Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LHR; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at LHR; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Apr 21, 2024, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by E14 26C
Well I can pull the London City Terms, should be the same for LHR

https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/res...EL&EOAG=LCYT53

Short-term rentals (i.e. not multi-month)
  • NETWORK CHARGING STATIONS - You can access these Charging Stations using the Hertz key fob or key card provided. Our Network Charging Stations means Shell Recharge Charging Stations and, if you are renting a Tesla, also Tesla Supercharger stations.
  • END OF RENTAL RECHARGE - Hertz will record the vehicle battery charge at the start of the rental. We ask you to return the vehicle with at least the same level of charge or 75%, (whichever is lower). If you return the vehicle with a level of charge lower than this we will recharge it for you at the rate of 1,27 (including tax) per missing kWh.
    • If you return the vehicle with 20% or less battery charge then we will also charge an Administration Fee of 22.68 because this increases our turn around times and involves staff time.
  • IDLE FEES/PARKING CHARGES - Please be aware that if you fail to move the vehicle at the end of your charging session then idle fees may apply and we will pass these on to you. Parking charges may also apply at charging stations and you are responsible for these. Please check the T&Cs at each charging station before use.
  • OTHER - Third party/non network charging stations are excluded. If you choose to use these then third party fees apply.
See the Electric Vehicle Terms for full T&Cs.
Thanks, good to know, it's not outrageous if time gets tight, otherwise looks like I'm going to have to seek out a rapid charger nearish Heathrow.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:35 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I found the MER app which seems to allow more reasonable charging rates, woth our route I should only have to charge once, ao shouldn't be too bad.
That's a good tip.

With the non-Tesla EVs at LHR, you get a Shell Recharge fob. It works fine at thousands of fast chargers, but the price per kw is very high... roughly equivalent per km to fuelling a fossil car with premium unleaded. Next time I'll try to use my own fast charger plan to save a bit.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
That's a good tip.

With the non-Tesla EVs at LHR, you get a Shell Recharge fob. It works fine at thousands of fast chargers, but the price per kw is very high... roughly equivalent per km to fuelling a fossil car with premium unleaded. Next time I'll try to use my own fast charger plan to save a bit.
Use Tesla Superchargers if available. Nearly half the price. Just need tesla app
Old May 2, 2024, 2:49 pm

After several successful Polestar 2 rentals from LHR, I can see that there's now the option for for "Economy Elite (B1) Vauxhall Corsa-e or similar" - a new, smaller class of EV.

Has anyone rented from this class at LHR, and if so what make and model did you receive?
9PM on the Thursday night before a Bank Holiday Weekend, apparently it has been a busy day. My reservation got me exactly what it promised, a Vauxhall (Opel) e-Corsa. The agent sweet-talked me into upgrading to a Polestar. Elsewhere on the lot, 7 brand new Toyota BZ4X EV crossovers had just been delivered. Not tempted. Saw a couple of BYD Atto as well, but these weren't offered to me.

Toyota BZ4X, Vauxhall eCorsa & Polestar 2.

Vauxhall eCorsa, Toyota BZ4X
Old May 2, 2024, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
No more Teslas?

Anyone know if Hertz UK have sold off all their Teslas in recent weeks? When I was there a month ago I booked a model 3 (unusually it was cheaper than the Polstar this time), and there were model Y available, but now they all seem to have disappeared off the booking engine.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:47 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
Anyone know if Hertz UK have sold off all their Teslas in recent weeks? When I was there a month ago I booked a model 3 (unusually it was cheaper than the Polstar this time), and there were model Y available, but now they all seem to have disappeared off the booking engine.
I'd like to know this too.. I reserved a Model Y couple months back which was slightly more expensive than the polestar.. wouldnt be happy if they just gave me a polestar without a refund of some sort...
Old May 3, 2024, 1:30 pm

Its purely anecdotal, but on the last two visits to LHR the Polestars vastly outnumbered the Teslas. No idea why, but I read elsewhere on this forum that (in the USA) routine repairs just take longer than legacy manufacturers. Maybe its the same in the UK. Maybe theyve been sold or maybe theyre still waiting for body panels after rental sinks and dents.
clubman likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by salehir
I'd like to know this too.. I reserved a Model Y couple months back which was slightly more expensive than the polestar.. wouldnt be happy if they just gave me a polestar without a refund of some sort...
Same here. got a Y booked for later in the year, which is no longer bookable when pricing up the same dates, so I'm wondering what I might end up with...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:53 am

Same here. got a Y booked for later in the year, which is no longer bookable when pricing up the same dates, so I'm wondering what I might end up with...
Returning my Polestar 2 today, I saw more Toyota BZ4X and some Vauxhall Mokkas in the aisles: they might be in the same size category as a Model Y.

There was also an ever larger number of BYD Atto stacked up around the perimeter of the compound, i.e. not in the aisles and ready to rent, but maybe combing soon.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by SBYGUY
Use Tesla Superchargers if available. Nearly half the price. Just need tesla app
Just a warning: the two Superchargers nearest to LHR which are open to all EVs are both in hotel car parks with mandatory parking fees.

