Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

"holding" a car while checking the rest of the inventory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What is Your Opinion of "Holding" a Car in the Ultimate Choice Section?
I am against it; a renter should never take the keys of a car when browsing the lot.
32.76%
It's ok to take the keys of a single car while looking for something better.
65.52%
It's ok to take the keys of several cars while looking for something better.
0%
I have no opinion on this issue.
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

"holding" a car while checking the rest of the inventory

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
The car is still running and very few cars have a remote start - if any. I've never been aware of that facility on any hertz car that I have hired.

Maybe it existed, no idea how one would know.
Ive had quite a few cars that have had remote start. I’d actually say a good majority.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
The car is still running and very few cars have a remote start - if any. I've never been aware of that facility on any hertz car that I have hired.

Maybe it existed, no idea how one would know.
It's quite common on higher tier cars (F and above, and many SUVs), at least in the US.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by m907
That's what remote start is...
Depending on the state, using remote start and leaving the car may well be illegal. Not enforced typically, but illegal.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Depending on the state, using remote start and leaving the car may well be illegal. Not enforced typically, but illegal.
Why would automakers who spend millions a year on legal departments to avoid litigation push a feature that is commonly illegal? Leaving the keys in the ignition is illegal in some places. A remote start where the key is not in the car and the car turns off after a certain amount of time is not illegal.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Why would automakers who spend millions a year on legal departments to avoid litigation push a feature that is commonly illegal? Leaving the keys in the ignition is illegal in some places. A remote start where the key is not in the car and the car turns off after a certain amount of time is not illegal.
That depends on the state. It also depends on the amount of time. I believe the lowest setting for my remote start is 15-minutes. I know that would be illegal in DC and could give me a >$1000 fine.

States that have anti-idling laws include:
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Some are more lienent based on features of the remote start, but idling unattended is not legal in most states.

https://www.lifewire.com/are-remote-...illegal-534652

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/lif...r-idling-laws/
cestmoi123 and GentleGiant like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
That depends on the state. It also depends on the amount of time. I believe the lowest setting for my remote start is 15-minutes. I know that would be illegal in DC and could give me a >$1000 fine.
In NYC, it's a max of three minutes, or one minute if you're near a school. $350 fine for first offense, up to $2k for repeat offenders.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:56 pm

I had another negative experience with someone doing this a couple days ago. I arrived at the Hertz lot and saw a handsome Dodge Charger R/T in PC. I went right to it, tried to open the door, and sure enough it was locked. Looked through the window, no key visible. So I looked around the rest of the lot waiting to see if someone would come back for it or an employee would bring the keys. Then I had to go back in to the airport. (No, I did not take keys to any car with me.) Came back about 30 minutes later, car was still there, locked. I got an employee and asked if he knew where the keys were. He looked around and then said, "Someone probably took the keys and went back inside to the bathroom or something. They do that from time to time." I thanked him and chose another car. I doubt I was the only one who tried to take it.

So some jerk locked the best car on the lot for at least half an hour, wasted my time, wasted at least one employee's time, and probably wasted other people's time. Not okay. If you really want to hold the car while you go back inside, check it out and then park it in the regular parking garage.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:09 am

I had another negative experience with someone doing this a couple days ago. I arrived at the Hertz lot and saw a handsome Dodge Charger R/T in PC. I went right to it, tried to open the door, and sure enough it was locked. Looked through the window, no key visible. So I looked around the rest of the lot waiting to see if someone would come back for it or an employee would bring the keys. Then I had to go back in to the airport. (No, I did not take keys to any car with me.) Came back about 30 minutes later, car was still there, locked. I got an employee and asked if he knew where the keys were. He looked around and then said, "Someone probably took the keys and went back inside to the bathroom or something. They do that from time to time." I thanked him and chose another car. I doubt I was the only one who tried to take it.

So some jerk locked the best car on the lot for at least half an hour, wasted my time, wasted at least one employee's time, and probably wasted other people's time. Not okay. If you really want to hold the car while you go back inside, check it out and then park it in the regular parking garage.
sorry, I really wanted the R/T as I hadn’t had a HEMI for a while. But, once I got all my stuff in it, nature called and I had to run back to the terminal, then I decided to wait for my boss to land. He came with 4 other people, so I ended up taking the suburban that was a few spots down. Now after reading your post, I realize that I never put the keys back in the center console, oops.

Alright, that really wasn’t me, but the setup was too good. While I do take the keys to the vehicle I first see and like, as mentioned previously, I don’t have them for more than 2-3 minutes. What you mention above is unacceptable.

