Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Success rate with "Reserve this exact model"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Success rate with "Reserve this exact model"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
FWIW I’m 1 for 2. First was a Camaro SS convertible (Adrenaline Collection) at LAS in Jun. 2016 which was only $330 for the week. I had a backup reservation in case it was a mistake but didn’t need it.

Second was a Tesla Model S (Dream Cars) at ATL in Nov. 2016 which was $149 for the day. The car was on the lot but hadn’t been charged (not sure if someone forgot to plug it in or the plug just wasn’t seated), but the agent had overheard me pointing out a Porsche Boxster to my wife on the way in and offered me that. (It was normally $249 a day.) So all in all I’m pretty happy with how it’s turned out so far. Sorry to hear if the ATL location has taken a dive since then as I was planning to come back.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
0-6?? Damn, this is disappointing to read, and I came here to ask about this situation. Price drop for renting this week in FLL, and I have reserved the Dodge Challenger R/T (Adrenaline Collection - model guaranteed) for a few days.

I was told by a friend ages ago to always reserve a 2nd car when reserving an Adrenaline Collection car. Basically to have a back up of price if they end up putting you in a lower class of car and are trying to get away without some sort of a deal. I have also reserved a full size car for $60 less than the Dodge

Hopefully Ill be driving away in what I want! I will report back on Tuesday
Update:

Arrived into FLL today and my name was on the board twice. Off to a good start. Could go right to 5* aisle to pick any car from there, or go to slot #77 . Went to #77 and there was a pristine white R/T in there. Check the clock, 440 miles, and the keys, V4 (class) 2019!

There must have been an abundance of R/Ts around, as the slot opposite mine was also an R/T, However it had 6,600 miles on the clocked when I had a quick look, so guessing its not new

There was another R/T being parked in a pickup slot by an employee as we were getting into our car to leave

Checked out with no issue, $183 for the 5 day rental as expected

tbf, I have never had any issue with Hertz. I use them as I love the convenience of being able to jump into a car and drive out without the need the talk to anyone (bar handing my license to the person at the gate and declining pre-paying for gas). I generally get a very good deal with them (and continually check the rates and update bookings), so while a couple of other companies might be lower, there might also be hassle too. And its linked to my Amex Plat, so insurance and discounts are just dealt with automatically
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by qruz
Interesting, I've rented a lot from ATL... it's the worst Hertz for stock and service.
I've had good luck at ATL. My home airport. I've done a lot of local rentals. Just had my choice of 3 Infiniti Q50s, couple V8 challengers and a 300s. Also Explorers and others. Last time same deal.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
The longrunning Gold Member promo code found in the wiki is for Full Size+ cars (F and above). The intermediate (without code) vs full (with code) works out to be about $18 cheaper in favor of the full - I would still be picking from the same aisle as you said. However, in the rate circumstances where the aisle is empty, or something similar, I at least have a full sized car booked

Yea the Charger is in the same class as the Altima (F/F6). Very comfortable to drive, but clearly not the same class as the Challenger R/T

They are still advertising the Challenger R/T out of FLL now for tomorrow, which has come down another $33 since reserving it yesterday - clearly rebooked it at the newer, lower, price
What's the promo code?
klanfa likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:10 am

I'll start off by saying i'm not *5 or PC but I rent regularly through most of the top companies. I reserved a GLC/Evoque (H4) in mid-July for a weekend trip in FLL. Came up to the counter to complete my reservation and the veteran rep (been there so long she was done going back and forth with customers) politely informed me that H4s go pretty quick thus there were none left. She asked me what I would like and I said I was interested in a Mercedes Benz. She smirked and hit speed dial to get in touch with her manager to explain to her there were no more H4s available. She hung up with the manager and assigned me to a brand new GL450 (S6) as a free upgrade. That is how you get repeat customers.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by FLLRenter; Oct 3, 2018 at 1:11 am Reason: more info
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FLLRenter
I'll start off by saying i'm not *5 or PC but I rent regularly through most of the top companies. I reserved a GLC/Evoque (H4) in mid-July for a weekend trip in FLL. Came up to the counter to complete my reservation and the veteran rep (been there so long she was done going back and forth with customers) politely informed me that H4s go pretty quick thus there were none left. She asked me what I would like and I said I was interested in a Mercedes Benz. She smirked and hit speed dial to get in touch with her manager to explain to her there were no more H4s available. She hung up with the manager and assigned me to a brand new GL450 (S6) as a free upgrade. That is how you get repeat customers.
how long ago was this? I’d be very surprised if they are renting a MY15 vehicle in the end of 2018.

Anyway, nice upgrade.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:12 am

My apologies, it was a 2018 GLS450. This was mid july 2018.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FLLRenter
Sorry, that is not how you get repeat customers. You get repeat customers by offering them what they pay (usually extra) for.

I'm 0/1 at YYZ. Reserved a Prius, they gave me an SUV. Wouldn't give me an Alfa Romeo or Volvo they had when I asked. After an hour they sent me to Dollar who had a (much older) Prius C.

This thread is infuriating. "Yeah, we had them but they're gone" - then don't let me reserve one if you're going to give them away. Either hold it or don't let me reserve it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
Sorry, that is not how you get repeat customers. You get repeat customers by offering them what they pay (usually extra) for.

I'm 0/1 at YYZ. Reserved a Prius, they gave me an SUV. Wouldn't give me an Alfa Romeo or Volvo they had when I asked. After an hour they sent me to Dollar who had a (much older) Prius C.

This thread is infuriating. "Yeah, we had them but they're gone" - then don't let me reserve one if you're going to give them away. Either hold it or don't let me reserve it.
I disagree. Things happen. They could have 3-5 vehicles in a class like that. What if they all reserved but one and someone crashes the one due to be returned? Or they decide to keep it longer. Or it gets a flat tire. Or whatever. You seem to think that they are renting cars with a 1-2 day buffer on it being ready. They aren't.

Sure having it be there is the way it should be. Handling PROBLEMS on special reservations is how you keep loyalty and build trust in the brand. Upgrading them or offering a nicer vehicle that fits needs is how you do that. It's a car rental company. They can do their best to guarantee a car but things CAN happen.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BThumme

YYZ customer service is atrocious to begin with, but if you want a fuel efficient hybrid I can’t possibly see them giving you a sports car (they seem to give everyone a Q4 class SUV if they don’t have their reserved class in stock).
Old May 12, 2020, 2:53 pm

I had a terrible experience at BOS with agents trying to "upsell" me into the class of SUV that i reserved. Like pulling teeth because they don't know anything about their own job.

LAX i have had nothing but great experiences with Hertz. BOS/NYC/NJ terrible attitudes for miles and incorrect information or just plain lying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.