Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Success rate with "Reserve this exact model"

Old Sep 23, 18, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓

Back in May in Sacramento, as usual Hertz didn't have the "rent this exact model" Mustang I reserved, so I ended up in a Dodge Challenger 6.4 V8 Super bee / Scat pack (something like that). It cost me $25/day extra.The exact same model this guy rented/blogged about.

I couldn't figure out what category of rental it is, and I don't see it on the wiki here. It appears to be a higher model than the standard Adrenaline Collection version (5.4 V8). Anyone know where this fits in Hertz fleet?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 2, 18 at 5:30 am Reason: posts from "Hertz Fleet" thread split out and merged into separate thread started by the OP
Old Sep 24, 18, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
Back in May in Sacramento, as usual Hertz didn't have the "rent this exact model" Mustang I reserved, so I ended up in a Dodge Challenger 6.4 V8 Super bee / Scat pack (something like that). It cost me $25/day extra.The exact same model this guy rented/blogged about.

I couldn't figure out what category of rental it is, and I don't see it on the wiki here. It appears to be a higher model than the standard Adrenaline Collection version (5.4 V8). Anyone know where this fits in Hertz fleet?
It's classed as the same standard challenger RT (V4)
But they are already phasing them out in the fleet most of them should be gone by October.
Old Sep 24, 18, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LJ7006 View Post
It's classed as the same standard challenger RT (V4)
But they are already phasing them out in the fleet most of them should be gone by October.
Thanks for the info. Had I been more knowledgeable at the time, I probably should have pushed to get that without being charged an "upgrade" from what I paid for the Mustang GT. Since they didn't have the Mustang GT I reserved, they tried to fob me off with an Infinity something. Then I noticed the Challenger. They said it'd be $25 more a day, but in hindsight I think they shouldn't have charged me since they didnt have my "reserve this exact model"....again. I have yet to successfully rent the Mustang GT.

As an aside, I have a reservation this weekend in DEN for a "reserve exact model" Challenger (no Mustang GT offered when booking), so we will see if they have that....or yet again try to give me an Infinity. At least this time I'm better educated, and have printed out this wiki to refer to if they try any funny business.
Old Sep 28, 18, 1:49 pm

Good luck man. it happens. I rented a Challenger RT and they wouldn't let me have one of the available Scat Packs, teling me it was another upgrade class of $128/day extra and all kinds of BS like that the Scat Pack has "10 horsepower" vs the RT with "8 horsepower" so therefore it's a higher class vehicle. Was she talking about # of transmission speeds? lol

I got a Mustang GT Convertible when they didn't have a Camaro SS convertible I rented. Similar but I really wanted to try the Camaro SS, and seems like it's hard to find these days as well.

Thanks for the info. Had I been more knowledgeable at the time, I probably should have pushed to get that without being charged an "upgrade" from what I paid for the Mustang GT. Since they didn't have the Mustang GT I reserved, they tried to fob me off with an Infinity something. Then I noticed the Challenger. They said it'd be $25 more a day, but in hindsight I think they shouldn't have charged me since they didnt have my "reserve this exact model"....again. I have yet to successfully rent the Mustang GT.

As an aside, I have a reservation this weekend in DEN for a "reserve exact model" Challenger (no Mustang GT offered when booking), so we will see if they have that....or yet again try to give me an Infinity. At least this time I'm better educated, and have printed out this wiki to refer to if they try any funny business.
Old Sep 30, 18, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glostix View Post
Good luck man. it happens. I rented a Challenger RT and they wouldn't let me have one of the available Scat Packs, teling me it was another upgrade class of $128/day extra and all kinds of BS like that the Scat Pack has "10 horsepower" vs the RT with "8 horsepower" so therefore it's a higher class vehicle. Was she talking about # of transmission speeds? lol

I got a Mustang GT Convertible when they didn't have a Camaro SS convertible I rented. Similar but I really wanted to try the Camaro SS, and seems like it's hard to find these days as well.
Surprise! They totally screwed it up. I showed up - my name wasnt on the board. Lined up for 15 mins. Agent suggested they may have a challenger ready in 20 mins but wasnt confident. Tried to fob me off with a lower model V6 Camero...all she knew was "it's red". Next she asked if I wanted a convertible Mustang sitting in view next to the office. I asked if it's a Mustang GT, she said "no idea, its silver and convertible" (stating the obvious). I took a closer look, and no it was a standard Mustang. So I opted to wait for my reserved V8 Challenger to be available. Waited 40 mins then went back to check on its progress. Agent was confused- short story is they didnt have one (they previously said they had one being cleaned). I agreed to take a V6 CHALLENGER with a free tank of gas (to somewhat balance that that is a downgrade). So I go to the numbered stall and the car is a CHARGER, and theres a piece of trim/body part hanging down from the chassis.

