Body damage - what to do?

Old Jun 11, 18, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
OK. What I thought it would be.
Has the splash guard been refitted? Hertz may notice if it is missing.
No, they didn't had the parts and I was in hurry to get to my next hotel. The garage told me an interesting story about the splash guard at this car; apparently there was already some damage from previous "accident" (I took pictures) so if Hertz wanna charge me anything I can tell them this story.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:49 am

Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - silver medallion
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
I think the rental agreement states you won't drive the car on non-paved roads...

Take pictures of everything before you return the car and keep your mouth shut when you return it.
And if you do drive on non-paved roads, do not shout out about in the public forums!

Hertz's AI mines data from these forums too
Old Jun 18, 18, 1:12 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by Firstboss View Post
And if you do drive on non-paved roads, do not shout out about in the public forums!

Hertz has AI?
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Well somehow I needed to know what to do, right? I spared all details I could for my safety and also that Hertz is unable to identify me, but there are things you needed to know in order to help me.
Old Jun 19, 18, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
OK, Mulder...so what?
Old Jun 20, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - silver medallion
Originally Posted by heubergen View Post
Well somehow I needed to know what to do, right? I spared all details I could for my safety and also that Hertz is unable to identify me, but there are things you needed to know in order to help me.
Sure, but the off-road part isn't really relevant to the story, unless you registered with either the rental company or the authorities the location of the damage.
Anything you do online is identifiable. Of course it won't matter for a minor insurance case like this one, but "everything you say can be used against you in court"

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Hertz has AI?
LOL
Hertz probably doesn't.
However, data scientists are employed at all kinds of places you wouldn't expect. All companies collect every piece of data they can trying to mine something profitable from there
Old Jun 20, 18, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Sure, but the off-road part isn't really relevant to the story, unless you registered with either the rental company or the authorities the location of the damage.
Anything you do online is identifiable. Of course it won't matter for a minor insurance case like this one, but "everything you say can be used against you in court"
You're probably right, I just didn't had any idea what the damage was and I tried to describe what happened with the hope that somebody could give me a clue what damage I got and how severe it is.
Old Jul 15, 18, 4:27 pm

Anyone have experience with curb rash? I'm in a monthly rental in suburban PHL, booked compact but miraculously received an Infiniti Q50 with ~25k miles on it due to no compacts available or cars on hold. I'm pretty particular and have pictures of the car when I picked it up, but I just noticed some curb rash 3/4 of the way into my rental. Thing is, that is typically something you hear/feel when it happens and I have no recollection of it. So I'm torn between whether it was there and I didn't notice it, or whether I did it without realizing it.
Old Jul 15, 18, 4:51 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
Anyone have experience with curb rash? I'm in a monthly rental in suburban PHL, booked compact but miraculously received an Infiniti Q50 with ~25k miles on it due to no compacts available or cars on hold. I'm pretty particular and have pictures of the car when I picked it up, but I just noticed some curb rash 3/4 of the way into my rental. Thing is, that is typically something you hear/feel when it happens and I have no recollection of it. So I'm torn between whether it was there and I didn't notice it, or whether I did it without realizing it.
Hertz tends to be pretty good about that meaning that they generally won't complain about minor scuffs and scratches, although I will say that there's typically less scrutiny at the airport than at off-airport locations.
Old Jul 15, 18, 6:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
you should be fine with a US location. If it was a European rental, you would definitely be charged.
Old Jul 16, 18, 5:54 am

Cool, the previous monthly rental I had from an inner city PHL location was fine. They gave me a car with a ton of damage. Upon returning it I wanted to make sure that they were not going to blame me (I had pictures), and the agent told me I was good.

Autoslash, I've been using your website to find deals while I rent monthly until I find a car I want to buy. It's the summer so prices are naturally higher, but I've definitely found deals I wouldn't have otherwise.
AutoSlash likes this.