"Heathrow, UK - Terminals 2 & 3" (on Bath Road, A4) is in the car park of the Renaissance London Heathrow (5 parking fee) and "Heathrow, UK - Terminal 5" (in Poyle) is in the car park of the Hilton London Heathrow T5 (6 parking fee). Even at off-peak charging rates that might tip the balance back towards the Shell Recharge network.

My preferred Shell Recharge station near Heathrow is at the Esso Sheppiston Lane UB3 1LL, just off junction 4 of the M4 north of Heathrow. There's a Starbucks, Greggs, Sbarro and Subway, and usually plenty of space. 5 minutes drive back to Hertz.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Returning my Polestar 2 today, I saw more Toyota BZ4X and some Vauxhall Mokkas in the aisles: they might be in the same size category as a Model Y.

There was also an ever larger number of BYD Atto stacked up around the perimeter of the compound, i.e. not in the aisles and ready to rent, but maybe combing soon.
I know it doesn't always work this way with car rental firms, and I've yet to fully understand how they categorise different cars into the same group sometimes. But I have to say that while the Toyota might be considered acceptable as an alternative to the Model Y, the Mokka and the Atto most certainly are not. They're considerably smaller.
Old May 6, 2024, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I fear this is the case. Have been renting M3's and MY's with regularity from LHR over the past 2/3 years, but now, I have a Model Y reservation at LHR two weeks from now, and it has entirely disappeared from my account.

No trace of it all, and running the confirmation number through the reservation lookup shows it's been canceled. No emails from Hertz, and have had conflicting information on X support and on three different phone calls. Some staff saying the reservation was cancelled because the car type isn't available any more, others saying "there is nothing to worry about." I guess we'll find out when we arrive - but knowing how much of a mess Hertz @ LHR can be, even for PC members - I've just gone ahead and booked a Polestar 2 just in case.

Will report back..
Old May 7, 2024, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glmg21
Will report back..
Thanks.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Just a warning: the two Superchargers nearest to LHR which are open to all EVs are both in hotel car parks with mandatory parking fees.

"Heathrow, UK - Terminals 2 & 3" (on Bath Road, A4) is in the car park of the Renaissance London Heathrow (5 parking fee) and "Heathrow, UK - Terminal 5" (in Poyle) is in the car park of the Hilton London Heathrow T5 (6 parking fee). Even at off-peak charging rates that might tip the balance back towards the Shell Recharge network.

My preferred Shell Recharge station near Heathrow is at the Esso Sheppiston Lane UB3 1LL, just off junction 4 of the M4 north of Heathrow. There's a Starbucks, Greggs, Sbarro and Subway, and usually plenty of space. 5 minutes drive back to Hertz.
Wish I knew about this a week and a half ago. The Shell just off the M4 between West Drayton and Harmondsworth had seemingly non-functional chargers. 1 had a sign that it was broken, but the others seem to not accept payment via the Shell fob that Hertz gives you or NFC credit card (the Shell Recharge app is equally useless since you have to load in set blocks at once, not pay per actual use). So I got charged 2 fees on return, one for the missing charge, one for a "rate adjustment" whatever that means. I complained that the key fob didn't work and they agreed to remove the recharge fee at the counter but both charges hit my credit card anyway. I'm currently waiting for Hertz to reply about that. I still have no idea what the 'rate adjustment' was, nor did I notice it at the counter when I was complaining about their key fob not working at the Shell charger.

Basically I got overcharged 18.98 for that mystery fee plus an exactly equal 18.98 for the missing electricity. Not impressed and wouldn't rent an EV from them again now. Unless CS rectifies this, I've been charged about double of what I should have been. (The charging at the Shell would have been about 10 if it had worked so not entirely double but still irritated that the manager said they took off the charge but still hit my credit card and the mystery rate adjustment fee)
Old May 24, 2024, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by glmg21
I fear this is the case. Have been renting M3's and MY's with regularity from LHR over the past 2/3 years, but now, I have a Model Y reservation at LHR two weeks from now, and it has entirely disappeared from my account.

No trace of it all, and running the confirmation number through the reservation lookup shows it's been canceled. No emails from Hertz, and have had conflicting information on X support and on three different phone calls. Some staff saying the reservation was cancelled because the car type isn't available any more, others saying "there is nothing to worry about." I guess we'll find out when we arrive - but knowing how much of a mess Hertz @ LHR can be, even for PC members - I've just gone ahead and booked a Polestar 2 just in case.

Will report back..
no more Model Ys on the fleet, and probably only saw 2/3 Model 3s in the bays. Globally, Hertz are selling off (at least portions of) their Tesla fleet to cut costs, so I suspect that is the reason behind the changes at LHR.

In any event, the location had no trace of my Model Y reservation, so be sure to check yours now and make alternative arrangements. I accordingly relied on my backup reservation for a Polestar 2, which I was given, but I requested something bigger that would align with the Model Y I had initially requested. The gold booth offered me a brand new BZ4X, which despite being inferior to a MY or Polestar 2 by way of comfort, luxury, and tech features, was largely comparable in size to a Y. No frunk though, and a comically large charging cable bag.

Ordinarily Id be disappointed by the relative downgrade in premium quality from the Y, but I really need the cargo space this trip, and it was the only EV upgrade available versus additional $$$$ for a Xc90 or Range Rover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.