I went back to the office and took the convertible Mustang just to get out of there. Already wasted 90 mins. They called me an hour later to say a V8 Challenger was now available but I declined (didnt have time to go back).

Aside from my experience, the whole place was a disaster. Bus load after bus load of people arriving, with everyone having to line up for at least 30 mins. The agents were utterly clueless about the cars they were renting out - so many simple questions unable to be answered. Avoid DEN Hertz!

At what point does Hertz's "reserve this exact model" become blatant false advertising? I know theres small print warning it may not be available, but it seems they are overselling like crazy. Maybe I'm just getting unlucky? I've yet to get the model I have reserved in multiple attempts at trying.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Sep 30, 18 at 6:53 am
Old Sep 30, 18, 6:57 am
Original Poster

What is your success rate with "Reserve this exact model" rentals from Hertz? For example, cars from their "Adrenaline Collection".

I am 0 for 6. And each time there has been a varying degree of messing around getting an alternative, with a good dose of agents trying to fob me off with a downgrade without making it clear (eg try to give me a V6 Mustang when I'd paid for a V8 Mustang GT).

I'm curious to know of others experiences.
Old Sep 30, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Why does every story always end up starting with 'they tried to get me to take a V6 base model'? Is this seriously how Hertz trains to deal with this? They should be saying "Sorry we don't have that. I can upgrade you to this AMG" or something like that. Not offering to downgrade... it's really sad.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 30, 18, 5:41 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
What is your success rate with "Reserve this exact model" rentals from Hertz? For example, cars from their "Adrenaline Collection".

I am 0 for 6. And each time there has been a varying degree of messing around getting an alternative, with a good dose of agents trying to fob me off with a downgrade without making it clear (eg try to give me a V6 Mustang when I'd paid for a V8 Mustang GT).

I'm curious to know of others experiences.
0-6?? Damn, this is disappointing to read, and I came here to ask about this situation. Price drop for renting this week in FLL, and I have reserved the Dodge Challenger R/T (Adrenaline Collection - model guaranteed) for a few days.

I was told by a friend ages ago to always reserve a 2nd car when reserving an Adrenaline Collection car. Basically to have a back up of price if they end up putting you in a lower class of car and are trying to get away without some sort of a deal. I have also reserved a full size car for $60 less than the Dodge

Hopefully Ill be driving away in what I want! I will report back on Tuesday
Old Sep 30, 18, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Having a backup rental sounds like a good strategy. I never thought of that. Do report back. Good luck!
Old Oct 1, 18, 5:15 am

Programs: National Exec, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, TR Diamond
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
0-6?? Damn, this is disappointing to read, and I came here to ask about this situation. Price drop for renting this week in FLL, and I have reserved the Dodge Challenger R/T (Adrenaline Collection - model guaranteed) for a few days.

I was told by a friend ages ago to always reserve a 2nd car when reserving an Adrenaline Collection car. Basically to have a back up of price if they end up putting you in a lower class of car and are trying to get away without some sort of a deal. I have also reserved a full size car for $60 less than the Dodge

Hopefully Ill be driving away in what I want! I will report back on Tuesday
I am also renting in FLL in two weeks. Why not reserve a standard or intermediate if it is less? I know the full is a few dollars more than standard on my reservation. I didnít see that it mattered since the selection is the same aisle. First time at Hertz due to recent PC so I just want to make sure Iím understanding.

How can they advertise guaranteed make/model and not provide it? Thatís odd.
Old Oct 1, 18, 6:50 am

Programs: NW GE
Timely thread, just had a very unpleasant experience at Hertz ATL with this exact issue.

Had reserved a Challenger R/T (class V4) for the weekend. Arrive ATL @ 2315 for my 2300 reservation, no name on board, no carfirmation.

Go to Gold Desk, unhelpful agent states no V4 available, offered me a Jeep Wrangler for same price -- no thanks. Said I'd be happy to take an upgrade to anything else sporty, noted that there were 2 C63 AMGs sitting right outside the booth, as well as a Range Rover and one of the Corvettes. He said they were all "unavailable" even for PC member with adrenaline collection res. Also note a challenger hiding in the back of the lot but they claim they can't find the keys for that one.

Then said he could give me a Dodge Charger R/T and that it was "the same class of car". Went and looked at it, asked to see keyfob to see class tag, and he refused. Eventually relented and of course it was tagged F6 -- again, no thanks. Frustrated being lied to so told him I'd like to speak to manager, waited in line inside for 30 minutes and nobody could find the manager on duty. By this point its 12:15AM and I have a 1.5 hour drive ahead of me. Agent offers $50 off to take whatever from the PC aisle. I don't see any end in sight so I agree under duress. Walk out and all thats in PC is small cars and crossovers, all with 25-35k miles and plenty of dings, scratches etc. Eventually someone pulls a nearly new Dodge 1500 crew cab in and because it has 1000 miles, I take it.

And the kicker: pulling up to the exit gate what is ahead of me but a freshly washed Dodge Challenger R/T. When I get to gate agent asks how its going and I say well I'm driving this but I had reserved that and he told me that the person taking out the Challenger was a Hertz ATL manager! Unbelievable.

tl/dr: Arrive on time for res made months ago, no car, offered (lied to) multiple downgrades, refused upgrade to anything sporty, given $50 which is less than the cost difference between my V4 res and what I could have gotten a I/F car for using corporate discount and ended up in same situation AND a hertz manager checked out the special class car I had reserved despite being unable to fill my reservation.

Contacted Hertz via Twitter, they say ATL management will reach out to me but I'm not holding my breath. Will definitely keep a backup I/F res in the future when renting special vehicles. Completely ridiculous that they don't have a system for dealing with this.
Old Oct 1, 18, 7:22 am

Programs: Hertz , Delta, SPG
Interesting, I've rented a lot from ATL... it's the worst Hertz for stock and service.
Old Oct 1, 18, 10:51 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by xfire22 View Post
Why not reserve a standard or intermediate if it is less? I know the full is a few dollars more than standard on my reservation. I didnít see that it mattered since the selection is the same aisle.
The longrunning Gold Member promo code found in the wiki is for Full Size+ cars (F and above). The intermediate (without code) vs full (with code) works out to be about $18 cheaper in favor of the full - I would still be picking from the same aisle as you said. However, in the rate circumstances where the aisle is empty, or something similar, I at least have a full sized car booked

Originally Posted by Lyaec350 View Post
Then said he could give me a Dodge Charger R/T and that it was "the same class of car"
Yea the Charger is in the same class as the Altima (F/F6). Very comfortable to drive, but clearly not the same class as the Challenger R/T

They are still advertising the Challenger R/T out of FLL now for tomorrow, which has come down another $33 since reserving it yesterday - clearly rebooked it at the newer, lower, price
Old Oct 1, 18, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This summer I booked a "luxury clas" (exact model was supposed to be a Mercedes C class, which was about the same price as an intermediate car) car and when I arrived, they first tried to send me to the PC choice aisle. I refused and then had to wait a very long time, over an hour, for a luxury car (but not a Benz, as they said that there were one, even though one was parked right outside the Gold counter office in the garage. I was exactly on time for my reservation. They gave me a car with mechanical problems, so two days later I had to return it and the same thing happened. They had sent their own tow truck to get me and the dead car--they refused to deliver a replacement car to me--and despite knowing exactly when I would be arriving and where I was at all times, again there was no car and I had to wait a long time for the same type of car, all while watching the beautiful clean Mercedes of the type I booked parked right in front of me.
Old Oct 2, 18, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by qruz View Post
Interesting, I've rented a lot from ATL... it's the worst Hertz for stock and service.
DCA is definitely up there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: