Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Debit Card (have fly ticket) and under 25 LAX Questions

Old Apr 17, 18, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I'm in the unhappy situation that I only have a Debit Card and that I'm under 25. I want to rent a Car from Hertz at the LAX Airport for about 60 days. The renting price will therefore be around 3000$. Insurance is good but I'm a bit concerned about showing up with my Debit Card. It's issued here in the US but I'm from Switzerland and have a ticket back to there. Are there any issues with Debit Cards and how much do you think will the hold be?
Old Apr 17, 18, 8:59 pm

From Hertz.com: " at Hertz Airport locations, you will be required to provide proof of a return airline flight to coincide with the rental and present two (2) valid forms of identification; ". I think the return ticket term refers to a ticket with an arrival when you start your rental, and departure when you end your rental. Perhaps someone has experienced this themselves so they can chime in.
Your hold should be rental cost + $200 (I think), as they don't mention the hold to be any bigger for debit card users.
I hope you are an AAA member so that your underage fee is waived.
One thing you should keep in mind is CDW for your rental - you probably want to have some and the one from Hertz is very expensive. Unless you are able to book from one of the European websites which would include all insurance in the rental cost.
Old Apr 17, 18, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

I could probably rent it from the European site and I also saw the difference there but my insurance covers for the rental car (I asked the specifically about that) so I'll don't need the CDW.
As I'm staying here in the US as a International Student I can only provide the Return flight but I hope that's going to be okay.
Old Apr 18, 18, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by heubergen View Post
I could probably rent it from the European site and I also saw the difference there but my insurance covers for the rental car (I asked the specifically about that) so I'll don't need the CDW.
As I'm staying here in the US as a International Student I can only provide the Return flight but I hope that's going to be okay.
Does your insurance also cover liability? I don't know how big of a deal it is with the airline ticket, but you could always just buy the cheapest one way ticket into LAX on the day you're planning to rent. When you're paying $3000 for car rental $25-50 to make sure you can actually get the car seems like a bargain.
Old Apr 18, 18, 4:31 am

Programs: Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz President ś Circle , AF- KLM Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
I'm in the unhappy situation that I only have a Debit Card and that I'm under 25.
The simple answer on your question is No.
To quote Hertz about LAX
" Special Service at this Location
  • Special Instructions – Please note: Credit Cards and Debit Cards may be used to qualify at the start of the rental; however, there are some restrictions regarding the use of a Debit Card. To qualify for a rental using a Debit Card, you need to be at least 25 years of age. "

So you have to get your own credit card.
    A student card issued by a bank
    Parents of family helping you with an extra card within their account,.

Succes !

Last edited by bedeve; Apr 18, 18 at 7:43 am
Old Apr 18, 18, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Luckily that you made a mistake and probably were looking at the wrong location. LAX Airport has different terms than any other location around Los Angeles:
Please note: Credit Cards and Debit Cards can be used at the start of a rental, however there are some restrictions regarding the use of a debit card. To qualify for a rental using a debit card, you will be required to provide proof of a return airline flight that coincides with your rental and present two (2) valid forms of identification.
via https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/locat...angeles/LAXT15
If I'm wrong please correct my, but it wouldn't be good for me as I'll never able to get a Credit Card without a SSN or TIN.
bedeve likes this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bedeve View Post
The simple answer on your question is No.
To quote Hertz about LAX
" Special Service at this Location
  • Special Instructions Please note: Credit Cards and Debit Cards may be used to qualify at the start of the rental; however, there are some restrictions regarding the use of a Debit Card. To qualify for a rental using a Debit Card, you need to be at least 25 years of age. "

So you have to get your own credit card.
    A student card issued by a bank
    Parents of family helping you with an extra card within their account,.

Succes !
I believe this is the case for Hertz Local Edition rentals, but not for airport rentals:

Using Debit Cards to Qualify for a Rental

At many Hertz locations, debit cards under a VISA, MasterCard and Discover logo which draw funds directly from the cardholder's account may be used at the outset of a rental to qualify for the rental where the following requirements are met:
  • at Hertz Airport locations, you will be required to provide proof of a return airline flight to coincide with the rental and present two (2) valid forms of identification;
  • at Hertz Off Airport locations, you will need to be at least 25 years old, present two (2) valid forms of identification and one of the following: (a) provide a Corporate Discount Plan (CDP) number or (b) proof of a return trip travel ticket to coincide with the rental (airline or cruise). However, there are exceptions to this general policy; Debit cards are not accepted at the outset of a rental to qualify for rentals in the New York Metropolitan Tri-State Area (NY, NJ, CT), areas of Hartford, CT, areas of Philadelphia, PA, areas of Boston, MA, areas of Manchester, NH, areas of Detroit, MI, areas of Baltimore, MD and Atlanta, GA.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...NT&EOAG=LAXT15
bedeve likes this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Note the usage of the word "return" is different in the US than in the British English you may be more familiar with. In US usage, Hertz is specifically asking for proof of your flight segment returning you back home (or at least somewhere away from the airport you're renting at)--that gives them some sort of assurance that you'll actually return the car, since you'll have a flight to catch.

They don't need to see the full "return itinerary"--in US usage, that would be referred to as a "round-trip itinerary." Hertz doesn't care how you get to the airport, they just want to make sure you're leaving it.
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Oh okay, yeah I can provide my ticket for my flight back to Europe.
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
You can try and get a secured CC from BOA or other banks w/o SSN i believe.
Old Apr 22, 18, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by mdbe View Post
You can try and get a secured CC from BOA or other banks w/o SSN i believe.
Though not Wells Fargo.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: