Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:44 pm

Interesting return experience today. I picked up an Volvo S60 on Friday August 30 and returned it today.
When I got the bill it was only 6 dollars.
upon further review if the bill there was an ‘PRADJ’ of 75 dollars for the 2 day rental.

not sure why they gave me the 75 dollar credit?
I didn’t have any issues and spoke with anyone other than the check out clerk on Friday.

i’vr been renting weekly here for the past 3 years, and this is the first time anything like this
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:20 am

Hey guys,

my girlfriend and I are going on a roadtrip around eastern Canada starting the week after next at Toronto Pearson International. I have a PCAR reservation via the german car club (ADAC) for two weeks and we'll be returning the car at Halifax airport (one way rental). Since I am from Germany and can drive german cars here all I want, I would very much like to get an american car in North America, such as a Chrysler, a Dodge or a Cadillac. I have the Hertz Five Star status.

My question is the following: What car can I expect under the circumstances described above? Can I do something to ensure getting an american car? Also: since it's my first time renting at Hertz in Canada, what would be the best strategy for a decent car? Does it make sense to make use of the Five Star section or should I just take whatever they give me at the counter?

Useful hints would be highly appreciated .

Thank you and have a nice weekend!
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OTRAeu
Hey guys,

my girlfriend and I are going on a roadtrip around eastern Canada starting the week after next at Toronto Pearson International. I have a PCAR reservation via the german car club (ADAC) for two weeks and we'll be returning the car at Halifax airport (one way rental). Since I am from Germany and can drive german cars here all I want, I would very much like to get an american car in North America, such as a Chrysler, a Dodge or a Cadillac. I have the Hertz Five Star status.

My question is the following: What car can I expect under the circumstances described above? Can I do something to ensure getting an american car? Also: since it's my first time renting at Hertz in Canada, what would be the best strategy for a decent car? Does it make sense to make use of the Five Star section or should I just take whatever they give me at the counter?

Useful hints would be highly appreciated .

Thank you and have a nice weekend!
95% chance of a Chrysler 300, Buick Regal, or Dodge Charger/Challenger SXT Plus.

Other American cars are the Cadillac CTS and XTS if there are any still floating around Hertz's fleet here. I don't think you can get upgraded to a Volvo or Infiniti Q50 for a one-way rental to Halifax. The Chrysler/Dodge are standard V6 models, nearly all with AWD. Nothing too exciting. I personally prefer the Chrysler 300S models over the 300 Limited or Touring variants but I haven't seen one available for a while now. I've seen better cars in the Five Star section a grand total of once, and that car might've been placed there as a mistake.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Schweden
95% chance of a Chrysler 300, Buick Regal, or Dodge Charger/Challenger SXT Plus.

Other American cars are the Cadillac CTS and XTS if there are any still floating around Hertz's fleet here. I don't think you can get upgraded to a Volvo or Infiniti Q50 for a one-way rental to Halifax. The Chrysler/Dodge are standard V6 models, nearly all with AWD. Nothing too exciting. I personally prefer the Chrysler 300S models over the 300 Limited or Touring variants but I haven't seen one available for a while now. I've seen better cars in the Five Star section a grand total of once, and that car might've been placed there as a mistake.
Thanks for getting back to me and providing those valuable insights! That sounds pretty good, for the most part. I would be totally fine with a 300/S, a Charger/Challenger or a CTS/XTS. A Buick Regal, however, would be very unwelcome since it seems to be a worse version of the Opel Insignia, which is not a desirable car in itself. Also, it only seems to be available with 4-cylinder engines. Is it rather likely to get a Regal based on your experience? Do you think it might be possible to negotiate a different model if this should be the case?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for getting back to me and providing those valuable insights! That sounds pretty good, for the most part. I would be totally fine with a 300/S, a Charger/Challenger or a CTS/XTS. A Buick Regal, however, would be very unwelcome since it seems to be a worse version of the Opel Insignia, which is not a desirable car in itself. Also, it only seems to be available with 4-cylinder engines. Is it rather likely to get a Regal based on your experience? Do you think it might be possible to negotiate a different model if this should be the case?
I'd say that the Dodge and Chryslers combined outnumber Regals by 20:1 or something so you should definitely have other options.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Schweden
I'd say that the Dodge and Chryslers combined outnumber Regals by 20:1 or something so you should definitely have other options.
That sounds great! Thanks for your helpfuls hints. I'll know more in a week from now .
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
That sounds great! Thanks for your helpfuls hints. I'll know more in a week from now .
Enjoy your trip, and let us know what you saw in the aisle when you get here!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:39 am

Any current/recent reports? I'm renting tmrw (Thurs) afternoon and I'm wondering if I have a chance of finding a nice car in PC. Not looking for an SUV. Any S60's or Q50's around these days, or any other good cars?

