FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Hertz Fast Lane powered by CLEAR (TM) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1944929-hertz-fast-lane-powered-clear-tm.html)

gooselee Dec 8, 2018 3:41 pm

Hertz Fast Lane powered by CLEAR (TM)

Just got an email to sign up for some sort of Hertz/CLEAR partnership, only available at ATL. Looks like they use CLEAR biometrics to expedite lot exit. Anyone used this yet?

docbert Dec 9, 2018 10:53 pm

Hertz Fast Lane powered by CLEAR (TM)

Just logged into the Hertz website, and under the My Account button there's an option "Clear Account Linking"

Not being sure exactly what linking I was going to clear, I clicked on it only to be bough to something called "Hertz Fast Lane", powered by Clear.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/link/clear/account

There's no real details other than the T&C which states :

By linking your accounts, you understand and agree to Hertz and CLEAR transferring personal information about you to each other, for the purposes of facilitating Hertz Fast Lane rentals. You must have: (1) an active CLEAR account with registered biometrics; (2) a valid U.S. Driver's License linked to your CLEAR account; (3) linked your CLEAR and Hertz Gold accounts; and (4) completed at least one car rental using your Hertz Gold account prior to your first Hertz Fast Lane use.
I don't have CLEAR so I can't proceed any further (it takes me to the Clear login page), but I'm guessing this may be some biometric-based quick checkout concept they are about to roll-out?

m907 Dec 10, 2018 4:27 am

The only thing I can think of is an automated lane where you scan your fingerprint instead of handing over your license and then you leave.

AutoSlash Dec 10, 2018 6:36 am

Hertz And CLEAR Partner To Offer Benefits For Busy Travelers - Nov 12, 2012

docbert Dec 10, 2018 9:10 am

That doesn't seem to cover anything more than a free trial and reduced rates for CLEAR membership, which is something that numerous companies offer. It doesn't mention "Fast Last" or anything else new on the Hertz side.

None of which is probably all that surprising given that it's over 6 years old...

AutoSlash Dec 10, 2018 10:03 am

It's possible that there is more integration coming that hasn't been announced yet and something was released to the website before it was ready. Wouldn't be the first time. :D

dayone Dec 11, 2018 12:03 am

Launched December 7.

Hertz, Clear partner to speed rentals with biometric scans

Hertz with Clear launched their biometrics scans this week at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It will be rolled out to 40 more U.S. Hertz locations next year, including John F. Kennedy Airport in New York, San Francisco International Airport and Los Angeles International Airport.

Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program members with access to Clear will be able to bypass the counter, pick up their car and head to the exit gate. There, Clear pods equipped with cameras and touchscreens can read their face or their fingerprints. If they match up with Hertz's reservation data, the gate will open. Hertz will have at least one lane dedicated to Clear members at each location.

AutoSlash Dec 11, 2018 5:19 am

Hertz began emailing customers about this early this morning:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...Page=clear.jsp

And here is the press release with additional info and pics:

http://ir.hertz.com/2018-12-11-Hertz...tal-Experience

As an aside, it's worth mentioning that Hertz Gold members get from 1-6 months of free CLEAR access depending on their status level. Taking advantage of this is basically a no-brainer (especially if you don't have pre-check) as it's a nice time-saver.

cblaisd Dec 11, 2018 8:04 am

Just a data point: My experience with CLEAR has been terrible. I would say that in a dozen times of using it, only once did it actually pick up my biometrics on the first try. I have had several instances where it took 7 or 8 tries and then the machine simply errored out or crashed. I would hate to be trying this at a Hertz exit gate with cars behind me.

CLEAR, ime, over-promises and under-delivers.

YMMV.

dayone Dec 11, 2018 8:31 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 30522311)
Hertz Gold members get from 1-6 months of free CLEAR access depending on their status level.

And a preferred annual membership fee of $129. The regular rate is $179.

cblaisd Dec 11, 2018 8:54 am

If you call and add your DL FF #, it's $99/year.

mike929 Dec 11, 2018 9:14 am

So, you are paying extra just to check out faster? I will note that Hertz in ATL is extremely slow.

uastarflyer Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mike929 (Post 30522978)
So, you are paying extra just to check out faster? I will note that Hertz in ATL is extremely slow.

You are paying for CLEAR airport services (faster queue to security). Same as before. The Hertz free add on is just a side benefit.

Or you can look at it as a tipping point to get CLEAR, if you were on the fence originally.

A dedicated Face ID lane might bottle up other lanes at certain airports with limited space to have lanes. That is my only concern.

docbert Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mike929 (Post 30522978)
So, you are paying extra just to check out faster?

Actually, it looks like it's going to be free!

Use of Hertz Fast Lane powered by CLEAR is a new benefit for Hertz Gold Plus RewardsŪ program members, and membership in CLEAR is available at no additional cost when used in connection with this program. Members interested in upgrading their CLEAR membership to include airport security access, will receive preferred pricing based on their Hertz loyalty status.
So free to use Fast Lane, but you'll still need to pay to get the airport benefits of CLEAR.

uastarflyer Dec 11, 2018 9:25 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 30523007)
Yeah, this is my beef with this.

I'll end the year at 49 rentals. I've been PC for multiple years. And now to use a new feature that Hertz is rolling out to get me out of the garage faster I need to pay money to a 3rd party company?

The whole premise of CLEAR has never really made sense to me - they bill it as biometrics, but really it's just a way to pay to bypass the line. But at least when it was to get past TSA it wasn't like the airline was charging me extra - which is what Hertz is seemingly doing here...

Do you have the same beef with Fastpass (toll transponder) lanes at airport parking garages? You have to pay into a 3rd party system to take advantage of that too.

This is a free additional benefit of CLEAR courtesy of Hertz.