Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

"holding" a car while checking the rest of the inventory

View Poll Results: What is Your Opinion of "Holding" a Car in the Ultimate Choice Section?
I am against it; a renter should never take the keys of a car when browsing the lot.
32.76%
It's ok to take the keys of a single car while looking for something better.
65.52%
It's ok to take the keys of several cars while looking for something better.
0%
I have no opinion on this issue.
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

"holding" a car while checking the rest of the inventory

Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
IMHO, "reserving" one or more cars when not present at them puts people's own wishes ahead of the convenience of others (to put it politely).
It does not take away the convienience of others, as there are other cars you can take. If your main objective is concenience, then you would be taking the first car off the bus/train, so someone taking the keys and locking the car to go to the bathroom should not affect you in any way at all.

All the PC lots I’ve been to have over 20 stalls and I can count on one hand where every spot was filled so someone holding the keys while going to the bathroom is rarely ever goin to keep a porter from bringing another.m car to the lot. And, if this is the case where porters are waiting to put cars on the lot, that means that they have excessive cars, which means you probably have a fantastic selection in the PC lot, so there again shouldn’t be a complaint.

Last edited by 91StealthES; Sep 6, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:23 pm

I don't see that taking the keys and locking it makes it acceptable. In fact, it makes it worse, as then the car isn't available to others and the lot won't be restocked - yet everyone else will go up to the car to try to get in. IMHO, "reserving" one or more cars when not present at them puts people's own wishes ahead of the convenience of others (to put it politely).
I'm with you. If you're going to do this, turn it on with remote start and then lock it, or just leave it running. At least that shows people it's not available. But locking it while you go in to the bathroom is excessive, because you could've gone before going to the lot. And there aren't many lots big enough that you need more than a quick glance at the cars to figure out what you want.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by m907
I'm with you. If you're going to do this, turn it on with remote start and then lock it, or just leave it running. At least that shows people it's not available. But locking it while you go in to the bathroom is excessive, because you could've gone before going to the lot. And there aren't many lots big enough that you need more than a quick glance at the cars to figure out what you want.
And waste gas and pollute the environment, yes this is a much better idea 🤦.♂️
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by jim32190

And waste gas and pollute the environment, yes this is a much better idea 🤦.♂️
How much gas does five minutes of idling use? 1/20 of a gallon?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
How much gas does five minutes of idling use? 1/20 of a gallon?
Why does it matter? If the vehicle is occupied, by being empty but idling, or just locked, really doesn’t make a difference does it?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, what about this: I fly in, go to the pick-your-own-car type setup, toss luggage into a car, and go back inside the terminal to wait for travel companions on another flight? Uncool? Assume there is no overall shortage of cars and I'm selecting an unremarkable car - a Camry or something. It obviously implies an airport where the cars are walking distance from the terminal.

I've done this a few times simply for convenience and to slightly expedite our eventual departure from the terminal. I can't recall a time when I've done it with an unusual or highly-desirable car.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'm with you. If you're going to do this, turn it on with remote start and then lock it, or just leave it running.
I would assume that a car that's locked is unavailable, whether it's running or not.

I can certainly see objecting to someone locking more than one car. Locking one car, though, leaves everyone else no worse off than if you'd just arrived at the location, selected that car, and driven off in it.
klanfa likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:54 pm

I'm totally guilty of this. I will have a very quick look, head to the car I like the look of most, toss my bag in the back seat, lock it and go check out what else is there. Selfish? maybe. But to me, the point and indeed value of getting PC and keeping it is to choose some decent and different cars. I know some people prefer the time saver of jumping in and driving off but I'm a car guy, I like to check out whats available and I've spent well over an hour on a lot before. I do 30+ rentals a year.

At large stations (I rent from LAX mostly) there are at least 6 rows in PC, another 4 rows in 5* (where there are often better cars than in PC) fully stocked there could be over 100 cars to choose from. I have often jumped in a 300, I drive towards the exit and I notice something way better hiding at the end of the row. My rentals vary from 1 week to 2 months so I really like to be sure i'm comfortable with the car i've got because I'm often living with it for a longish time and changing is a faff.

What do people think the best practice is? just take whatever the first car in the row is?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:32 am

I'm new here. So does that mean it is useless to make an online reservation? Seem to me you have to be there physically and walk right up to the car you want to take it.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:08 am

Travelling solo with several large bags...sure.... The CAR is the only convenient, secure stowage available. I'll certainly lock my bags in it to use the bathroom before heading off on what is, usually, a significant drive. Of course I have never then changed cars...but you seem to think its just as bad.....
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Yeo Key Kiat
I'm new here. So does that mean it is useless to make an online reservation? Seem to me you have to be there physically and walk right up to the car you want to take it.
without a reservation, you won’t get a car, end stop, so you always need a reservation whether you make it prior to arrival or at the rental counter. I would most definitely suggest the prior.

