Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report 2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0T (RWD)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Ride Report 2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0T (RWD)

I picked this car up off the PC row at STL. It is a 2017 and had nearly 25,000 miles on it but it still seemed like it would be a fun ride. The XM still worked.

The car is RWD and has a 300 HP 3 Liter Turbocharged V6 and a seven speed automatic. The engine is the star of this show. It is smooth, it is fast and the power is applied to the ground via the rear wheels. I really really hoped I would love this car but instead I wound up only liking it. The transmission is smooth but in the standard mode it is a bit quick to upshift and a bit hesitant to downshift. The sport mode is much better but unfortunately you need to reselect sport mode every time you start the car up. The steering was... uninspiring. Handling was fine but it didn't really scream "sports sedan".

As far as I could tell, the only optional feature this car had was the Bose sound system and the V6 engine. The fact that heated seats are not standard on this car kind of blows me away (but then again I live in MN). Because of the sweet sweet engine and the RWD drive layout, I would not hesitate to rent this car again. For use as a daily driver, I could look past the numb steering and I would be fine with the handling (assuming the price was right). What would give me pause however, is the infotainment system.

I think the idea of a dual screen layout is a fantastic idea. Unfortunately it was implement really poorly. Every time the car was restarted the upper screen deafulted back to the giant analog clock and the lower screen defaulted back to the menu screen. It took multiple keystrokes to get the screens back to what I wanted. The car also did not have Android Auto or Apple Car play. The car did have the built in capability to read your text messages to you, but actually having the system read back the text messages took multiple keystrokes. As far as a I could tell, there was no way to dictate a response to an incoming message. The scroll controller on the center console appeared to be of limited functionality. It did not seem to be able to control any of the menus on the lower screen.

nldogbert and Gammur like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Had one of those for the past 3 weeks. It started with 4 miles on it when they gave it to me.

The upper screen is horrible, howver, I had a QX80 SUV thing in Chicago and it had the navigation on the upper screen, if that is there it all makes sense, but i guess the smaller cars Hertz doesn't get the navigation.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:52 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
I've driven this model before and the 2.0L model. Indeed the 3.0L model is slightly better compared to the 2.0L model. I have the same feeling as you, I do want to love this car, but I can only "like it very much". From functionalities and gadgets point of view, indeed there seems to be lots of functionalities lacking, but again, this is a rental car so most probably Hertz only gets the most basic one. Though still agree for what is a semi luxury car, I would have expected more even in the basic model - compare to what you get in a basic BMW or Merc.
The only very positive thing about the car is the fuel efficiency, I was very impressed with it even with the occasional pushing on the accelerator, especially the 2.0L one, I had frequently just around 500 miles from a full tank which to me is mighty impressive. The 3.0L is slightly less, but still I could manage to squeeze out approx. 450 miles.

The story is different for the Q60, which is heavier - the best I could get out from it was about 400 miles, which is not too bad, but it was also less sportier than the Q50 because it was heavier.

Best is of course the Q70 with the AWD 3.0L - but fuel efficiency is quite bad.

Cheers!
Old May 3, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Had one of those for the past 3 weeks. It started with 4 miles on it when they gave it to me.

The upper screen is horrible, howver, I had a QX80 SUV thing in Chicago and it had the navigation on the upper screen, if that is there it all makes sense, but i guess the smaller cars Hertz doesn't get the navigation.
The upper screen in a model equipped without nav is a waste of space - I've driven a few Q50s and Q60s from Hertz (SFO PC is a great place), only once did I mange to finagle one with the right package. It also had a few other that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Overall as far as a rental goes, I've been a pretty big fan. I wouldn't buy one, but the 2.0t and the 3.0 are both good enough for a bit of fun. The Q60 AWD got awful mileage in my experience though.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had one in Las Vegas earlier this year. I drove it out to Death Valley NP with two other people so we enjoyed the extra space and comfort of the ride. That said, I did find it a little gutless when I put the hammer down, especially compared to my Audi A5 2.0T back home. I actually think it's a downgrade from the G35s of a decade ago. It looks and feels to me too much like a Maxima.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I had one in Las Vegas earlier this year. I drove it out to Death Valley NP with two other people so we enjoyed the extra space and comfort of the ride. That said, I did find it a little gutless when I put the hammer down, especially compared to my Audi A5 2.0T back home. I actually think it's a downgrade from the G35s of a decade ago. It looks and feels to me too much like a Maxima.
It is a Maxima in almost every way, just different sheetmetal, engine, and RWD. All improvements but not enough it seems.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Ultimately I could get past all of its problems if it just had Apple car play and android auto. The maxima has it, why can't the infinity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.