Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting at airport vs downtown for president's circle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am planning a trip and I have just realized that I've always rented cars at the airport upon arrival. now i intend to fly into SFO and take the BART downtown and stay for a couple of days.
Then I'm going to rent a car drive the car for a week and drop it off at LAX.
Am I better off going back to SFO to get a car or should I get one downtown SF? I realize that airports are a bit more expensive plus I'll have the one-way fee in any case but i'm wondering if the PC choice would make it worthwhile.
are there any other large agencies in SF that would be comparable to SFO? What happens when you pick up at a hotel? I'm assuming that they don't really give you a choice of cars.
thanks for any insight that you can share.

Last edited by BenSenise; Jul 27, 2018 at 1:22 pm Reason: edited for clarity
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:06 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The short answer regarding price is that you never know. Sometimes the airport is cheaper due to competition even taking into account the higher airport fees, while other times it's more expensive. The best approach is to just check both.

As far as selection goes, usually the airport is far better in this regard, but it really depends on how you hit it. You have a much better chance of getting a nicer vehicle as a PC at the airport the majority of the time if you're playing the odds.
m907 and jackal like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You may well find that you can book a better car upfront for the same price once the airport surcharging is taken into account. I wouldn't spend money going off to the airport on the chance of a better car - especially at a US location where airport car rental locations seem to be anything but at the airport and require a bus ride to get to them

What is the price comparison for the rental between the 2 locations?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This thread may be of help: Non-Airport Hertz Locations in San Francisco?

I have done both; I have taken BART to the city and used public transportation while there before taking BART (or an Uber) back to SFO to pick up a car and get better upgrades and I have also just rented in the city at the Mason St. HLE and taken what they gave me. As stated above, it's a real roulette game with possible upgrades when renting at a HLE.

Something to consider is the cost of parking a car overnight, which can be considerable it the city, along with the time/convenience of not having to go back to SFO to get a car. Hotel pickups/drop-offs are even more limited with inventory, plus there is often a valet fee to pay.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 21, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You may well find that you can book a better car upfront for the same price once the airport surcharging is taken into account. I wouldn't spend money going off to the airport on the chance of a better car - especially at a US location where airport car rental locations seem to be anything but at the airport and require a bus ride to get to them

What is the price comparison for the rental between the 2 locations?
the difference in price is not really a factor. i'm not going into the city just to pick up a car. we'll be staying a few nights downtown and will pick up the car when we head out.

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
This thread may be of help: Non-Airport Hertz Locations in San Francisco?

I have done both; I have taken BART to the city and used public transportation while there before taking BART (or an Uber) back to SFO to pick up a car and get better upgrades and I have also just rented in the city at the Mason St. HLE and taken what they gave me. As stated above, it's a real roulette game with and possible upgrades when renting at a HLE.

Something to consider is the cost of parking a car overnight, which can be considerable it the city, along with the time/convenience of not having to go back to SFO to get a car. Hotel pickups/drop-offs are even more limited with inventory, plus there is often a valet fee to pay.
thanks for the link. that was exactly the kind of thread that i was searching for but couldn't find.

we won't be parking the car overnight in the city. we'll pick it up and hit the road.

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The short answer regarding price is that you never know. Sometimes the airport is cheaper due to competition even taking into account the higher airport fees, while other times it's more expensive. The best approach is to just check both.

As far as selection goes, usually the airport is far better in this regard, but it really depends on how you hit it. You have a much better chance of getting a nicer vehicle as a PC at the airport the majority of the time if you're playing the odds.
actually, now i'm having second thoughts about renting from hertz after having a look at your service. at first glance, it seems to come in at about half the price from another major player which is significant. PC or not, the savings would be hundreds of dollars.

thank you all for sharing your experience. this is really a great community.
jackal likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BenSenise
actually, now i'm having second thoughts about renting from hertz after having a look at your service. at first glance, it seems to come in at about half the price from another major player which is significant. PC or not, the savings would be hundreds of dollars.

thank you all for sharing your experience. this is really a great community.
Depending on whom you are renting from, you can status match your PC status to their equivalent. If your trip is still a little bit away, consider to status match to whomever the cheaper company is and STILL get a great car for the discounted price.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jim32190
Depending on whom you are renting from, you can status match your PC status to their equivalent. If your trip is still a little bit away, consider to status match to whomever the cheaper company is and STILL get a great car for the discounted price.
good idea. i'll check that out. trip isn't for a few months yet.

i have found that prices for car rentals usually go down as the time approaches. i have often cancelled and rebooked once or twice to take advantage of that. i just reserve early for security.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AutoSlash

One thing I will add is that the fees at SFO seem particularly high to me... there is a Concession Recovery Fee, San Mateo Bus Fee and Air Train fee which all together adds about $40 to the rental.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by neo_781
One thing I will add is that the fees at SFO seem particularly high to me... there is a Concession Recovery Fee, San Mateo Bus Fee and Air Train fee which all together adds about $40 to the rental.
Yes, SFO is one of the more tax-heavy airports around.

But even with a high tax burden, it's still checking rates both on and off the airport. Personally, I've rented a car at SEA for $12/day when rates downtown were $35/day. Even with a significantly higher tax rate at the airport, I was still money ahead, and the airport had a better selection of cars.

Can't say whether SFO airport vs. downtown has a similar potential rate disparity, but it's not an impossibility. Only way to know is to check both.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by neo_781
SFO has quite high fees, particularly for short rentals. As I recall, the Air Train fee is around $15, but that's per rental, not per day...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.