Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that you are missing the fact that it is irrelevant in relation to the car hire.

Regardless of whose fault an accident was, the renter is the one liable to Hertz for the damage.

Without full details of the event with reports from both parties, not going to be able to tell whose driving caused the accident - it is quite possible to be stationary and be the one at fault for causing an accident if another vehicle hits
My question wasn’t aiming to answer the OP’s as it was already addressed by the previous reply; I was just wondering why the OP was found at fault. It sounded as though the he/she was rear ended while waiting for oncoming traffic to clear in order to turn left. The only way I could see the OP at least partially at fault is if no left turns were allowed at that location.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:27 pm

Anyone have experience with curb rash? I'm in a monthly rental in suburban PHL, booked compact but miraculously received an Infiniti Q50 with ~25k miles on it due to no compacts available or cars on hold. I'm pretty particular and have pictures of the car when I picked it up, but I just noticed some curb rash 3/4 of the way into my rental. Thing is, that is typically something you hear/feel when it happens and I have no recollection of it. So I'm torn between whether it was there and I didn't notice it, or whether I did it without realizing it.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:51 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by nova08
Anyone have experience with curb rash? I'm in a monthly rental in suburban PHL, booked compact but miraculously received an Infiniti Q50 with ~25k miles on it due to no compacts available or cars on hold. I'm pretty particular and have pictures of the car when I picked it up, but I just noticed some curb rash 3/4 of the way into my rental. Thing is, that is typically something you hear/feel when it happens and I have no recollection of it. So I'm torn between whether it was there and I didn't notice it, or whether I did it without realizing it.
Hertz tends to be pretty good about that meaning that they generally won't complain about minor scuffs and scratches, although I will say that there's typically less scrutiny at the airport than at off-airport locations.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nova08
you should be fine with a US location. If it was a European rental, you would definitely be charged.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:54 am

Cool, the previous monthly rental I had from an inner city PHL location was fine. They gave me a car with a ton of damage. Upon returning it I wanted to make sure that they were not going to blame me (I had pictures), and the agent told me I was good.

Autoslash, I've been using your website to find deals while I rent monthly until I find a car I want to buy. It's the summer so prices are naturally higher, but I've definitely found deals I wouldn't have otherwise.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:07 pm

Car Rental damage claim letter 5 months later

So it's middle of September and I just received a letter from Hertz about the damages to the rental I had in March/April @ YYC.
They want me to pay almost $1400 for the damages.

I asked them to provide dated photos of the damage and they sent me this:

I remember a guy doing a quick walk-around after returning rental and he didn't mark or notice anything unusual.
And to me it looks like a fairly regular damage from irresponsible renters unloading their suitcases. And honestly I see this kind of thing often on the cars I pick-up and it's absolutely not an issue until this time apparently.
Also I know it wasn't me as I didn't even have a suitcase throughout my rental.

I do have a car rental insurance through Allianz but it's pain in the ... to use them, especially considering that this case feels like ........ to me.
Also another thing. In Canada I am fairly certain that deductibles are $500 so I have no idea why would they ask me to pay $1400?

Honestly not really sure how to proceed with this one.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:15 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Hard to tell from the photo and the lighting if there is an actual dent on the bumper or just normal wear and tear, but I certainly would not just roll over on something like this. Additionally, I don't see any date on the photo as you requested. It literally could have been taken last week. Was there any mention of damage when you returned the vehicle?

You could write a letter which pushes back on their claim point-by-point yourself, or better yet, write a detailed letter and then see if you can find a friendly local attorney to edit the letter for you and put it on their own letterhead before sending it to Hertz. A letter from a law firm will carry 10X more weight than a personal letter. Might be worth a few hundred dollars to be rid of the spurious claim.
strickerj and m907 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

90 days after a one day rental in LA, I received a demand letter from Thrifty for $6500 for damage to the vehicle I rented. I had returned the vehicle in exactly the same condition as when I took it. If course, no damage was noted when I checked the car in.
I have Amex Premium Rental Car insurance (which stands as first payer when I use the Amex card to rent the car).
I never even responded to Thrifty, just called AMEX, explained the situation and opened a claim. They contacted Thrifty and demanded the following:

Closed rental agreement - This is the Final Document from the Car Rental Company and is provided when the vehicle has been returned. It will detail the following: the final charges for the rental, $0 balance, method of payment, date and time returned and mileage on the rental vehicle.
Check in / Check out slips - Document which details the condition of the vehicle at time of rental pick up and return. Usually a diagram of the car is included detailing any pre-existing damage or damage that was found on the vehicle upon it's return.
Accident / Incident report - Document filled out at the Rental Company, which details the facts of the accident as well as the damage caused to the vehicle.
Photos of damage - Photos need to clearly show damage on vehicle.
Appraisal or estimate of damages - Document is from a repair or body shop and should include a breakdown of parts and labor.
Prior condition report - This report shows rental vehicle condition prior to the Card Member's rental of the vehicle. Contains vehicle condition for the prior rental right before the Card Member's rental.
Fleet Utilization Log or proof of payment for completed repairs - Report from Car Rental Company that summarizes what rental vehicles were available for rent at the time the Card Member's rental vehicle was being repaired or the receipt showing the Car Rental Company paid for the repairs to the vehicle. The fleet utilization log must be location and class specific and will detail the utilization rate for each day claimed.

