Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Escalade Trim / Jeep with Soft Top

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Escalade Trim / Jeep with Soft Top

Hey Guys, I am new to this forum but browsing all topics here I got the impression that this is a brainpool of rental car knowledge. So I decided to ask you Pros a couple of questions, someone may know the answer.

Our anual vacation in southern Florida is coming up, and we are kind of a car family and with that said we made a couple of reservations to fun up the holidays. The family drive is a reservation for an Escalade/Navigator Prestige Type.

And here´s my first (and second) question, since when does Prestige Cars have the "or similar" sticker on it, and what can expected to be similar to Escalade or Navigator SUVs (which both would be acceptable drives for the family) ? The years before, when you selected a Prestige car, model was exact that. Next thing you guys may know the answer, we are travelling family of 5 (I know Suburbans and things may be larger, but it will fit with the Escalade, prooven that ;-)), does the Cadillac or the Navigator come with a second or third row entertainment system (whether inseat or roof mounted) to keep the kids at least for the longer drive to the home amused ? In other words what trim can be expected, basic or luxury or prem. luxury, most certainly not platinum ;-) By the way this Car will be rented of MIA.

The first addition to the family rental is planned to be a Wrangler out of RSW. Is this Wrangler that Hertz is renting always a hard top variant, we would really like to go for the foldable softtop option, which we had years ago renting in Arizona.

The more sportier thing with what we will spice up our vacation with will be a Porsche 911 also of RSW to replace the Jeep ;-) Do you guys happen to know what Porsches 911 Hertz might give to the customers (Carreras, 4S, Turbos, Targas etc.) ?

And in the last couple of days, we opted to one of most family friendly machines there most probably are, it will be the 100th anniversary Corvette Z06, to which I really do not have a question what so ever, but really looking forward to drive the most ;-) before our flight will take us back home.

Guys, thanks for your answers in advance
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:38 am

The Escalades I've seen were luxury trim. I've never seen a rental car with rear seat entertainment.

Also all the Wranglers I've seen were hardtop. You can take out the top section above the front seats quite easily.

The recent 911's I've seen were regular MK2(facelift) 991's. A couple with sport exhaust and coupe and convertible.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cpta320cib
And here´s my first (and second) question, since when does Prestige Cars have the "or similar" sticker on it, and what can expected to be similar to Escalade or Navigator SUVs (which both would be acceptable drives for the family) ?
I don't know if they have them in MIA but I could imagine being offered an Infinit QX80.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Wow your are fast ! Those QX80 are awesome cars, we had a couple of them in previous years (all of them came with rear seat entertain, maybe just pure luck, but had also a Suburban - NY State Plate - once with rear entertain, that was definitely pure luck, we know), but I would really a bit disappointed, cause I could have made reservation for the QX80 (again or similar) for 500 bucks less (3 weeks rental).

Removable Section sounds not to bad, soft top would still be more adventureous ;-)

They do have 911 convertibles ? Nice.

Keep going, makes us feel even more looking forward to the vacation ;-)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
If you’re used to the full-size SUV for the kids, then I’m not sure they’ll be comfortable in the back of a Wrangler - even the 4-door is pretty tight on both legroom and width. And forget about stuffing them in the vestigial rear seats of a 911. As for the trim, all the rental 911s I’ve seen have been base engine, RWD with the PDK transmission.

FWIW, I’m a car guy myself, and I love this part of the vacation planning. I’m arriving in Denver by Amtrak this weekend, but I booked our rental from the airport so we can try out Ultimate Choice - just hope they have anything left by Sunday morning since it’s a holiday.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Completely agree. The Porsche and the Corvette are the parents fun. You might also be right on the Wrangler, but that is something the kids wanted to try and that’s why they hoped for the soft roof type.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
If you’re going to have the wrangler for any extended time and it’s not going to rain, just buy a T40 (I believe) Torx screwdriver to remove the hardtop. This is what we did in Sedona a few years ago. The top is not that difficult to remove, put back on.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by cpta320cib
Completely agree. The Porsche and the Corvette are the parents fun. You might also be right on the Wrangler, but that is something the kids wanted to try and that’s why they hoped for the soft roof type.
Ah, got it. I had a Jeep for a while, and it was a lot of fun. I had both tops (soft top for the summer and hard top for the winter). As mentioned above, you can take the full hard top off with T40 torx keys, but you’d need somewhere secure to store it. And a second pair of arms helps - it’s a heavy beast, and I just had the 2-door.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by maarten22
The Escalades I've seen were luxury trim. I've never seen a rental car with rear seat entertainment.
I see it once in awhile. I saw a Hertz Chrysler Pacifica with headrest mounted screens recently. And a big SUV (Suburban maybe?) too.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Sedona brings a lot of good Memories to us, that’s where we were going places with the Wrangler as well ;-) Torx is the magic word I liked to hear in your answers, perfect guys, we should exactly do that.

I knew why I joined this forum. Have a great weekend
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.