Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Credit Changed Spare Tire.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Five Star, HH Gold, BW Platinum, M Life Gold
Rental Credit Changed Spare Tire.

Long story short got a flat in Pensacola, Florida enroute to Biloxi, MI. I pulled over changed the flat on Jeep Cherokee and when I went to return it they were shocked I did and gave me a $35 future credit on a rental. I told then hey I didn't have time to call I actually just wanted to get back to my hotel in Biloxi. Anyone else ever ran into this situation?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:43 pm

No but I would have done the same thing! AND been surprised by any credit..... When Im using a rental car I treat it like my own..... which to me NATURALLY means routine stuff... (checking oil/tyre pressures etc) …...and yes, changing a tyre if necessary. YMMV of course... but I can't imagine waiting by the side of the road when I can address the problem myself and get on my way...
Mthorn82 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:20 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Mthorn82
Long story short got a flat in Pensacola, Florida enroute to Biloxi, MI. I pulled over changed the flat on Jeep Cherokee and when I went to return it they were shocked I did and gave me a $35 future credit on a rental. I told then hey I didn't have time to call I actually just wanted to get back to my hotel in Biloxi. Anyone else ever ran into this situation?
I'm more surprised that they didn't charge you (full retail,) for the new tire to replace the flat one. That's what they did when I had a flat in Monterey, CA.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Five Star, HH Gold, BW Platinum, M Life Gold
Originally Posted by rbAA
I'm more surprised that they didn't charge you (full retail,) for the new tire to replace the flat one. That's what they did when I had a flat in Monterey, CA.
That is crazy! I just got a flat from nail or something no actual curb impact etc but this is good to know for future reference!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by rbAA
Agreed. Usually they charge for the flat tire.

On a rental with Silver Car I had a puncture, took it took a shop to have it looked at and they found a piece of metal inside the wheel. Instead of getting ripped off for a new tire from them I ended up just buying it myself cheaper.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is crazy! I just got a flat from nail or something no actual curb impact etc but this is good to know for future reference!
It doesn't matter what the cause is, what matters is that damage occurred whilst you had the vehicle - mechanical failures are not your responsibility, but punctured tyres are

Did you have LDW ? if not, then I think that you were fortunate to get a credit voucher rather than a damage report and bill
Ummmwhat likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It doesn't matter what the cause is, what matters is that damage occurred whilst you had the vehicle - mechanical failures are not your responsibility, but punctured tyres are

Did you have LDW ? if not, then I think that you were fortunate to get a credit voucher rather than a damage report and bill
I had to fill out a damage thing but nothing was done after that. I do work for a company that uses Hertz only for all travel within the company so maybe that had something to do with it. No LDW.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had to fill out a damage thing but nothing was done after that. I do work for a company that uses Hertz only for all travel within the company so maybe that had something to do with it. No LDW.
If a damage report was done, you may well find that you ( or your company ) receive a charge from Hertz for the damage
Ummmwhat likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Poster

At this point it is what it is if I get the charge time to pay up. I enjoy the Hertz rental experience for the most part and wouldn't really look down on this mishape just consider it something that can happen. I'll update this post if I end up getting charged.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:17 pm

I've had two punctures with Hertz rentals. In both cases I actually had LDW (one was a work rental and another booked on the Spanish website, with a rate that included LDW and liability insurance). One was a run-flat tyre and the other was only losing air very slowly, so in both occasions I was able to drive to a an office and get a new car. I did not even fill a damage report.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
@OP, was it a full size spare or a mini-skinny donut type spare? #MoreImportantQuestion

Also, I think you meant Biloxi, MS (Mississippi). MI (Michigan) would be a long ride on a spare.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
My friend rented with Hertz, got a flat, and was able to exchange it no problem. He didn’t fill out a vehicle incident report either. This was last year, and nothing had ever come of it.

This month I had a flat in the second week of my month long rental. Exchanged it and didnt fill out an incident report either which leads me to believe nothing will come out of it.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
@OP, was it a full size spare or a mini-skinny donut type spare? #MoreImportantQuestion

Also, I think you meant Biloxi, MS (Mississippi). MI (Michigan) would be a long ride on a spare.
Lol I always get the MS and MI mixed up but yes Mississippi. It was a skinny donut spare drove about 100 miles on it actually had to stop at a gas station after I put it on the Jeep Cherokee the TPMS said 12 lbs air in it which kept dropping so I'm thinking how so with it being a 2019 and warmer weather down South. So I stopped at a Loves and got a tire pressure gauge to check it was no issues around 50lbs in it. Most likely bad TPMS sensor in the spare from the factory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.