $'s off
ChevyCruze and Joonydell like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.