Insurance/Waiver on Award reservation

Old May 24, 18, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Insurance/Waiver on Award reservation

I have found two threads on this from 2013 & 2015, but they mostly contain a lot of bickering and speculation. If anyone has solid info (or even solid speculation) please post it...

I have enough rewards points with Hertz for 3 days' "free" rental during my upcoming trip to Las Vegas. I'd like to use those points without completely rendering them worthless by having to pay astronomical LDW fees. I have lots of VISAs, a couple of MasterCards and a few Amex cards (including personal Platinum, on which I have Amex's "Premium Car Rental Protection") that offer free non-primary coverage, but I understand that gets complicated with an award rental. I live in WA and I believe I cannot get rental car coverage on my (State Farm) policy, but I could be wrong about that.

On the old threads there was some speculation that VISA cards gave coverage of free award days as long as one day was fully paid - that could be an option for me but not ideal. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Is there any other way to get credit card coverage to apply to an award rental?

thanks for any advice...
-huge
Old May 24, 18, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I just dug up my CC agreement for my Chase Ink Business Card & my Chase Southwest Business card. Here's the wording, which I suppose is ambiguous but maybe seems to imply that a reward reservation would be covered ... maybe?

Here's what you need to do:
1. Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit.
2. Decline the CDW/.LDW etc etc
Old May 24, 18, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
This topic has come up before, and the bottom line is that there hasn't been any crystal-clear answer. I would suggest you contact your credit card company directly and ask them.
Old May 24, 18, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by huge View Post
I have found two threads on this from 2013 & 2015, but they mostly contain a lot of bickering and speculation. If anyone has solid info (or even solid speculation) please post it...

I have enough rewards points with Hertz for 3 days' "free" rental during my upcoming trip to Las Vegas. I'd like to use those points without completely rendering them worthless by having to pay astronomical LDW fees. I have lots of VISAs, a couple of MasterCards and a few Amex cards (including personal Platinum, on which I have Amex's "Premium Car Rental Protection") that offer free non-primary coverage, but I understand that gets complicated with an award rental. I live in WA and I believe I cannot get rental car coverage on my (State Farm) policy, but I could be wrong about that.

On the old threads there was some speculation that VISA cards gave coverage of free award days as long as one day was fully paid - that could be an option for me but not ideal. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Is there any other way to get credit card coverage to apply to an award rental?

thanks for any advice...
-huge
Do you have a chase sapphire preferred? It has primary coverage for CDW.

Are you going to have to pay *any* fees at all, *any* taxes at all, etc? Because if you do, then you're covered according to the terms and conditions. "1. Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit. 2. Decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver or similar provision if it is offered to you." That's it. It says nothing of using a coupon or discount (ie, an award day) making it ineligible. I assume they're going to charge you for *something* (mandatory airport fees, etc) and as long as you put all of them on the same card, I'm sure you're good, I wouldn't worry one bit about it.

If for some reason they are not charging you, then make your reservation for 3 free days PLUS ONE HOUR and pay the one hour (bonus: if you turn it in before that hour, without any damage, you won't have to pay the hour!) If the car gets damaged, make sure you turn it in an hour late so you get charged if you're that worried. Should cost less than $10 usually.
Old May 25, 18, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Credit card insurance on award rentals
Old May 25, 18, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miadeals View Post
Do you have a chase sapphire preferred? It has primary coverage for CDW.

Are you going to have to pay *any* fees at all, *any* taxes at all, etc? Because if you do, then you're covered according to the terms and conditions. "1. Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit. 2. Decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver or similar provision if it is offered to you." That's it. It says nothing of using a coupon or discount (ie, an award day) making it ineligible. I assume they're going to charge you for *something* (mandatory airport fees, etc) and as long as you put all of them on the same card, I'm sure you're good, I wouldn't worry one bit about it.

If for some reason they are not charging you, then make your reservation for 3 free days PLUS ONE HOUR and pay the one hour (bonus: if you turn it in before that hour, without any damage, you won't have to pay the hour!) If the car gets damaged, make sure you turn it in an hour late so you get charged if you're that worried. Should cost less than $10 usually.
I ditched my CSP, but my Chase Ink Business card has primary coverage (for business trips). Hertz will charge me for taxes on the award rental, so I think I'll just go with that and hope I'm covered. I think the ambiguity comes from "complete the entire rental transaction using your card" - I can easily imagine them being weaselly and say that I was completing *part* of the transaction using points and not the card, but whatever ... it's only a few days rental and not long distance (or high risk) driving.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:57 am

Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - silver medallion
Instead of an extra day, go for your 3 days using rewards for a full-size car, and upgrade to something fun (they have lots of options at LAS). The upgrade fee will serve as the rental charge that you need to validate the coverage.