FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Consolidated "Renting at LHR; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1937467-consolidated-renting-lhr-what-kind-cars-expect-thread.html)

tris06 Oct 10, 2017 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 28883592)
If the Skoda was an Octavia, I'd be surprised to see that in Group X - it's usually a D or an F. Maybe a higher trim level might be in X...

If it was a Superb, then they are quite rare in the fleet but they are absolutely huge inside, and, while not any kind of upgrade, I'd take one over an X-Trail without hesitation. Technically, X-W might be an upgrade, but sometimes you've got to know when you're winning...

When I dropped the car off at LHR I asked if they had any Skoda Octavia. I asked what type of Skoda I was offered and they said probably an Octavia. So I am glad I went with the X trail even if it was still not much of an upgrade for what I paid for.

mnic Dec 23, 2017 12:48 pm

LHR. London Heathrow. Pres Circle.
Reserved: D - Midsize
Received: V - Nissan Qashqai Automatic

Cymro Feb 5, 2018 6:15 am

LHR
PC
Booked: C (Renault Captur)
Received: X (Skoda Superb). Only the 1.4 S base model (no cruise, no parking sensors) and it drives just like a Golf, but so much space for the money.

LHR
PC
Booked: B (Vauxhall Corsa)
Received: E (Audi A1 1.4 S Line Black Auto). Over £22k for a car that's smaller than a Fiesta. Harsh ride, not that quick, quite noisy, awkward sat nav interface. Not really enamoured with it but at £54 for a week, how on earth can I complain?

chanp Feb 22, 2018 12:29 pm

LHR
PC
Booked: C
Received: K, Nissan Qashqai

Think over the past 6 months or so, if I book C or D, I usually get the Qashqai

rcspeirs Jun 29, 2018 7:19 am

Hertz at LHR - Heathrow - Fleet + Gold Plus?

Hertz at LHR was utter chaos yesterday. No pre assignments for PC / Gold customers, join the queue at the Gold office - it took me 50 minutes to get to the front. Queue for non status customers was from here to eternity.
I did get a car (a very high mileage Civic) when I got to the front of the queue, but zero possibility of the supposedly guaranteed upgrade. Customers who needed an automatic were in deep trouble as they appeared to have no automatics left anywhere in the depot, they were waiting for customers to return anything automatic and rushing then through the wash. Lord knows how long the customers who can only drive automatic had to wait.
I realise that inventory management will never be perfect, but the mismatch yesterday between the number of customers with confirmed bookings versus the number of cars available was ludicrously out of balance.
(An aside. While I wasn't pleased to be assigned a Civic, it is much better than I expected, very comfortable, fast and frugal. Shame about the dreadful rear visibility - stupid split rear window)

puchalskir Jun 29, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm renting at T-3 tomorrow, they better have the automatic that I reserved.

As a gold member, flying in from the US, do I have to stop at the desk or can I go right to my car?

Thanks.
Rich

Dave Noble Jun 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir (Post 29920969)
I'm renting at T-3 tomorrow, they better have the automatic that I reserved.

As a gold member, flying in from the US, do I have to stop at the desk or can I go right to my car?

Thanks.
Rich

Unlike other UK airports there is no rental location at the airport terminal , but very tediously, you need to first take a bus to the Hertz Rental location. Normally, if a gold member, the vehicle bay should be displayed on a board and can go straight to a vehicle on arrival at the rental location

If it is out of cars , as per the report in 1st post, then there will be no bay indicated

puchalskir Jun 29, 2018 2:40 pm

Good to know. I’m fine with that. I hate when I have to wait in line when I have already reserved a car.
Hopefully there will be no issues.

rcspeirs Jun 30, 2018 1:23 am

If the system is working correctly, you'll get two emails about an hour before the rental starts. The first one is details if the car and what bay it is in - paperwork week be in the car. The bay number will also be shown on the video display screen on the shuttle bus.
The second email is the damage report, and if there is any existing damage, photos of that damage will be included in that email. Reminder that UK (all rental companies) are extremely strict on damage control. My high mileage Civic, the email included fifteen photos of small scrapes and dings.
Got luck with your pick up - this isn't the first time I've known Heathrow be hopelessly out of balance between number of bookings versus number of cars - though it was easily the worst example.

Yachtman Aug 30, 2018 3:58 am

Hertz at LHR - Heathrow - Fleet + Gold Plus?