About a month later, Amex contacted me and told me Thrifty had dropped the demand and closed the claim.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Always best to let your insurance handle it. No need to pay lawyers, waste your time on arguing and the like.

The larger insurers have teams of people who work on these things, handle them at the same time and are incentivized to minimze the ultimate payout if there is one.

Best news is that if you don't like where the insurance people wind up, you may still fight about any excess.
rickg523 and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
90 days after a one day rental in LA, I received a demand letter from Thrifty for $6500 for damage to the vehicle I rented. I had returned the vehicle in exactly the same condition as when I took it. If course, no damage was noted when I checked the car in.
I have Amex Premium Rental Car insurance (which stands as first payer when I use the Amex card to rent the car).
I never even responded to Thrifty, just called AMEX, explained the situation and opened a claim. They contacted Thrifty and demanded the following:

Closed rental agreement - This is the Final Document from the Car Rental Company and is provided when the vehicle has been returned. It will detail the following: the final charges for the rental, $0 balance, method of payment, date and time returned and mileage on the rental vehicle.
Check in / Check out slips - Document which details the condition of the vehicle at time of rental pick up and return. Usually a diagram of the car is included detailing any pre-existing damage or damage that was found on the vehicle upon it's return.
Accident / Incident report - Document filled out at the Rental Company, which details the facts of the accident as well as the damage caused to the vehicle.
Photos of damage - Photos need to clearly show damage on vehicle.
Appraisal or estimate of damages - Document is from a repair or body shop and should include a breakdown of parts and labor.
Prior condition report - This report shows rental vehicle condition prior to the Card Member's rental of the vehicle. Contains vehicle condition for the prior rental right before the Card Member's rental.
Fleet Utilization Log or proof of payment for completed repairs - Report from Car Rental Company that summarizes what rental vehicles were available for rent at the time the Card Member's rental vehicle was being repaired or the receipt showing the Car Rental Company paid for the repairs to the vehicle. The fleet utilization log must be location and class specific and will detail the utilization rate for each day claimed.

About a month later, Amex contacted me and told me Thrifty had dropped the demand and closed the claim.
That's BRILLIANT! I wonder if the AMEX folks laughed as they sent that off..... knowing most of it was almost certainly NOT going to be easy (or even possible) for Thrifty to produce...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:40 am

Is there a risk the rental company would put you on the Do Not Rent List because the insurance behaved that way? While you may not want to rent with Dollar/Thrifty again, their Hertz affiliate may be of interest to you at some point.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Is there a risk the rental company would put you on the Do Not Rent List because the insurance behaved that way? While you may not want to rent with Dollar/Thrifty again, their Hertz affiliate may be of interest to you at some point.
I don't think so. I went through a similar experience with Chase's claims process through Card Benefit Services (they do something similar, though are not quite as pro-active as American Express' Premium service) where I actually admitted fault for damage (chipped windshield while I was driving), produced all of the documents I had on my end (closed rental agreement, dated pictures of damage, completed accident report), then Card Benefit Services said they were simply waiting for final documentation (proof of payment for repairs) from Hertz to payout the claim.

3 months later I get a letter from Hertz saying I am past due on my balance and owe them close to $600 immediately and to contact them, then as soon as I contacted them and referred them to Card Benefit Services and the missing documentation they needed to submit to Card Benefit Services to be paid, I was swiftly told by Hertz they were dropping their claim and not pursuing payment with Card Benefit Services.

I've rented 5+ cars since then all with no issue.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
There is no chance I will ever rent from Thrifty or Dollar again.
I typically use Avis/Budget domestically and Sixt, Europcar, or local agencies overseas. I always rent with AMEX to invoke the PRI, unless I'm in a country where they won't cover (Italy, for example).
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:15 am

Anyway, I ended up submitting a claim with my Insurance provider and also gave my claim ID and contact info details to Hertz.
Haven't heard from either of them for over 10 days now.

In the meantime I had two Hertz rentals with 0 issues.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:10 am

This thread is a good reminder to ALWAYS make a video walking around your vehicle as soon as you get it, including the mileage, the surroundings, the time and date if you can, and every single body panel and glass, both high and low, including roof and lower bumpers, and save that video for 6 months minimum.

Saved my butt today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.