Wiki Posts
Search

One way drop off fee issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

One way drop off fee issue

Hi all,

I rented a car from Hertz in NYC a week and a half ago, and I'm returning it to their Austin, TX branch later this week.

When I placed the order I was told that I will be charged $500+tax for a one way drop off fee, but the car I got has California plates, so I'm actually returning the car most of the way back to its home branch, and paying around $600 dollars for it.

It doesn't seem right to me, and I believe I should at least get a discount on the drop off fee.

Is this possible in your opinion? If so, how should I approach this?

Hope you can assist,
Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: National Exec, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, TR Diamond
Originally Posted by zivg
Hi all,

I rented a car from Hertz in NYC a week and a half ago, and I'm returning it to their Austin, TX branch later this week.

When I placed the order I was told that I will be charged $500+tax for a one way drop off fee, but the car I got has California plates, so I'm actually returning the car most of the way back to its home branch, and paying around $600 dollars for it.

It doesn't seem right to me, and I believe I should at least get a discount on the drop off fee.

Is this possible in your opinion? If so, how should I approach this?

Hope you can assist,
Thanks!
No, they don’t care if it goes back to the home location. They just put new plates on it depending on where it’s located when they expire.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If the car you'd been given had Maine plates on it would you have been happy for them to have charged you more? After all, you'd have been moving it further away from it's "home" than if you'd got a NY plated vehicle!

Hertz prices and drop fees vary depending on where they want cars moved within their network. If they had wanted cars moved from NYC to Austin, then there likely would have been no drop fee. The fact they charged a drop fee potentially means they will end up putting a car back on a truck and shipping it from Austin back to NYC to make up for your rental. That may or may not be the same car you actually rented, but it doesn't change anything - what matters is not the individual vehicles being moved around (and whether they have CA, NY or TX plates on them), but the numbers moving in each direction.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Makes sense

Originally Posted by docbert
If the car you'd been given had Maine plates on it would you have been happy for them to have charged you more? After all, you'd have been moving it further away from it's "home" than if you'd got a NY plated vehicle!

Hertz prices and drop fees vary depending on where they want cars moved within their network. If they had wanted cars moved from NYC to Austin, then there likely would have been no drop fee. The fact they charged a drop fee potentially means they will end up putting a car back on a truck and shipping it from Austin back to NYC to make up for your rental. That may or may not be the same car you actually rented, but it doesn't change anything - what matters is not the individual vehicles being moved around (and whether they have CA, NY or TX plates on them), but the numbers moving in each direction.
Oh well.
Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA MM
Yes, like the time I rented in Tuscon and noted that the car had Florida plates but 140 miles on the odometer
m907, Auto Enthusiast and jackal like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.