FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   "holding" a car while checking the rest of the inventory (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1912589-holding-car-while-checking-rest-inventory.html)

carzaddict Jun 4, 2018 8:41 am

"holding" a car while checking the rest of the inventory

This morning at DTW airport, a guy got to an Infiniti M45 (or M56) a mere seconds before me, but he looked uncertain. I kindly asked if he was going to take the car, he said yes.
Now im walking around the lot looking for something fun to drive.....I see he opened the trunk of the infiniti, but walked away (with his luggage i think).
I was considering just jumping in and taking it, but then i thought, maybe he was having trouble with the car or something, was looking for a lot attendant.
I jump in a car and head towards the exit, I still see him walking around, far from the PC area. I roll down my window and asked him again if he was still taking the Infiniti......his response was yes, but he was just looking around, he's a frequent traveler.

At that point I should have just went back and taken the car. What do you guys think of the situation? i think its totally unfair.

AutoSlash Jun 4, 2018 8:44 am

There's a good chance he had the keys to the car in his pocket. People do that all the time. If he didn't, the car was fair game. You're under no obligation to check with someone who was browsing a vehicle earlier if they're not near it any longer.

carzaddict Jun 4, 2018 9:25 am

that is a good point, i didnt think of him holding the keys.

91StealthES Jun 4, 2018 12:16 pm

I do this, but am back to the car within a mere 2-minutes or so. I grab the keys, and put my luggage in, the car that caught my eye when exiting the bus. I then walk the PC lot and 5-star lot briskly and return to the originally chosen vehicle unless I found something I liked better.

Ive seen people grab keys to 2 or 3 cars while walking the lot. I feel this is completely unacceptable and flat out rude.

m907 Jun 4, 2018 12:46 pm

If you're going to take the keys to a car while you look around, you should put your luggage in and remote start it so people know it's taken. Even then I wouldn't do it often, seems unfair and a good way to get in trouble with the employees.

FlyinHawaiian Jun 4, 2018 1:36 pm

I take the keys and lock the car; that seems adequate.

cestmoi123 Jun 4, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 29828260)
I take the keys and lock the car; that seems adequate.

Definitely lock the car, so somebody doesn't waste time hunting for the keys, particularly in cars with just a fob.

Jamtex Jun 5, 2018 8:45 am

Yes if I find a car I like, I do take the keys and lock it, then see what else is there in the PC and FS lots. If I find a better one, I take the key, lock it and then go back to the other car to unlock it and put the keys back in.

Sometimes you can have the same cars with slightly different trims and toys so I rather see if I can get the most decent car.

strickerj Jun 8, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by 91StealthES (Post 29827925)
I do this, but am back to the car within a mere 2-minutes or so. I grab the keys, and put my luggage in, the car that caught my eye when exiting the bus. I then walk the PC lot and 5-star lot briskly and return to the originally chosen vehicle unless I found something I liked better.

Ive seen people grab keys to 2 or 3 cars while walking the lot. I feel this is completely unacceptable and flat out rude.

I concur with this sentiment. Some of the suggestions on here seem a bit... excessive?

mdbe Jun 8, 2018 9:52 pm

I sometimes try to get in a car and drive around to 5 star and gold and see if I like anything better.

lhrsfo Sep 5, 2018 9:37 am

A new low in customer behaviour?

At SFO the other day in the PC area, there was only one SUV but it was locked. The attendant was puzzled and couldn't understand why it should be locked. He fetched another for me and as I was getting into it, I noticed a couple approaching from the Gold Area, unlocking it and driving off in it. Clearly they had decided that this car was the best in PC so had taken the keys and locked it while they went off to explore elsewhere. Is there no limit to the selfishness of people?

3Cforme Sep 5, 2018 10:03 am

There may be fifty people in this and the National forum (Emerald Aisle/Exec Selection) who have used that trick.

xfire22 Sep 5, 2018 10:08 am

Yeah. I can see staking claim to a vehicle but I'd leave an occupant while I looked around. I don't think I'd take the keys and lock it unless I had loaded my bags and had to go to the desk or something.

CalItalian Sep 6, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 30170169)
At SFO the other day in the PC area, there was only one SUV but it was locked. The attendant was puzzled and couldn't understand why it should be locked. He fetched another for me and as I was getting into it, I noticed a couple approaching from the Gold Area, unlocking it and driving off in it. Clearly they had decided that this car was the best in PC so had taken the keys and locked it while they went off to explore elsewhere. Is there no limit to the selfishness of people?

At LAX, since there are so many vehicles in the PC area, I often spot a vehicle right off that I like, take the keys and look around at all the offerings to see if I want to switch. But even after deciding on a vehicle, there have been a couple of times I will go into the main office and use the restroom. I see no problem with someone picking a vehicle and leaving it as long as they take the keys and lock it.

lhrsfo Sep 6, 2018 8:40 am

Originally Posted by CalItalian (Post 30173799)
At LAX, since there are so many vehicles in the PC area, I often spot a vehicle right off that I like, take the keys and look around at all the offerings to see if I want to switch. But even after deciding on a vehicle, there have been a couple of times I will go into the main office and use the restroom. I see no problem with someone picking a vehicle and leaving it as long as they take the keys and lock it.

I don't see that taking the keys and locking it makes it acceptable. In fact, it makes it worse, as then the car isn't available to others and the lot won't be restocked - yet everyone else will go up to the car to try to get in. IMHO, "reserving" one or more cars when not present at them puts people's own wishes ahead of the convenience of others (to put it politely).