Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Premium Auto (PCAR) Australia - What to expect?

Old Dec 16, 18, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways

Hi all, I am planning on booking a car for two days when I'm in Cairns in June. Thinking of treating myself and going for a Group P premium auto (PCAR) since the price jump isn't too large over everything else.

The website says it's a Holden SV6 or similar. I'm not too familiar with Australian cars, but a quick look online suggests that the Holden SV6 hasn't been produced since 2016, so can I expect something else? What is normally included under the PCAR booking?

My other thought were going for the HFAR Group I (SUV intermediate - Nissan X-Trail or similar) or the FCAR Group D (Full Size - Toyota Camry or similar.) These are all roughly the same price, so what could I expect with one of these? I'm only hoping of getting something different from what we get here in the UK so I'm curious to see which one I should go for!

Many thanks
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
at least in the USA, the makes and models posted on the website are usually not accurate. i cant recall the last time i rented a group p and got a Buick, or economy class and received a chevy spark. i doubt Australia is any diff.
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ld0595 View Post
The website says it's a Holden SV6 or similar. I'm not too familiar with Australian cars, but a quick look online suggests that the Holden SV6 hasn't been produced since 2016, so can I expect something else? What is normally included under the PCAR booking?
The last Australian production Holden Commodore was Oct 17. GM closed Australian production on 17 Oct 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VF) Last model produced
The Holden brand has continued with imported cars
I would go for a Commodore if available. Would be ~ 2 years old and maybe gone to auction/sold by then. Only the hot sporty model Holdens were sold in UK as a Vauxhall

Hertz Premium Cars Australia
Prestige Car Changes in Australia
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:56 pm

Programs: National EE
I rented this Holden Commodore SV6 in Melbourne from Hertz back in March 2018 and it had 16,000 km (10,000 miles). Hard to say if there are any left in the fleet as production stopped last year. One of the guys I was chatting with was hoping they were going to be replaced with the Kia Stinger.

The year before that I rented a Holden Commodore SS from Europcar in New Zealand and it was amazing. The best sport sedan I have ever driven and the bi modal exhaust sounded amazing on the Chevy LS3 V8.

It looks like Hertz has also added the right hand drive Mustang GT to their fleet down under.

Old Dec 20, 18, 1:56 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta GM, National EE, Hertz PC, SPG Plat
I also had Commodore SV6's for both my PCAR reservations (CNS and SYD). Very nice cruisers.
Old Jan 8, 19, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm going to book the PCAR and hope I get a Commodore SV6!
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:33 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ld0595 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! I'm going to book the PCAR and hope I get a Commodore SV6!
Please report back with your results.
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that the infiniti is also a P group car and is a nice vehicle
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
There's some discussion of PCAR's here - Prestige Car Changes in Australia

As mentioned on about page 7 of that thread, I had BNE try to give me a Subaru Outback on a PCAR/"SV6 or similar" booking (not sure if it really is or not? I would have though some level of SUV?), before giving me a VW Passat.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 5:12 am

What cars are now being offered by Hertz AU (specifically Sydney area) when booking PCAR? How about others such as Avis?
Old Jun 6, 19, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Just to provide an update - I got a Toyota Kluger. The branch I used in Cairns was quite small, so I don't think they had a PCAR. Not quite what I was expecting but I enjoyed it nonetheless!

Search this Thread