Does anyone know what are the most common Group C vehicles at Heathrow? The website suggests Focus, Astra or Golf. Would any of these small cars fit two medium sized suitcases in the boot? Or even one medium sized and a couple of small hand carry cases? Is Apple CarPlay standard on most vehicles in this range now?

Is Hertz Gold Plus recognised?

UAPremExecflyer Aug 30, 2018 4:00 am

LHR
Premium automatic - Mercedes C-class or similar (G)
None
Yes - Mercedes E-class E220d w/sat nav (H)

Cymro Aug 30, 2018 10:28 am

Most common vehicles in C include plenty of hatchbacks and a couple of small SUVs:

Renault Captur - dreadful; noisy, gutless, cheap,
Vauxhall Mokka X - absolute pile of poo.

If these are your only options, the diesels are at least economical and quieter. Neither is especially refined or fast of course.

The proper cars are OK.

Vauxhall Astra - decent, can be a little slow depending on engine, mostly very good
SEAT Leon - excellent to drive, a little small in the boot. There are no Golfs, but this is the closest equivalent.
Ford Focus - reasonable but meh. No parking sensors.
Kia Cee'd - also reasonable.
Honda Civic - by far the best all-rounder in terms of equipment, space, performance, etc.

Most of those will have CarPlay - older Leons and Cee'ds may not, the Captur definitely won't. All Astras, Civics and Focuses will. If not, a UK SIM card and a mobile mount are cheap.

Some odd Toyotas (rare Aurises and C-HRs) and the competent but dated Skoda Rapid round out the fleet.

Two medium sized suitcases should be fine, but will be getting close to the limit (depends what you mean by medium sized). Hand luggage may need to go inside the car with you.

Gold Plus is recognised, but Gold Choice is not (despite the Gold Choice sign). So, as a gold member your car will be waiting in a numbered space, but you won't be able to swap it and upgrades are usually fairly limited. (You probably will get upgraded but into whatever is lying around - most often that means a fairly crappy small SUV).

Yachtman Aug 31, 2018 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 30148538)
Most common vehicles in C include plenty of hatchbacks and a couple of small SUVs:

Renault Captur - dreadful; noisy, gutless, cheap,
Vauxhall Mokka X - absolute pile of poo.

If these are your only options, the diesels are at least economical and quieter. Neither is especially refined or fast of course.

The proper cars are OK.

Vauxhall Astra - decent, can be a little slow depending on engine, mostly very good
SEAT Leon - excellent to drive, a little small in the boot. There are no Golfs, but this is the closest equivalent.
Ford Focus - reasonable but meh. No parking sensors.
Kia Cee'd - also reasonable.
Honda Civic - by far the best all-rounder in terms of equipment, space, performance, etc.

Most of those will have CarPlay - older Leons and Cee'ds may not, the Captur definitely won't. All Astras, Civics and Focuses will. If not, a UK SIM card and a mobile mount are cheap.

Some odd Toyotas (rare Aurises and C-HRs) and the competent but dated Skoda Rapid round out the fleet.

Two medium sized suitcases should be fine, but will be getting close to the limit (depends what you mean by medium sized). Hand luggage may need to go inside the car with you.

Gold Plus is recognised, but Gold Choice is not (despite the Gold Choice sign). So, as a gold member your car will be waiting in a numbered space, but you won't be able to swap it and upgrades are usually fairly limited. (You probably will get upgraded but into whatever is lying around - most often that means a fairly crappy small SUV).

@Cymro Thanks so much for the really detailed reply, it covers everything. Do you still have to queue as a Gold Plus for paperwork or is there a seperate desk?

Dave Noble Aug 31, 2018 12:53 am

At Heathrow, assuming your name and bay are displayed, you can go straight to the car and deal with licence check at the exit barrier

The worst thing about Heathrow is having to take a bus from the airport terminal to the Hertz office and that there is no cars at the terminals themselves

OverTheHorizon Oct 26, 2018 2:24 am

Gold Choice at LHR... what a pathetic offering !

As a PC having recently had a couple of excellent experiences with Ultimate Choice in the USA, and with a compact booked for pick-up at LHR, I thought I would check our the Gold Choice section there this morning. And, wow!, there was a Maserati parked in one of the bays ! Surely it couldn't possibly be available ?

Nope, that dream died the second I toddled into the Gold Office: "it doesn't work the same here as in America - you can swap to another car in the same class but if you want anything better you'll have to pay..." So basically, it's the same offer as it's always been ?

I know they are 2 different markets but really, using the word "Choice" in the UK version is bordering on false advertising :O