Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund of Infringement Administration Fee?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 10:59 pm
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Refund of Infringement Administration Fee?

I've just been charged an 'Infringement Administration Fee' by Hertz for sharing my address with the authorities for a alleged parking offence. The particular parking violation was appealed and I expect it will be cancelled. I don't see why I should pay a fee for an incorrectly issued parking ticket. Does anyone else have any similar experience?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When incorrectly alleged for a missed toll, once I had the mistake fixed with the company that requested the details from Hertz, I had that company reimburse me for the fee that was assessed by Hertz

Hertz was asked for details , provided the details and charged in accordance with its terms
Old May 3, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Once the violation is appealed, send proof that it was successfully appealed to Hertz and they'll almost certainly remove the fee.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:37 am
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
I've just read the rental terms for Australia https://images.hertz.com/pdfs/RT_FULL_AU_EN.pdf and I don't think this gives the the right to charge the processing fee for passing on notices of fines. It is badly written so it is difficult to tell. It says "We will work with authorites to pass on notices of fines and parking charges to you, and also charge you the Processing Fee." What exactly does this mean? Is it enforceable?
Old May 10, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by sam
I've just read the rental terms for Australia https://images.hertz.com/pdfs/RT_FULL_AU_EN.pdf and I don't think this gives the the right to charge the processing fee for passing on notices of fines. It is badly written so it is difficult to tell. It says "We will work with authorites to pass on notices of fines and parking charges to you, and also charge you the Processing Fee." What exactly does this mean? Is it enforceable?
Seems pretty clear to me:

1. "We will work with authorites to pass on notices of fines and parking charges to you" = if we receive a notice or fine of parking charge from a government agency, we'll pass that on to you.

2. "and also charge you the Processing Fee" = We'll charge you a processing fee for doing item 1 above.

In another part of the agreement, it states "We will pass on notices for the fines and parking charges to you, and also charge a Processing Fee (unless you have purchased SuperCover)."

In yet another, it defines Processing Fee: "The amount payable for administrative functions Hertz undertakes including the payment of, or handling of any claim for, any charges and penalties, such as processing of traffic fines, penalties and toll way use (where Toll Cover is not purchased)."
Old May 10, 2018, 12:24 pm

Indeed

It seems pretty clear that it has it covered in the terms; whether the organisation/agency claiming that the infringement occurred was correct in its claim or not, Hertz processed it and so the charge is valid

Whether or not the infrinmgement occurred, Hertz provided the service
Old May 10, 2018, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - The fee is not for imposed by Hertz because you violated the law, it is imposed by Hertz for the administrative tasks associated with complying with the law enforcement request.

However, you will find that if the "infringement" is dismissed (or whatever it is that ends one of these in the jurisdiction in question) that Hertz will refund the fee as a customer service gesture.
seawolf likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I had a toll violation on the express lanes which wasn't covered by the plate payment thing (not very well explained either).

Hertz would only refund $15 of the $30 admin fee as a gesture. Got the toll settled for $0.75 in the end as I had a FastTrack account, but still had to pay Hertz.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - The fee is not for imposed by Hertz because you violated the law, it is imposed by Hertz for the administrative tasks associated with complying with the law enforcement request.

However, you will find that if the "infringement" is dismissed (or whatever it is that ends one of these in the jurisdiction in question) that Hertz will refund the fee as a customer service gesture.
I would not assume that Hertz Australia will do so
Old May 10, 2018, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sam
The only thing which could have been worded better is that "the processing fee" might be better as "a processing fee" but that doesn't really affect whether there is some sum of money due.
cestmoi123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.