Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do you guys use Hertz for their free car rental perk or Airline miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Switching from Avis to Hertz. I made the mistake of trying to get avis points and after a year got only like one free rental, when I could have accumulated AAdvantage points for renting a car.

Do you guys find it more valuable to opt out of getting hertz points in exchange for Airline miles (for example AA offers 4x with hertz per $1 spent)

Or do you opt out of getting airline miles in exchange for hertz points for one day to be able to rent a free car for a day.

Background: I rent 24 times per year from M-F.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
See my response posted in the similar thread you started in the FT Avis forum.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:32 pm

I switched to National because the company I work for has negotiated smokin' rates with both. Problem was, I wasn't getting anywhere with Hertz because they award rental points based on dollars spent. National awards based on the number of rentals (1 free day for every 5 rentals for EE level). Obviously, people with a lot of short rentals will benefit over people with long term ones. So... YMMV.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
The points you get for the rental depend on the price paid, while the airline miles depend on the number of rental days.
So, choose to earn miles for the cheap ones, and points when you overpay for your rental.

For my taste, the best usage of point is for one-way rentals or the few overpriced airports in the USA, and 1-week rentals in Europe
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
The promotion with United is great. That's the only reason I even use Hertz. 2,750 miles per rental (including cheap $20 one day rentals). Last summer, it was up to 5,750. That is an incredible value, and I was making car rentals just to make car rentals. No need to mile run when you can get a new car and more miles then flying.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

rental cars don't count towards EQM though (aka the mileage that counts towards airline elite status), they just count towards air miles (for free flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.