Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Odd Pricing

I'm looking at one-way rentals from the northeast to south Florida in June. A one-way northbound rental is showing up as $8.99 a day, but a southbound rental for those same dates is around $300/day. Is this unusual to have such a huge price discrepancy based on which direction you are driving the car? Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rj7878
I'm looking at one-way rentals from the northeast to south Florida in June. A one-way northbound rental is showing up as $8.99 a day, but a southbound rental for those same dates is around $300/day. Is this unusual to have such a huge price discrepancy based on which direction you are driving the car? Thanks.
Not unusual at all, to and from Florida.

Most rental-car companies -- not just Hertz -- offer very low Florida drive-out rates in the Spring, and Florida drive-in rates in the Fall.

​​​​​
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:31 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Yes, what @guv1976 said. See below for more info:

Budget Lists Arizona and Florida Drive-Out Offers, Follows Enterprise's Lead on Higher Rates

Budget and Enterprise Offer Competing Arizona Drive-Out Specials
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:42 pm

When I did a FL driveout in 2009, I was picking up my Chevrolet Cobalt from Hertz at the Miami Airport. Right then, a Chevrolet Impala with PA plates was being returned. The attendant confirmed with the customer they did a one-way from Newark Airport for $178/day. I asked the customer why they would do such a thing, when the reverse for that size of car was ~$10/day. The lady looked back at the car, now parked in the ready aisle, in shock and disbelief. I think in her case she said she had to help bring her daughter home from college.

But, if you have any choice at all in the direction you take your trip, it's best to go with the "flow," rather than attempt reverse peak or out of season. The only exception to that might be if you use free days, and are leaving an expensive market, ideally where you can choose your car, to go one-way to a smaller one.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not unusual at all, to and from Florida.

Most rental-car companies -- not just Hertz -- offer very low Florida drive-out rates in the Spring, and Florida drive-in rates in the Fall.

​​​​​

Thank you so much to those who responded. This is my first experience with drive-out rates. Quite interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.