FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   How to get removed from DNR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1927254-how-get-removed-dnr.html)

ShinyO Aug 25, 2018 1:49 pm

How to get removed from DNR

I am on the Hertz (and related companies) DNR list due to an unpaid $30 parking ticket from 8 years ago.

It was a deliberate choice not to pay it at the time because of Hertz’s response after renting me a car that broke down on the highway and nearly caused an accident. (I can provide more details of that experience if needed, but the DNR is due solely to the parking ticket.)

To head off criticism, I’ll be the first to admit that I should have handled this situation differently and paid the ticket and continued to escalate my complaint at Hertz. But I was young and dumb 8 years ago and was also not a frequent traveler for work as I am now.

My question: What is the best process to try to resolve this old issue and get removed from the Hertz DNR? I feel like calling a customer service line might not be the best way to resolve it.

I now travel frequently for work and mostly rent with National, though sometimes Avis. It’s not crucial that I be able to book with Hertz but I just think at this point it would be good to be in good standing with all the rental companies.

If I want to resolve this very old issue, what is the best strategy? (I’m pretty sure I’m still DNR with Hertz. I last confirmed this in 2016.)

Thanks

Often1 Aug 25, 2018 1:56 pm

1. I presume that you have taken care of the $30 and any associated administrative fees.
2. Write to Hertz, simply advising that with the passage of time, you would like to be removed from its DNR list. Keep the note to 2-3 short declarative sentences.

As fair warning to others, rental companies are particularly intransigent on unpaid balances, chargebacks, and other similar items. Think carefully before taking action.

ShinyO Aug 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Actually no the ticket was never paid. So I would have to make that right as well, if I can. I don’t even know how to do that at this point. I don’t think I can pay the city, I would have to pay Hertz the cost of the ticket and any associated fees.

At the time I felt that it was a fair response to their refusal to properly deal with me after renting me a car with serious mechanical problems.

But after 8 years I’m willing to accept that I probably no longer have any leverage over them to negotiate anything because of that very negative experience (if I ever had any “leverage” to begin with.)

So my best option would be to see what it would cost to resolve that issue at this point, if it’s possible, and whether they would then consider removing me from the DNR.

I’m guessing the same advice to write them a short letter would still apply? If so, where exactly do I write them? Is there a specific customer service email to use? Or a particular address to mail a letter? I’m assuming mailing a letter is more appropriate in this instance.

Thanks again.

Often1 Aug 25, 2018 4:08 pm

If you did not pay the ticket, Hertz paid it shortly after it was issued and it is still sitting their, along with administrative fees.

I would start with a call to Hertz to determine how large that might be. My advice above was based on the mistaken impression that you no longer had a balance. If you still do, this is not likely to end well. But, you might as well start the process now.

ShinyO Aug 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Yep it’s not the best situation, hence asking for advice. If it becomes a big hassle I will probably just opt to remain on their DNR list, but I’ll see what happens.

Do I just call a regular Hertz customer service number?

Often1 Aug 25, 2018 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by ShinyO (Post 30129640)
Yep it’s not the best situation, hence asking for advice. If it becomes a big hassle I will probably just opt to remain on their DNR list, but I’ll see what happens.

Do I just call a regular Hertz customer service number?

Yes. You just need to know the balance. Doubt anybody can answer that over the phone and it may take a few weeks to get an answer, but you might as well know the number.

m907 Aug 26, 2018 1:34 am

I've never dealt with this situation before but I'd approach it by first contacting them on Twitter because you're more likely to get a personalized response rather than a stock one. They might give you an email address to contact. I'd state that you handled it wrong, apologize, offer to pay the ticket and late fees, say you need to rent with them for work, and politely ask to be reinstated.

ShinyO Aug 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks. Do I DM them on Twitter? I’d rather not send this out as a message viewable to the public.

I don’t absolutely need to rent from them for work, but I’d like the option and at this point would like to close the book on my 8-year self-imposed Hertz ban. I suppose it is not worth bringing up the terrible experience I had that prompted me
not to pay the ticket (since not paying a ticket is not really the correct response to a bad experience anyway.)

I’ll post and update here on when I have one.

bhunt Aug 26, 2018 4:58 pm

There actually is a DNR dept at Hertz. They have their own phone # 405-775-3091. This few years old.

garykung Aug 26, 2018 5:05 pm

OP:

While I understand your POV, I would like to point out the obvious - the parking ticket has nothing to do with the car's issue. So while you can piss off with Hertz, the reality remains simple - you caused the parking ticket.

My 2 cents say you are well-deserved on DNR list. I would pay the ticket as soon as possible if I were you.

Often1 Aug 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 30132722)
OP:

While I understand your POV, I would like to point out the obvious - the parking ticket has nothing to do with the car's issue. So while you can piss off with Hertz, the reality remains simple - you caused the parking ticket.

My 2 cents say you are well-deserved on DNR list. I would pay the ticket as soon as possible if I were you.

The problem for OP is that Hertz almost certainly paid the ticket long long ago. The debt is to Hertz for the ticket and what are possibly astronomical administrative fees which may or may not keep mounting.

ShinyO Aug 26, 2018 9:43 pm

Yep. I agree. It was a bad call to conflate the two, as much as it may have seemed appropriate to me at the time.

I’ll aim to call this week or write them on Twitter. At this point, some of the responses here are making me worried that I may be opening a can of worms by trying to rectify this and that it might just be better to leave it be and remain on the DNR. I have yet to need to travel to a location that was only served by Hertz and my employer does not seem particular who I book with so long as it’s not outrageously expensive.

Dave Noble Aug 26, 2018 9:54 pm

I would personally just leave it alone unless it becomes a case where not having access to rent through Hertz actually becomes a problem

As far as the amount owing is concerned, I would have thought that at 8 years it was at an age where the company could not take any action to recover the debt even if you were to disturb the sleeping dog - as far as the debt mounting goes, I cannot see that a $30 debt will be that much more now; I cannot imagine that Hertz spent much in time and effort to recover such a small amount

skywardhunter Aug 26, 2018 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30133437)
I would personally just leave it alone unless it becomes a case where not having access to rent through Hertz actually becomes a problem

As far as the amount owing is concerned, I would have thought that at 8 years it was at an age where the company could not take any action to recover the debt even if you were to disturb the sleeping dog - as far as the debt mounting goes, I cannot see that a $30 debt will be that much more now; I cannot imagine that Hertz spent much in time and effort to recover such a small amount

They may not have a legal claim, and it's probably been written off long ago, but they have every right to request settlement in return to providing future services.

Dave Noble Aug 26, 2018 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30133454)
They may not have a legal claim, and it's probably been written off long ago, but they have every right to request settlement in return to providing future services.

indeed - but there is no reason to worry about the idea of "administrative fees"