Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

New to Hertz Gold Plus Five Star Rewards - Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Hertz

Hi - hoping to get some advice for an upcoming rental.
I am a Hertz Gold Plus Five Star member via my credit card, but this will be my first ever booking with Hertz - I'm coming from broker bookings, and thought it high time I started sticking to one brand.
I'm picking up at LAX and returning to Vegas Airport 6 days later.
I'm booking online and see a 5 Passenger Standard SUV (Group L) SFAR at a great price, that I'd like to go for. Quoted as included are:
  • Airport Concession Recovery Fee
  • Loss Damage Waiver
  • Total Sales Tax
  • Liability Insurance Supplement
  • Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery
  • Customer Facility Charge
  • State Tourism Assessment
  • Unlimited Miles Included
Optional extras at the counter are:
  • Personal Insurance
  • Premium Emergency Roadside Service
So, questions I have are:
1. Does Loss Damage Waiver cover every eventuality with the car? Is there a scenario where I might be financially liable for anything at all? It appears to be included in the price. There are vague references to "SuperCover" during the booking process as being available "at the counter" but it isn't clear at all how/what/where or why I get this, or if I need it.
2. Car upgrade - I understand I get a one class upgrade as a GOld Five Star member - how does this work in practice, and what car type can I expect to upgrade to from a "Standard SUV".
3. I see no mention of one way drop off fees anywhere - can I assume this is included in the price I'm paying up front online?
4. Anything else to consider picking up from LAX?

Thanks - appreciate any pointers to what I am sure are basic questions to most here.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:15 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

1. Yes, LDW covers you completely without exception. There is no such thing as Super Cover in the U.S.
2. The upgrade does not apply to SUVs -- only to Economy through Fullsize cars.
3. Yes, if a drop-off fee is not specified, then there shouldn't be one.
4. Nope, it should be pretty straightforward. You should have an assigned spot upon arrival (look at the Gold board and/or check your email for a notification of what vehicle you were assigned) and just drive to the exit gate. It should be pretty simple and easy.

Have a great trip!

EDIT: Since it's your first booking with Hertz, you may be required to go inside to have them swipe your credit card. Hertz LAX has a dedicated Gold desk, so head there as opposed to waiting on the regular line if your name is not on the Gold board.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:37 pm

Your credit card probably already covers a lot of those extra options.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you sirs - very helpful! First trip to California - looking forward to it.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by m907
Your credit card probably already covers a lot of those extra options.
Maybe, but maybe not if the OP (who didn't fill out his/her FT profile so we don't know anything about his/her location) is from overseas, which I suspect, since he/she is referencing making a booking that includes LDW and has references to SuperCover, both things that one would expect to pop up if someone were making a reservation through a non-US website.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:29 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
4. Nope, it should be pretty straightforward. You should have an assigned spot upon arrival (look at the Gold board and/or check your email for a notification of what vehicle you were assigned) and just drive to the exit gate. It should be pretty simple and easy..
I haven't had an "assigned spot" at LAX in some time. Usually, you go to the aisle of the class of the car you rented and pick out what you want. Maybe SUV's are different. The shuttle will drop you off in front of the Gold desk building, check the board for your name and if you don't like the choice assigned (if they did assign one,) check the aisle for what you want in the same class category of course. 5* has it's own aisle usually with full-sized cars, though sometimes they throw in others.

Seems 5* with Hertz is somewhat like have lifetime PLT on AA. No big deal.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:50 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

OP will have an assigned spot since he reserved an SUV. You only are directed to the UC area if you book an ECAR through FCAR.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Should have said I'm UK based. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz President ś Circle , AF- KLM Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
1. you may be required to go inside to have them swipe your credit card. Hertz LAX has a dedicated Gold desk, so head there as opposed to waiting on the regular line if your name is not on the Gold board.
Important point !
You can avoid that by going to an Hertz location in your neighbourhood and let them register your driving license en creditcard you used with your booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.