If you are a Gold member and the renting facility has Ultimate Choice and you booked an appropriate reservation class, then you will pick your car from your Gold Status level. Though if you directly book say an economy class vehicle, or a Luxury SUV, or a Adrenine Collection vehicle; then you will have a vehicle assigned to you and you will go to the appropriate stall number.

Make sense?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by jim32190
Why does it matter? If the vehicle is occupied, by being empty but idling, or just locked, really doesn’t make a difference does it?
If it's running then usually you can tell from a distance. So you save others from going up to it, finding it's locked, getting confused, and maybe going to get an agent to find keys.

Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, what about this: I fly in, go to the pick-your-own-car type setup, toss luggage into a car, and go back inside the terminal to wait for travel companions on another flight? Uncool? Assume there is no overall shortage of cars and I'm selecting an unremarkable car - a Camry or something. It obviously implies an airport where the cars are walking distance from the terminal.

I've done this a few times simply for convenience and to slightly expedite our eventual departure from the terminal. I can't recall a time when I've done it with an unusual or highly-desirable car.
Locking a car indefinitely while you wait for another flight to land? Why not just check out with the car and go to the cell phone lot to wait?

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I would assume that a car that's locked is unavailable, whether it's running or not.

I can certainly see objecting to someone locking more than one car. Locking one car, though, leaves everyone else no worse off than if you'd just arrived at the location, selected that car, and driven off in it.
People will walk up to the car and then go get an agent to unlock it, especially if it's a unique car. You've then inconvenienced multiple people for the sake of your own convenience.

Originally Posted by Bjam99
I'm totally guilty of this. I will have a very quick look, head to the car I like the look of most, toss my bag in the back seat, lock it and go check out what else is there. Selfish? maybe. But to me, the point and indeed value of getting PC and keeping it is to choose some decent and different cars. I know some people prefer the time saver of jumping in and driving off but I'm a car guy, I like to check out whats available and I've spent well over an hour on a lot before. I do 30+ rentals a year.

At large stations (I rent from LAX mostly) there are at least 6 rows in PC, another 4 rows in 5* (where there are often better cars than in PC) fully stocked there could be over 100 cars to choose from. I have often jumped in a 300, I drive towards the exit and I notice something way better hiding at the end of the row. My rentals vary from 1 week to 2 months so I really like to be sure i'm comfortable with the car i've got because I'm often living with it for a longish time and changing is a faff.

What do people think the best practice is? just take whatever the first car in the row is?
I'm a car guy too so I take a stroll around the lot. Many lots are small enough that you can see most of what's available from the front of the lot. If it's larger then I walk around and narrow down to 2 or 3 choices and then pick one.

Originally Posted by trooper
Travelling solo with several large bags...sure.... The CAR is the only convenient, secure stowage available. I'll certainly lock my bags in it to use the bathroom before heading off on what is, usually, a significant drive. Of course I have never then changed cars...but you seem to think its just as bad.....
Use the bathroom before going to baggage claim? Or ask the agents if you can put your bags in and then move the car to a reserved space while you go back inside. The problem to me is leaving a locked car on the aisle taking up a space so people think it's available.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I don't see that taking the keys and locking it makes it acceptable. In fact, it makes it worse, as then the car isn't available to others and the lot won't be restocked - yet everyone else will go up to the car to try to get in. IMHO, "reserving" one or more cars when not present at them puts people's own wishes ahead of the convenience of others (to put it politely).
Totally disagree. And it did it today, too and will continue to. I see nothing wrong with it. At LAX, which I most often rent at, there are over 80 vehicles in PC alone. If I spot one I might like, I am going to take the keys from that vehicle, lock it and still look around a little more since it's a lot to take in all at once when the aisles are full (which they weren't completely today...and no restocking was going during the entire time I was looking). That's what Ultimate CHOICE means to me.
cestmoi123, jim32190 and Alclayno like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:21 am

Gee thanks make sense. I'm New gold member and have make a Prestige collection reservation at LAX. Hopefully will assign a decent car and smooth car collection process
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:50 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Yeo Key Kiat
Gee thanks make sense. I'm New gold member and have make a Prestige collection reservation at LAX. Hopefully will assign a decent car and smooth car collection process
Additionally, if you don't have a reservation, you end up paying the "walk-up rate" which basically means you're going to get price-gouged. Generally, the earlier you book, the more likely you are to save if you're diligent about checking rates and re-booking when prices drop (or use a service like AutoSlash). Be sure to also avail yourself of coupons and discount codes to lower your rate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.