Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade by oil change?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Are people really saying cars on the north America market need an oil change every 5,000 miles? About 15,000 miles or annual is now usual in Europe.
Are you sure you didn’t mixed km and miles? 15k miles would be about 24k km and 15km would only be 8k miles.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by heubergen
Are you sure you didn’t mixed km and miles? 15k miles would be about 24k km and 15km would only be 8k miles.
There are some cars out there with published 15k mile intervals between oil changes.

The actual frequency of oil changes needed is a function of a number of factors (time, miles, type of driving, weather, etc.). The engine computer has all that data, and can calculate when the oil actually needs to be changed. So, basically, in a newer car with a "change oil" indicator, there's no need to change the oil until you see the oil change light come on.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:28 am

We use miles in the UK, so I'm not confusing miles with kilometers.
As example, for cars currently on sale by ford in UK, the interval is typically between 12,500 miles and 18,000 miles.
With Avis or Hertz, the car will have a sticker saying the car must not be driven beyond 12,500 miles - the fleet is typically disposed of at that point (Most cars on uk rental fleets are on manufacturer buy back deal).
Old May 23, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: Hertz PC
I did a one way hire from Edinburgh to London and was given a Vauxhall Corsa with a sticker stating not to let it go above 15k miles. The rental was Ł1.99 for 2 days through the Hertz One deal to move cars to London. I think the reason is to sell them there where they'd get more money for them?

https://www.hertz.co.uk/p/hertzone
Old May 23, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Well those are very few days of rental, I'm renting for about 60 days. As I never saw or heard anything about a "hard" limit of miles I'm just going to use it as planned. If they wanna kick me out and let me rent with Enterprise when I'm over 25 and have more money than now it's their call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.