Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Credit card collission coverage on Gold Plus Rewards booking?

Old Nov 27, 18, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm considering a Gold Plus Rewards booking and want to make sure I have appropriate collision coverage. Of course straightforward with my Visa card on paid bookings, as the card provides collission coverage with only a few restrictions (luxury vehicles excluded, a few countries excluded, of course must decline CDW at location). Trying to figure out how this applies to a points redemption. https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...ge-waiver.html says eligibility for the benefit requires " 1. Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction with your eligible Visa card." For the entire portion of the rental to be paid with money (taxes, surcharges), I will indeed use my Visa card -- but there are also the points which are admittedly somewhat different.

Does anyone know how Visa interprets this language? I called their benefits administrator but the staff person I spoke with did not seem confident. No email address apparent for inquiries.

I searched travel blogs, as this seems like the kind of thing bloggers might figure out. Thought I once read something to the effect that different card issuers treat this differently, in which case one might imagine a list of which issuer has which policy. But I found no such thing. Guidance appreciated!
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - silver medallion
I had discussed it with American Express a few years ago - it must be the same.

Here is the deal - if you book your whole rental with points only, with only fees and taxes on top of that - you do not qualify for the rental coverage since there is no rental payment at all.

However, if you book a free day / weekend / week AND add a paid extra day to it - then you have an entire rental paid with your card, and the rewards part becomes just a discount subscription - the same as any $ off coupon.

To back up my words, I have had a successful claim with AmEx for a minor damage to a rental car in Spain, where I have a free week using rewards plus 2 days with cash, and a $100 upgrade fee.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Chase has told me that, so long as (a) some portion of the rental is charged to the card, and (b) none of the discounts are from other credit card companies (i.e. not using vouchers obtained with Amex MR points), then its covered.
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:26 am

Also, I assume you know this, but it's worth a periodic reminder that credit card collision coverage (1) only covers damage to the vehicle, not to third parties, (2) is usually secondary (meaning you have to go through your personal insurance first if you have personal insurance, and the credit card only covers deductibles and things like loss-of-use charges that regular insurance might not cover) and (3) even if it's primary (as on some Chase cards), may not cover the rental company's full claim. I found out #3 the hard way, as Chase excludes "diminished value" from the collision benefit, and Hertz demanded hundreds of dollars for diminished value when I crashed car this summer.
cestmoi123 likes this.

Search this Thread