Follow-Up After Accident - How Long? (UK Rental)

Old Nov 27, 18, 3:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Follow-Up After Accident - How Long? (UK Rental)

Wonder if anyone has any experience with this.

I had a van (UK usage - goods vehicle) hired from Hertz at LTN 5-6 weeks ago, to help move house do IKEA runs, etc, etc. Unfortunately, part-way through, I was involved in an accident. The accident was caused by a 3rd party (badly secured ladder on top of a pickup at 70mph - certainly had the adrenaline flowing) who drove off without exchanging details after learning how much damage he'd caused. As a result, the police are involved, as it's a "fail to stop". The van had its windscreen caved in and some significant dents in the pillars, so was undriveable.

I didn't buy CDW protection from Hertz, as I have annual cover (that will cover this) so I'm waiting for the damage statement to see how much I need to claim for. However, this is not forthcoming. Customer service are currently overwhelmed and won't take calls to chase existing cases. It took 2 weeks of chains of calls and messages to get the insurance documentation for the police 'producer', and I'm getting nowhere with this.

Does anyone have any experience of how this works and how long it takes? This is only the second time I've ever been involved in an accident, and the first in a hire car!
Old Nov 27, 18, 4:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ha! Talk about timing. I've just had an email from solicitors working on Hertz's behalf, who are attempting to recover the CDW excess costs, on my behalf, from the third party.
Auto Enthusiast and TWA884 like this.

Search this Thread