TIA
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:41 pm

ok well ... the software says I need two more posts to be able to post URLs ...
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:41 pm

So, here is the second one ...
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:45 pm

Ok, I hope this works now =).

Hey guys,

thanks again for providing me with the valuable information. I was able to pick my rental car up about 3 hours ago. The experience was ... well ... not so great. I went to the Hertz countert at Terminal 1 where I was greeted by a nice lady who told me to go to the "Gold Office" directly since I am a Five Star member. I did what I was told and was greeted by a guy named Jude who was either rather incompetent or was trying to rip me off. Or both.

Be reminded, I came with a PCAR reservation and he really tried to give me a Volkswagen Tiguan which is nowhere near PCAR. So I outright declined it and asked for an american car. He than offered a Chevy Impala which was a bit closer but not what I would consider PCAR. So I pointed at the Dodge Charger GT, which was available on the "Premium Upgrade" spot and told him I would consider this car the most consistent with my reserved class. He agreed to that and asked me if I wanted to give the car back with an empty tank, which I explicitly declined.

It still showed up on the invoice though. I told him explicitly that I did not want it and that he should take that off, which he said he did but it still was on there. Three times. Seriously, what's wrong with these guys? A supervisor had to come and remove it. Why do they book stuff the customer explicitly does not want? The whole experience was quite disillusioning. I am rather used to renting cars but I would imagine that a normal traveler maybe without a status would be totally ripped off by practices like these. It's a shame, really.

Nevertheless I took the liberty to check out the lot for you guys. Since I am not as familiar with the american brands and models as it would be required for a decent report, I used took photos of most of the cars in Terminal 1.

All of these are from ~8pm. As for my understanding, the Charger was the nicest car, the rest seemed rather unappealing but judge for yourself .

Kind regards and safe travels!

Schweden TOchurner SoroSuub1

turbov6 and missingcolours like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Glad you were able to get something you liked. Hertz classifies both the Impala and the Charger as a PCAR.

It's crazy that this location is STILL trying to rip off customers. Why is it so difficult to leave with a contract that is correct? They always try and push it off. Oh they will fix it on the return. Yeah good luck with that.

It seems any sort of change requires a manager. Last rental the mileage on the contract was off by 10K and they wouldn't correct it at the gate. It's unlimited mileage they say. Well why do they bother putting it on there if it isn't correct and doesn't matter.

You will get a survey after your return be sure to fill it out. Hopefully corporate will eventually do something about this location. Their premium upgrades are a scam as well. All the USA locations you just grab one from premium upgrades for $35/day or $25/day President's Circle. At YYZ they're always trying to upcharge $75-100 or more.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:47 pm

Arrived at Toronto International Airport at 9 this morning with an email that stated Ultimate Choice is available and to go directly to the Gold Zone to pick out a vehicle of my choice. Mind you, I had a mid-sized car reservation. I went over and a gentleman pointed to what was available -- a REALLY rough looking Nissan Sentra and a VW Golf. Needless to say, I'm not at all liking this Ultimate Choice thing. I picked the Golf and it's a speedy little vehicle, but not what I paid for as its a compact. It really should not be in this section whatsoever, and for an airport location as large as this one, there should be more than two cars available.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 24, 2019 at 7:03 pm Reason: Moved into dedicated thread for this location
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

T1 Thursday, pretty empty

PC
- Old gen Rav4
- F150 XLT
- Regal
- Nissan SUVs
- Optima

Upgrade
- Camaro RS convertible
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Passed through Hertz at YYZ Terminal 3 after returning my National car... very bare on Thanksgiving Sunday.

Gold: one Toyota Corolla sedan old generation (2019 and earlier). The wipers were up in this car for some reason.

5 star:
Nissan Sentra
Nissan rogue

PC
2x Toyota Camry
2x Kia sportage
Chevrolet Impala
Ford Flex

PC

PC

The only things left in 5*

PC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.