$20 Change Fee -- Not

Old May 19, 18, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Exclamation $20 Change Fee -- Not

My 4 day rental was going to extend to 1 week. I called to find out if it was worth driving back to the airport for a new contract. It wasn't.

But as the phone rep dutifully itemized the amount, she said, "And that includes a $20 change fee." Huh?

Well I've had a few dozen rentals I kept longer than originally planned, and never had a change fee, whether I called it in or not.

So I said, "Thanks for the info," and didn't make any changes on the phone. I just returned the vehicle one week after renting it, and sure enough the total for my bill was precisely $20 lower than what the phone rep had quoted me.

The daily rate was adjusted to a weekly rate by adding a daily "Late Return Fee", but I saved $20 by not making informing Hertz of the change.

What a counterproductive fee. It discinentivizes customers from communicating changes in their rental plans, making availability even harder to forecast!
Old May 19, 18, 5:55 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Counterproductive yes, but the reality is that 99.9% of renters will just pay the fee because they don't know any better. There are lots of instances where savvy folks who read FT don't pay for things that the average person does. And Hertz is probably fine with that. They'll take an extra $20 where they can (which is more often than not). It will only discinentivize the people who realize there is another option, which IMHO is few.
Old May 19, 18, 8:01 am

Not necessarily. Some people might realize they need to extend because they are still too far away from the return location to get there in the time they originally expected.
Old May 19, 18, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you keep the car much longer than what was on the rental contract, at what point are you driving it without permission of the owner, effectively grand theft auto? I'd worry about the consequences of a police stop or accident. Could insurance refuse to conver you in such a circumstance. IANAL, but I'd be very nervous about just keeping a rental car for another week.

I'd also worry that when it's returned, Hertz could do the equivalent of charging the rack rate to hotel guests who refuse to leave at a time when the hotel is full. Ex post, they can probably charge whatever they want, although I confess I don't recall the contract language for those extra day rates etc.
Old Jun 20, 18, 10:13 am

Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - platinum medallion
A hint: you can make changes to a contract at any nearby hertz location, no need to drive all the way to the original facility
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 20, 18, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Firstboss View Post
A hint: you can make changes to a contract at any nearby hertz location, no need to drive all the way to the original facility
But would these locations charge the $20 change fee?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 24, 18, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I do extend a rental regularly. Have never been charged a fee either on the phone or at a different locale.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: