Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade by oil change?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade by oil change?

I'm currently on a longer rental (approx. 60 days) of a 4-Size Car and I'm making a lot of miles so I can change my car when the next oil change is due (I called Hertz and they confirm that(?) maybe somebody can share his experience with it?) and I was wonder if you think that it would be possible to "upgrade" the rental than for a higher price and get a better car? Like from 4-Size to Premium or something like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:06 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It's going to be hard to upgrade classes in the middle of your rental. You might be able to go back to the original renting location, but I think they will struggle with charging you an upgrade fee for only a portion of the rental.

As far as an oil change goes, often you can get it done on your own at a local garage and Hertz will reimburse you, but you'd need to call first to get authorization for that after letting them know the mileage. Alternatively, you can try to go to the location and swap cars for something equivalent, but again, I'd call them first to clear that.
AndDee likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:08 am

In regards to upgrading post rental, the system does allow it. (It's just a standard exchange, when you assign the vehicle, it then asks for the upsell amount) However, DASH (their rental system) isn't smart enough to calculate it for just some days. So, it'll backdate the upgrade charges for the entire term.

You can go into the contract, and add a credit for the upgrade for the days that it wasn't upgraded. However, for such a long contract (and a large amount), the agent may be unwilling to do it without a manager's approval. I (as a previous agent) would do it, and notate why in the contract, but that's just me and how well I knew management.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ummmwhat
In regards to upgrading post rental, the system does allow it. (It's just a standard exchange, when you assign the vehicle, it then asks for the upsell amount) However, DASH (their rental system) isn't smart enough to calculate it for just some days. So, it'll backdate the upgrade charges for the entire term.
I was today at a Airport location and tried it...
They offered my upgrades between 35-99$/day. I didn't like cars and the amount to pay so I choose to change to a different car in the same category with lower miles. I'm okay with it.

Other question that @Ummmwhat maybe can answer me (or anybody else with experience); for the new car (about 5k miles) there's no indication when the next oil change is due. Should I just wait till the car notify me or when "can" I go back to a hertz. I though 8k or 10k miles?
Old May 19, 2018, 5:30 pm

I admire the fact that firstly you're paying attention to the oil change schedule and secondly that you seem to actively want to assist Hertz with the maintenance of their vehicles! Let me know if you ever have a used car for sale! For me the point of renting is that I *dont* have to worry about this kind of stuff. The importance of on-schedule oil changes it something I care about in my own vehicles because of longer term reliability but for a rental? No way.

For a car with 5,000 miles on it, when the next oil change is due would be the last thing on my mind. Even if you're covering stratospherically high miles each day as you seem to be, I would say it's not something to worry about. If the oil change light comes up, switch the car out.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:36 pm

You do realize that you can drive cross country and back and still not hit 6K miles right? Additionally, Hertz can put you on the Do Not Rent (DNR) list if you drive more than 3,500 in a single month. Do you really think you'll hit 8K miles or more?

I'd return the car for an oil change at 7K miles or sooner if the oil change light comes on before you hit that.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bjam99
I admire the fact that firstly you're paying attention to the oil change schedule and secondly that you seem to actively want to assist Hertz with the maintenance of their vehicles! Let me know if you ever have a used car for sale! For me the point of renting is that I *dont* have to worry about this kind of stuff. The importance of on-schedule oil changes it something I care about in my own vehicles because of longer term reliability but for a rental? No way.
I have a Camry with 235k for 1k$ somewhere in the Midwestern to sell :P
No, honestly; the reason why I pay attention about it is because than I have a good reason to change my car again and I like it to drive different cars. Is that weird?

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You do realize that you can drive cross country and back and still not hit 6K miles right? Additionally, Hertz can put you on the Do Not Rent (DNR) list if you drive more than 3,500 in a single month. Do you really think you'll hit 8K miles or more?
It's not like I'm driving miles just to get to a oil change quicker, but I'll have the rental car for about 60 days and in this time I'm going to hit all 48 states so it's very likely that I'm going to hit the 8k. I had just about 3k miles in two weeks from LAX to South Florida.
PS:And doesn't your blog say that punting miles on the car is NOT a reason to get on the list?
Old May 19, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by heubergen
I have a Camry with 235k for 1k$ somewhere in the Midwester to sell :P
No, honestly; the reason why I pay attention about it is because than I have a good reason to change my car again and I like it to drive different cars. Is that weird?^^

It's not like I'm driving miles just to get to a oil change quicker^^ but I'll have the rental car for about 60 days and in this time I'm going to hit all 48 states so it's very likely that I'm going to hit the 8k. I had just about 3k miles in two weeks from LAX to South Florida.
Sounds like you certainly like to put on the mileage. Just a warning that at this pace, it may be your last Hertz rental.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like you certainly like to put on the mileage. Just a warning that at this pace, it may be your last Hertz rental.
Thanks for the fair warning but it's not like I really have a choice. I like to see all states and that's just the consequence of it. I hope it ends well for me. Otherwise there are still two other company-groups and as soon as I'm over 25 I don't care about hertz anymore.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:58 pm

Yes, that is true. You may not have an issue with them, but there are always other options.

As an aside, coincidentally we have a blog post on this exact topic that we plan to publish later this week. Here's a preview of it.
heubergen and Bjam99 like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

You mean other options for me as a renter? I spent a lot of time find out what options I had and the one I did hertz with AAA discount was really the only one that was affordable.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:06 pm

I meant other options if you get put on the DNR list as in Avis/Budget and Enterprise/National/Alamo.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
I can can attest to this first hand. Some 10 years ago .. the girlfriend rented a car in her name for a month long summer trip to Anchorage Alaska with a return through Edmonton. It was roughly 8k miles driven in a 3 week period. She was kindly asked never to rent again. I’ve had multi month rentals where I’ve had to go cross country and driven roughly 5,000 miles in a month - but that’s been balanced with months with only 1 to 2k so I’m still averaging under the 3.5k. Also like the poster above I am a stickler for oil changes and will try to change as close to the 5,000 number allows. Sometimes I’ll exchange - other times I’ll find the nearest Jiffy Lube if I really like the car. Again if your a frequent renter (I.e. President Circle) and don’t abuse the system on a monthly basis .. going over once or twice probably won’t end your relationship with them

I'd return the car for an oil change at 7K miles or sooner if the oil change light comes on before you hit that.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:50 pm

Are people really saying cars on the north America market need an oil change every 5,000 miles? About 15,000 miles or annual is now usual in Europe.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Are people really saying cars on the north America market need an oil change every 5,000 miles? About 15,000 miles or annual is now usual in Europe.
They don't. Typical recommendation for new cars is every 7,500-10,000 miles. Some people like to get it changed really frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.