I will I’ll lose another option that may have happen though. I was twice assigned a Range Rover HSE and both times, the keys were missing (two different cars sitting next to each other. Those 2 same range rovers were parked in the same exact a lot upon my return 4-days later and again at my pickup 3-days later. So, it is possible the keys for the Charger were missing.

Sorry for your experience.
m907 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Three times in the past few months I've seen cars in the PC area with no keys in them, although in fairness on every occasion they had signs on them (or writing on the door) to say "No Keys".

It does make me wonder how the keys disappeared. Potentially someone pocketing them to reserve a vehicle and then forgetting they had them when they pick another car. Or maybe just someone deciding they need to own a key for a particular model of car?

On one occasion (at SLC) the car was still there 2 days later, still without keys.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Three times in the past few months I've seen cars in the PC area with no keys in them, although in fairness on every occasion they had signs on them (or writing on the door) to say "No Keys".

It does make me wonder how the keys disappeared. Potentially someone pocketing them to reserve a vehicle and then forgetting they had them when they pick another car. Or maybe just someone deciding they need to own a key for a particular model of car?

On one occasion (at SLC) the car was still there 2 days later, still without keys.
I'm sure people take keys all the time, undoubtedly some of them trying to hold a car then drive off with something else. Not much employees can do til they can tow it or bring a tech in.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:57 pm

I'm sure people take keys all the time, undoubtedly some of them trying to hold a car then drive off with something else. Not much employees can do til they can tow it or bring a tech in.
they supposedly ordered new keys for the two Range Rovers at LGA.

This poses another issue though. If keys walk, who says the walking of the keys wasn’t planned and then the vehicle is easily stolen once the next renter takes the vehicle? I would assume that with the electronics today, that a specific fob can be deactivated?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 91StealthES
I would assume that with the electronics today, that a specific fob can be deactivated?
Yes. When they re-program the key the old one can be deactivated. Depending on the vehicle this may or may not be optional which is why with some (most?) cars you need to have all keys available when programming a new one as they all need to be reset.

Of course that doesn't help for the physical key, only the fob, so someone could still potentially physically gain access to the vehicle, but that's about all.

Personally I'd be more worried about the vehicles that have two keys on the keyring as one of them could easily go missing without anyone noticing. Or, as I found on one Avis rental a few years ago, the second key was in an envelope in the trunk (in the tool kit compartment). Thankfully it wasn't one of the new fobs where it only needs to be near the car to be active but one that actually required you to push the button - although it still would have been trivial to take it without anyone noticing and then break into/steal the car later.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by docbert
Yes. When they re-program the key the old one can be deactivated. Depending on the vehicle this may or may not be optional which is why with some (most?) cars you need to have all keys available when programming a new one as they all need to be reset.

Of course that doesn't help for the physical key, only the fob, so someone could still potentially physically gain access to the vehicle, but that's about all.

Personally I'd be more worried about the vehicles that have two keys on the keyring as one of them could easily go missing without anyone noticing. Or, as I found on one Avis rental a few years ago, the second key was in an envelope in the trunk (in the tool kit compartment). Thankfully it wasn't one of the new fobs where it only needs to be near the car to be active but one that actually required you to push the button - although it still would have been trivial to take it without anyone noticing and then break into/steal the car later.
It has happened to me at Hertz for cars that have 3 keys, ie. two physical keys, fobs, and a valet key; you can find the valet key in the packet in the trunk that says “Do Not Remove”. So it’s not unheard of. Dangerous almost if someone sees it’s a rental and wants to try their luck breaking in.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:41 am

What airport was this? Saw a Charger like this at MIA once, I was there for 30 min, no one ever came back. Early Oct I think.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:00 am

So on the "no keys" thing...

Got to Boston a few weeks ago, and the only 2 worthwhile cars in the lot were a Chevy Camaro and a Buick Regal. Went for the Camaro, but the trunk wouldn't open. Took the keys into the Gold booth and told them - so anyone trying to pickup that car would have presumed missing keys...

The Buick was more interesting... It was locked, and I was just about to give up on it - until I noticed I could see what appeared to be the keys in the cup holder. A Hertz staff member came long and started trying to help (mainly by suggesting I take another car), and after a minute or so I was about to take his advice when I noticed the trunk wasn't fully closed - sitting open by maybe 1/4". Pushed the trunk closed, the horn stutter-honked, and the drivers door unlocked. I'm presuming it determined that because I'd locked everything (now including the trunk) and left the keys in the car, it had unlocked the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.